1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:58 PM

fusion parts any good?

I was looking on ebay for a msh for my kimber raptor.I found a guy that sells alot of fusion parts.I was looking at picking up a chainlink msh,a 40 S&W extractor,a 1 piece guide rod,and a slim grip bushing kit.So are these a pretty good product? I have one more question.The extractor in my 40 is SS,but at the back where it sits in the slide it has turned black.I am assuming that this is because it is loose and/or rotating somewhat.Have you guys experienced anything like this before? If it is discolored from being loose,should i go ahead and order a new fps.Thanks for your input.
Springfiel loaded SS 45 acp,Springfield loaded SS 40 S&W,Colt defender 45 acp,Kimber stainless raptor II 45 acp,Kimber pro carry II 45 acp,Kimber eclipse pro II 45 acp,Rock island 45 acp,Glock 19,22,23,27,30,Taurus 24/7 oss-ds 40 S&W,Ruger lcp,Walther p-22
Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 PM

Nothing wrong with Fusion parts. I put one of their bar-stock slide stops in my Kimber and I was very happy with the quality and price. I would shop on their web store first, my SS was $19 and shipping was $2.95 and it shipped 3 hrs after I ordered it on the web, in hand 3 days later.

Bob and crew know what customer service is all about!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsans View Post
Nothing wrong with Fusion parts. I put one of their bar-stock slide stops in my Kimber and I was very happy with the quality and price. I would shop on their web store first, my SS was $19 and shipping was $2.95 and it shipped 3 hrs after I ordered it on the web, in hand 3 days later.

Ok i checked their website.Looks like ebay would be $9.00 cheaper for all the parts listed.The only thing i don't know is if he will combine shipping.If i end up going with fusion based on the info i get here and Since you said their customer service is good,i will probably order from them even if it costs a few dollars more.
Springfiel loaded SS 45 acp,Springfield loaded SS 40 S&W,Colt defender 45 acp,Kimber stainless raptor II 45 acp,Kimber pro carry II 45 acp,Kimber eclipse pro II 45 acp,Rock island 45 acp,Glock 19,22,23,27,30,Taurus 24/7 oss-ds 40 S&W,Ruger lcp,Walther p-22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:

They have a $19 bar stock slide stop?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
Was... now $22.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servle...Blue%2C/Detail
Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
Sure it's an investment casting sort of bar stock kind'a thing.

LOG

Old 03-04-2010, 10:15 PM

You want to look at this hammer and read the hype under it? The hammer is obviously an investment cast hammer, but instead he says something clever and more or less true. The irony is, it just isn't being said about this hammer and many other parts which are also grievously miss-represented by similar wording. Kind of a used car salesmanship kind of presentation. Sell the sizzle! Take the money, hey it's business!!

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servle...2C-Blue/Detail

LOG

Old 03-04-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Not bar stock just because it is miss-represented as that, but investment casting that the pin has been machined.

LOG

Old 03-04-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
Not bar stock just because it is miss-represented as that, but investment casting that the pin has been machined.

LOG
They have two, one says bar stock and the other states investment cast. The cast is cheaper... I would hope Bob isn't intentionally misrepresenting it.

Quote:
This is a Fusion Firearms 1911 Precision Pro Series, Checkered Slide stop in heat treated alloy carbon steel with black Oxide protective finish. Precision machined from bar stock. This is a very high quality part, Solid steel No-MIM. .1995 - .200" diameter staft to help aid in precision lock-up. Great product for new build 1911's and rebuild projects.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
They have two, one says bar stock and the other states investment cast. The cast is cheaper... I would hope Bob isn't intentionally misrepresenting it.

Yes, there are two, one serrated and one checkered. And yes I do not believe who ever wrote the verbiage was matching the description to the part.

Many say ". All CNC Machined parts are from Solid Steel stock, NO-MIM." and that is true of CNC machined parts, but the one that the description is about is a casting, so what was said isn't false. But certainly misleading.

LOG

Old 03-05-2010, 05:09 AM

How about the issue with my extractor? Does anybody have advice?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:37 AM

Are you just concerned about the discoloration? Is it a stainless steel part or a carbon steel part that has been coated or plated? Does it function correctly? Do you have the ability to install a new extractor and firing pin stop? If so, neither the extractor nor the firing pin stop is an expensive part so have at it. If not then you may be trading a small problem for a bigger one.

