Best IWB for Full Size - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 05:46 PM

Best IWB for Full Size

First off let me say hi since I am new here... Now that that is out of the way, I come to you folks with a question. I am new to the 1911's and am currently in the process of getting my CHL. I have a full size 1911 that I plan on using as my carry weapon however looking at holsters is a very daunting task. I have a few specifications and wants in a holster which are concealable (obviously), comfortable, fair price (preferably under $75), 3 to 3:30 carry position (although I am open to other suggestions).

I am sure that threads such as these are very frequent an this forum and I hate to be the guy who posts yet another one, but I have searched the forums for info and haven't really come up with a lot of information. So any information or suggestions that y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all.

-Mike
Old 05-27-2010, 05:55 PM

Welcome to the Forum!!!

most will post that the Milt Sparks VM-II is the holster to get, and they will be correct. i doubted that the holster would be that nice, so i bought one. I liked it so much, i bought 2 more, so i would have one in 5", 4.25" and 3"
Old 05-27-2010, 06:31 PM

I do not doubt that the VMII is probably going to be the best consensus-wise and would like to get one but I like my Summer Special II pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 PM

Well I like the VM2 but at $150, its a bit steep price-wise. I have tried the Summer Comfort style holsters and find those give me a bit of a problem trying to conceal it. I am 5'10" and about 170 pounds which makes for a challenge when it comes to concealing a weapon, especially one of this size.

Im also open to other ways of carry other than IWB just so long as it is concealable.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's1911 View Post
Well I like the VM2 but at $150, its a bit steep price-wise. I have tried the Summer Comfort style holsters and find those give me a bit of a problem trying to conceal it. I am 5'10" and about 170 pounds which makes for a challenge when it comes to concealing a weapon, especially one of this size.

Im also open to other ways of carry other than IWB just so long as it is concealable.
Well, you could order the VMII from the factory and it would be $110 or so. While waiting, you could pick up a SuperTuck or the like. I have a Nick Matthews on order for my M&P45c that was $55 shipped. I haven't read anything negative about Nick Matthew's holsters so that may be another option for you to consider.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned

I like the IN-COGNITO I.W.B. by Garrity's Gunleather.. very very nice!
http://garritysgunleather.com/IWBHolsters.htm
Old 05-27-2010, 07:19 PM

I'm partial to Alessi's GHW. I have several, including a left handed version to allow back up carry.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:22 PM

Milt Sparks Summer Special II.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 PM

All of the aforementioned recomendations are great ones; I carry either the VM II or the summer special II. I would try a search simply for "IWB" or look at the IWB picture thread on this forum. And keep in mind the conditions under which you want to carry; this can help you in choice as much as anything else.

H. L. Mencken
Old 05-27-2010, 08:05 PM

I can tell you this: I have about 10 various IWB holsters for a 5" 1911 in my drawer from various makers. All of them good. I finally bought a VMII and it is now used exclusively for IWB carry.

Total cost: approximately $900.

Now, the VMII is not perfect for everyone. There are some people that it just doesn't work for. Here's the good news; if you're one of the few that are not VMII compatible, you can turn around and sell it and recoup 100% of your investment if you bought it through normal retail channels. Usually within an hour or less of posting a for sale ad.

Joe
Old 05-27-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry33 View Post
Milt Sparks Summer Special II.
I'll second this one. Go to Brownell's and order from them unless you want something special in color / trim. I ordered mine from Brownell's and had it in my hands in three days time IIRC. My SA Mil-Spec conceals very well. I'll add that you will want to get a good gun belt as that in itself helps the concealment factor. I recommend you check out www.agcustomgunleather.com. Al is a member here (ABC3) and his customer service is second to none.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 PM

Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. http://pkiholsters.com/

IWB, OWB, 27 ways to adjust the way it's worn IWB.

Lifetime warranty, never needs cleaning or maintenance, can hold 10 pounds of weight on the mouth without collapsing at all without reinforcement. 100% leather. A bit expensive but you definitely get what you pay for here.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROD45 View Post
Well, you could order the VMII from the factory and it would be $110 or so. While waiting, you could pick up a SuperTuck or the like. I have a Nick Matthews on order for my M&P45c that was $55 shipped. I haven't read anything negative about Nick Matthew's holsters so that may be another option for you to consider.
+1 As you wait 6 months+ for your VMII, order a Crossbreed or CompTac (be there in two weeks). I LOVE my recent NM, but I don't see much of a purpose for a NM and a VMII.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:17 PM

I'll stick with Crossbreed super tuck-use it for my 5"-4"-and 3 1/2" very comfortable (horsehide version) they made it and shipped in a week.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:59 PM

My advice is to save up and buy a quality rig (holster, belt, mag carrier) first time around. It will serve you well for years to come - after all, we are talking about protect your life and those of your loved ones. Go with leather, in general, the most comfortable and concealable.

I have IWB holsters and rigs from Sparks, Bulman, 5 Shot , Alessi, and Ritchie Leather. All will carry a full-size 1911 well, although skinny (especially skinny waisted) people may find the VMII too much leather.

Finally, do not cheap-out on a belt. Buy a belt from one of the above makers and you will be happy. Feed back also praises belts from the Beltman and AG Custom.

HTH,
John
Old 05-27-2010, 11:08 PM

I can't and won't talk about the "best." We are blessed with many, many fine artists in leather these days.

Check out my buddy Nick Mathews http://www.nm-holsters.com/

I have been very happy with his products.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mannatt View Post
I'll stick with Crossbreed super tuck-use it for my 5"-4"-and 3 1/2" very comfortable (horsehide version) they made it and shipped in a week.

Wow! Wish I were that lucky. I ordered mine coming upon a month ago and haven't seen it yet.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 AM

My minituck took the whole of 4 weeks. They have on their site that it could take that long. I got some lifesaver candies with it too lol
Old 05-28-2010, 12:39 PM

I have holsters from Sparks, SuperTuck, and just about everybody around! I have found an IWB from a great guy, VERY INEXPENSIVE, and every bit as good (or better than the SuperTuck). They run around $40.00, ship FASTS, and are GREAT holsters. The company name is "Kholster" and the owner's name is Jimmy. A great guy to do business with. I ordered one for my 1911 and after using it for a while, have two more on order for other firearms as of yesterday. The company internet contact follows:
http://www.kholster.com/
Give him a try........ You will be pleased as can be with his product.
Happy Trails,
Jeffro
Old 05-28-2010, 12:42 PM

Just my two cents..

Depends on the situation for that day..If I'm going to be wearing the holster at 3-5 o'clock I go with my Milt Sparks VM2. I also find it very easy to conceal a 4" 1911(light t-shirt) with my Milt Sparks #1 Heritage at 11-12 o'clock(Basically an all leather-external and internal, to protect the pistols finish, SSII. It features an internal stiffing band,between the two layers of leather at the top, for a thinner profile, that aids in one handed reholstering. This holster also has a membrane between the two layers of leather on the side that comes in contact with your body,to protect the pistol from sweat. Which living is southern Florida is truely a concern). I think the #1 Heritage should be looked at more closely by those interested in carrying IWB, as I find myself using it more then my VM2. As said in previous posts, the most important aspect in a daily carry rig is a good quality "gun" belt..
Old 05-28-2010, 02:40 PM

I'll second the Garrity Incognito Deluxe. It's suede backing makes all day carry so comfortable at times I forget I'm carrying a full size 1911.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raytracer View Post
I can tell you this: I have about 10 various IWB holsters for a 5" 1911 in my drawer from various makers. All of them good. I finally bought a VMII and it is now used exclusively for IWB carry.

Total cost: approximately $900.

Now, the VMII is not perfect for everyone. There are some people that it just doesn't work for. Here's the good news; if you're one of the few that are not VMII compatible, you can turn around and sell it and recoup 100% of your investment if you bought it through normal retail channels. Usually within an hour or less of posting a for sale ad.

Joe
Amen Brother!

This is the story of many who eventually went to the VM II. I have owned three, I did sell one as I no longer owned the firearm for which it was made; I did not lose a DIME on that holster. I have yet to find a IWB that compares for all-around verstility and concealability.

H. L. Mencken
Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC $80
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95
Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 PM

Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe is incredibly comfortable for fullsize pistols. If you have to have leather check out C5Leather.com, great holster with a good turnaround time.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:18 PM

Ok, after talking to some people who have 1911's and trying different ways to conceal mine on my own body, I have a few more things that I would like to try and find in a holster aside from what I have already mentioned. First thing that is kind of a requirement is a forward cant. With the large size of the frame I have to cant the holster I am playing with right now in order to get it fully concealed (I have a thin body... lol). Second, I would like to find one that has a thumb break. I will be carrying condition 1 all the time and I am a bit worried about something accidentally tapping the firing pin with just enough force to cause the chambered round to go off. So are there any holsters that fit my criteria?