230Gr FMJ for CCW? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Porter38 Porter38 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 91
230Gr FMJ for CCW?

Gents & Ladies - I just joined the forum and look forward to the interaction.

230 Grain FMJ for CCW?

I just got my CCW permits for Utah and Florida. Moving from California to Virginia this summer and plan on carrying (after out of CA) for the trip and then in VA which honors both states' permits in addition to 36 other states. Yes!

I have a SA 1911-A1 LW Compact (4"bbl) which I can only get to reliably feed FMJ rounds. I've tried several popular HP rounds and I even tried CorBon's new PowR'Ball. Unfortunatley, the rounds hit the ramped barrel and stopeth there. I have new mags and all the springs (pistols & mags) are good to go. The pistol is accurate (for CCW work), light, easy to conceal, and has night sites. I do plan on having the ramp polished by a gunsmith when I get to VA, but until then FMJ is my option.

So - I welcome your thoughts on going Old School with my ammo choice. I checked the Ammo section here and found a few positive comments as well as this discussion forum.

Thank you!

P.S. If all else fails, I have a SA XD-9 but the 1911 is easier to conceal & .45ACP - forget about it!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2010, 09:18 PM
AndyC's Avatar
AndyC AndyC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 55
Posts: 6,444
I wouldn't have an issue with carrying FMJ. Reliability is #1 in a defensive pistol - anything after that is gravy, but by all means have your pistol looked at so that you can, in the future, have a wider range of choices.
__________________
My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2010, 09:50 PM
master gunner master gunner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Richmond VA
Age: 73
Posts: 9,041
Worked in a couple of world wars plus some skirmishes.

__________________
1SG
The Friends of Elwood P. Dowd and Pooka preservation society
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 PM
FAAPOD FAAPOD is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by master gunner View Post
worked in a couple of world wars plus some skirmishes.

+1
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Larry33 Larry33 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 23
Reliability and well placed shots are more important than the "bullet type". If ball ammo works then use it and practice!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Black Jack Black Jack is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,278
In your situation, with FMJ being the only thing that your pistol will feed reliably, I would feel fine with it. However, since Springfield does have a lifetime warrantee, I would also call them to see if they will make it work with JHP.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Tra Vinh Tra Vinh is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by master gunner View Post
Worked in a couple of world wars plus some skirmishes.

+2

FMJ is the only round I carry for SD in my 1911.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 AM
banzai7 banzai7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ct
Posts: 265
I carry it too.
Let's face it, the .45 isn't the best penetrator in the handgun world, and the addition of HP ammo can reduce penetration. The ball round is tactically flexible. Starts big, goes deep, ends big. What's not to like?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-24-2010, 02:34 PM
I3>1911 I3>1911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
ah no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orutra View Post
One caution on FMJ which only applies if you reload your ammo......carry only factory ammunition. If you were ever involved in a shooting a knowleadgable, agressive DA might try to impugn the integrity of your shoot by painting you as a person who makes his own ammunition to be a more efficient "killer". This might seem to be a bit of minitia to some but there are cases on record where the use of "special" ammunition did nothing to help a justifiable shooting.
It's either good shoot or not, let's not pass on BS. If you have a case where it was a good shoot and they were jailed because of the round used, post it. If not, and I mean no disrespect lets not turn this into camp fire stories.

V/r
I3>1911
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Largo Largo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,542
90% of the time I have carried a .45 it has been loaded with ball, though the Great Continuing Ammo Shortage has played a part in that.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Tim Burke's Avatar
Tim Burke Tim Burke is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: NC
Posts: 10,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3>1911 View Post
If you have a case where it was a good shoot and they were jailed because of the round used, post it.
While the ammo won't turn a good shoot into a bad shot (or vice versa), there are case reports of prosecutors trying to make an issue of reloaded ammo. Avoiding reloaded ammo removes their ability to even raise it as an issue. Ayoob also reports a case of it being an issue because the gun shot residue tests didn't match the story. IIRC, the reloaded ammo in the gun wasn't the same as what was used for the GSR tests.
__________________
TB., NC
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-24-2010, 04:21 PM
I3>1911 I3>1911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post
While the ammo won't turn a good shoot into a bad shot (or vice versa), there are case reports of prosecutors trying to make an issue of reloaded ammo. Avoiding reloaded ammo removes their ability to even raise it as an issue. Ayoob also reports a case of it being an issue because the gun shot residue tests didn't match the story. IIRC, the reloaded ammo in the gun wasn't the same as what was used for the GSR tests.
If a reload can't turn a good shoot into anything else, what are we really talking about? Who has been locked up because they used a reload in a good shoot? I would like to see a "real" case where someone was put away for using a reload. While we wait I won't hold my breath.
V/r
13>1911
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Foxnut Foxnut is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3>1911 View Post
If a reload can't turn a good shoot into anything else, what are we really talking about? Who has been locked up because they used a reload in a good shoot? I would like to see a "real" case where someone was put away for using a reload. While we wait I won't hold my breath.
V/r
13>1911
The big reason not to use reloads is so the crime lab can do testing to a known standard. So when the BG claims you fired at him across the street and he has so much powder residue on his clothes (and they know that you used a XXX grain Remington whatever) the lab types can say it really was at a range of 10 feet...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 PM
AndyC's Avatar
AndyC AndyC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 55
Posts: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3>1911 View Post
If a reload can't turn a good shoot into anything else, what are we really talking about? Who has been locked up because they used a reload in a good shoot? I would like to see a "real" case where someone was put away for using a reload. While we wait I won't hold my breath.
V/r
13>1911
I don't know of a good shoot that went sour because of handloads, but there was the interesting case of NJ vs Danny Bias.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n26806104/
__________________
My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-24-2010, 08:24 PM
I3>1911 I3>1911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
i dont get it