Last edited by Dave Berryhill; 03-05-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 AM

I bought a "Barstock" mainspring housing from them off Ebay, it ended up being a John Masen Mainspring Housing

What's that phrase, "Caveat Emptor "?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:43 AM

I'm not sure what material it is.I believe i can fit and install myself.I have had issues with the gun in the past with mainly the first round out of the mag getting stuck on the feed ramp.I replaced the recoil spring and it has been flawless since doing so.I do feel that i've only hidden the real problem though.I would like the experience,and have done alot of reading on the subject so i believe the price of the parts are cheap enough to have experience. Sorry for the pics being so bad,and thanks for the help.

Attached Thumbnails
048.jpg   047.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
I bought a "Barstock" mainspring housing from them off Ebay, it ended up being a John Masen Mainspring Housing

Did the listing show a fusion tag attached or laying underneath of the part?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 AM

I put a solid barrel bushing from Fusion in my series 70 to replace the collet one. Fit and finish are nice. No troubles.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh2214 View Post
Did the listing show a fusion tag attached or laying underneath of the part?
Yup
Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:

It's called relabeling, and claiming it's from your state of the art CNC plant. Makes some proud, but the truth comes out. Like I'm not really a famous movie/sports star. Off shore. I really like the barrels description also, ”Drop in match" , makes you think hey I can do this myself and be just as good as a GS fit barrel. Problem is the feet are over cut to ride the link and the first barrel lug recess is .058" deep instead of .040"-.045". So, you don't always get what you pay for.

LOG

Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
"All CNC Machined parts are from Solid Steel stock, NO-MIM." ... the one that the description is about is a casting, so what was said isn't false. But certainly misleading. LOG
Yes, castings and bar stock are both "solid steel stock," but it appears to me that this is intentional - the description is carefully worded so that the inference to a casual reader is that the part is "bar stock."

Quote:
Good grief.

As well as I would imagine the company has done just with their timely, responsive customer service, why would they then shoot themselves in the foot with this sort of thing? Disappointed. Bad move. Thanks for bringing these matters to our attention.

Best,
Jon
Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Banned

To answer the question "Fusion parts any good?", I'll begin by saying that I have experience with only a handful of items from their product line. I don't need any more experience (i.e. wasted money) to find out that I will stick with my usual lineup of parts.

I ordered a "Thick Flange Match Grade" barrel bushing from the Fusion website. The flange was .093" thick, the bore diameter was .583", and the OD was .698". Hardly match grade specs unless you have a tight slide and a fat barrel.

I don't have a bone to pick with Fusion personally. Just make the product live up to the hype.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:53 PM

Generally the parts I've changed out with Fusion parts are much worse than the Fusion parts. I'm disappointed in the false advertising or implication mentioned here.
The ebay parts I've bought have been either Fusion or Wilson's, and after buying a Wilson sear I saw it was MIM, that was a surprise. It went back. At least the package said it was MIM, though it was too small to see it in the ebay ad.
416 stainless Sig P-238 & P938 triggers
Old 03-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned

I don't really like fusion just because I know they use other peoples parts and then market them as their own. So for me that is a no-no. I will stick to Ed Brown, EGW, Wilson, and Caspian. Most of Fusion parts are STI, which STI gets from some off shore manufacturer (Hint hint... look at their Spartan). I am sure STI makes a lot of their parts, but I know they get some from other manufacturers.

Last edited by Caspian17; 03-05-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Banned

I recently bought a STI thumb safety from Midway to change out the ambi safety already on my Fusion pistol.

I noticed Fusion had the EXACT same safety on their sight but they didn't mention it was made by STI.

When I bought the pistol I wanted them to change the safeties out and Bob agreed to do it for free but told me it would take some time because the safety had to be refinished. After waiting a few days I told him nevermind and I did it myself. After getting the STI/fusion thumb safety from Midway I noticed the finish is exactly the same as the other parts on my pistol, and I promptly fitted and installed it.

I noticed the same thing with the mags on Fusion's site. But I can't beat those prices at any other site so I still buy from them.

...yes, they do mislead, but at least the parts they aren't making are still well made (by someone).

Last edited by Kamau; 03-05-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Erickson View Post
I don't have a bone to pick with Fusion personally. Just make the product live up to the hype.
No way what you said could be considered "a bone" - all you did was state facts of what was marketed, and then facts about what you received. Completely objective.

I will say, though, that I have bought two receivers from them, and while they needed a little frame-ramp tweaking, everything was located where it should be. Plus, as far as I know they're the only game in town if you want an aluminum receiver.

Best,
Jon
Old 03-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned

Jon that is correct if you want aluminum. I just don't like the business as a whole . If I wanted an aluminum receiver I would buy it, but nothing else. I just don't like their business practices. You could say that it is shady at best.
Closed Thread