Foxnut: I don't understand your post and how it relates to someone being put in jail. Weather or not he has xxx power and the levels of said power on his clothes is a non issue. If I shot him, I had a reason ie: he had a gun,knife etc... When I shoot him the weapon doesn't dissapear he can't argue why he tried to rob or hurt me, or what he was doing with that weapon, or any other nonsense. The shooting is going to boil down to good or bad PERIOD. Now what most people get rapped around is the fallacy of the DA being evil or out to get them. Yes, some sates are not for the gun owner and his right to defend himself, but if it's a good shooting, it is what it is. That being said a civil suite is a different animal. Sure, you could be sued and then maybe your realoded bullet could be called into question. But your job #1 is to make it that far, to win the gun fight and live to be judged by your peers. I wouldn't hesitate to carry a reaload because I thought at some point I could be sued if I had shoot someone. No way.

I also wouldn't be arguing with the person in question as he/she would pretty horizontal after our encounter. His family maybe him, nope.

V/r
I3>1911
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-24-2010, 08:42 PM
I3>1911 I3>1911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I don't know of a good shoot that went sour because of handloads, but there was the interesting case of NJ vs Danny Bias.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n26806104/
Andy:
Interesting yes, but I thought there was a lot going on in that case. I felt it was waaayyyy more then a "reload" going on there. It wasn't cut and dry or balck and white if you will. Something to think about and food for thought for sure. Thanks for posting that.

V/r
I3>1911
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-24-2010, 08:54 PM
J_Kellogg J_Kellogg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3>1911 View Post
Yes, some sates are not for the gun owner and his right to defend himself, but if it's a good shooting, it is what it is.
True. I can't speak for other states, but here in Ohio, the cops and DA's don't file charges against people who were legitimately trying to defend themselves. That's why people who carry need to be disciplined and exercise good judgment, because if you're wrong, surprise! you're now the bad guy. And that's the way it should be.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-24-2010, 09:15 PM
str8shooter1-230 str8shooter1-230 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8
I'd say 230 fmj,it's worked for a long time! It's all about practice,practice,practice! It don't matter what you use if you can't hit what your shooting at. I'm sure they are some on here that know what's better,but 230fmj never let the Army down!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 PM
I3>1911 I3>1911 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Kellogg View Post
True. I can't speak for other states, but here in Ohio, the cops and DA's don't file charges against people who were legitimately trying to defend themselves. That's why people who carry need to be disciplined and exercise good judgment, because if you're wrong, surprise! you're now the bad guy. And that's the way it should be.
Completely Agree.

V/r
I3>1911
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 PM
shooterinpa shooterinpa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by orutra View Post
One caution on FMJ which only applies if you reload your ammo......carry only factory ammunition. If you were ever involved in a shooting a knowleadgable, agressive DA might try to impugn the integrity of your shoot by painting you as a person who makes his own ammunition to be a more efficient "killer". This might seem to be a bit of minitia to some but there are cases on record where the use of "special" ammunition did nothing to help a justifiable shooting.
I read this all of the time in these internet forums, yet have never seen a single case of this actually happening.

Do you have a link to one?
__________________
PA Constitution:
Right to Bear Arms Section 21.
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Jim V Jim V is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Michigan
Age: 77
Posts: 9,204
This thread has swung so far off the OP's 230 grain ball ammo question I am tempted to close the thread. Drag this thread, screaming and kicking, back on topic. If you want to discuss reloads v. factory ammo, start another thread.

I do not wish to become IRKED.
__________________
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Stella's Fella Stella's Fella is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,432
Like others have stated, there's nothing wrong with 230 FMJ. However, if was MY gun, I would get it over to my most trusted gunsmith A.S.A.P. to find out why it won't feed anything BUT FMJ. You may run across a situation where you NEED ammo and all the FMJ is sold-out and all that's left is "boutique" ammo. Then what are you gonna do?

I'm not trying to scare you, I just wouldn't wanna be S.O.L. in a pinch.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-25-2010, 05:54 AM
VARMONTER VARMONTER is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vermont "Permit.. We don't need no stinking permit"
Posts: 177
I shoot fmj 230 grain as practice.I find it whacks pretty hard.I can imagine it would do likewise to a bg.I would worry about over penetration..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Nick Riviezzo Nick Riviezzo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 608
The 230 gr. Government Hardball NEVER failed me when I had to use it. I will say,most of the people I had to deal with were smaller framed Asian types.I did ,unfortunately, use it against a Caucasian or so, and I say again,IT NEVER FAILED.It will not knock your man down[nothing you can hold will do that] but bullet placement is the key.A good double tap to the torso,or from the top of the sternum up,will make your adversary sick enough to desist. Shoot 'til he is no longer a threat.It is not reliable against vehicles or windshields but not too many times you really want to shoot into a vehicle.Nick
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Porter38 Porter38 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 91
Many Thanks!

I appreciate all of the excellent feedback! To sum up:

1. 230 Grain FMJ will work just fine as a defensive round.
2. I should get the pistol to a trusted smith for a look-see at what is going on (I think the ramp needs polishing).
3. Shot placement and practice are key.

Again, thank you for sounding off.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved