New edition Combat Elite Commander .45 issue? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 04:23 PM

New edition Combat Elite Commander .45 issue?

While troubleshooting my hollowpoint feeding issues, I've noticed that my upper locking lugs on the slide are rounded. Although the pistol appears to lockup fine, I'm curious to know if this is an issue to be concerned with since the pistol is still under warranty? Also of note, the rounded areas are beneath the Ionbond finish, so this came from manufacturing.

I've never noticed on my other Colt's nor any other 1911 for that matter. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0663.jpg   IMG_0662.jpg   IMG_0661.jpg  

Last edited by gtmtnbiker98; 02-16-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:43 PM
Administrator

That is a very roughly machined inner slide, and it appears nothing was done to clean up the burrs inside. It's hard to tell if that is wear to the lugs or simply the burrs being peened over. Unfortunately Colt will likely say it's "within specs", but I would still get in touch with them.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:49 PM

It's actually not a bur, but rather a "scalloped" edge and it is beneath the Ionbond finish, so this is machined. I'm leaning on keeping it as is, since I'm well aware that Colt will say that it is within spec, since doing anything else would result in a new slide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 06:04 PM
Administrator

The thing that gets me is that a $350 Tisas 1911 doesn't have those deep tooling marks inside the slide, so why the hell is a $1200 Colt like that?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:05 PM

That looks piss poor not to mention what looks like chatter marks past the lugs. I would demand a new slide.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:05 AM

I would ask for them to replace the slide and bbl.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:47 AM

agreed that’s not acceptable on any 1911, let alone THAT 1911. Don’t settle for less than what you deserve in all fairness. You are not nitpicking this problem.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_eod View Post
I would ask for them to replace the slide and bbl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
agreed thatís not acceptable on any 1911, let alone THAT 1911. Donít settle for less than what you deserve in all fairness. You are not nitpicking this problem.
This is why I don't buy guns sight unseen. I inspect them before I take possession. If I don't like what I see, me no buy.

Buying a gun and have it transferred to a local FFL...you're screwed and now you will have to deal with Colt customer service.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:38 AM

Just waiting on a shipping label to be emailed and it's off to Connecticut.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
Just waiting on a shipping label to be emailed and it's off to Connecticut.
Good for you! Let us know how they handle it please.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:59 AM

Good. Make sure they annotate the repair ticket and it includes a complete tech inspection after the repair and test fired.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:58 PM

Don't buy a gun without inspecting it, now he is screwed dealing with Colt. In 55 years of buying guns, I have never seen a dealer that would let you disassemble a Brand NEW gun before you would buy it. A used one, yes, but not a new one.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:41 PM

Shaking head....That machining shows all the love, attention to detail and quality control that I would expect to see in, say, a 1945 Spreewerk production P.38.....

Best, Jon
Old 02-18-2020, 05:31 PM

I’ll update this thread when I get the pistol back this summer.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:49 PM

I'm assuming you sent it to Colt. And you don't expect it back until this summer??

Heckler & Koch's US Customer Support department consists literally of 3-4 people, and they routinely get things turned around in a matter of days.

We can argue that there's a difference between a mass production polymer frame gun that needs little to no component replacement fitting, but the last time I checked Colt 1911s were still a mass production item, and I'd think with production component parameters tightened up with CNC manufacturing things would be a magnitude different than they were in, say, the 1940s...maybe not.

Then again, since Brent was ousted, Colt aftermarket customer support has not exactly surged upward in terms of responsiveness, at least anecdotally from what I'm hearing and reading.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the initial manufacturing quality, and the clear lack of component quality control, and then by what seems to be a pretty lethargic corrective customer support corrective response timeframe.

i would think that it would be smarter and more economically efficient/profitable for Colt to have higher quality of manufacturing and/or QC, or just to bite the bullet and simply replace guns like this....They could later fix and sell as a used second, etc.

But the last time I checked, I'd didn't see them soliciting my advice or offering me a position...

Best, Jon
Old 02-18-2020, 08:53 PM

Five Little Words - United Auto Workers Union shop.

When Colt was an old fashioned Guild system outfit, "Perfection Prevailed".

UAW comes in, the Feds require hiring on racial/sexual/diversity quotas - and the Union won't let you fire incompetent workers - and so it goes. Injection molded plastic is harder to screw up - and since it only costs five bucks to mold a frame, you just pitch it if it isn't 100%. I thought CNC machines would solve machining glitches, but even they have to have their cutters and oil changed and be monitored by someone who gives a damn.
People used to fear for their jobs when they screwed up - not anymore. And that is sad. I don't know what the answer is, when pride in your work is not as important as your I-Phone.... CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 02-19-2020, 05:54 AM

Unions have out lived their usefulness...
Joe
Old 02-19-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The thing that gets me is that a $350 Tisas 1911 doesn't have those deep tooling marks inside the slide, so why the hell is a $1200 Colt like that?
When I sent my $1100 AR15A4 in, I told them how much better the various $400 rifles I had seen looked. Too many people in Hartford think they can sell things on name alone. To be fair, I have seen some very well made 1911s in recent years, but not every gun is built by the same person.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:39 AM

FedEx just picked it up, will advise once received back.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Rogers View Post
Unions have out lived their usefulness...
Joe
In some respects yes. In other respects no. I am not a union man. I was white collar upper management till I retired at age 55.

Do not underestimate the corporate willingness to pay American labor the absolute least amount possible and still get away with it. Union workers make higher wages than non Union workers. THAT is an indisputable fact.

Unfortunately, union leaders are often simple minded fools who's ONLY concern is power and lining there own pockets.

There is a middle ground...... somewhere.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
In some respects yes. In other respects no. I am not a union man. I was white collar upper management till I retired at age 55.

Do not underestimate the corporate willingness to pay American labor the absolute least amount possible and still get away with it. Union workers make higher wages than non Union workers. THAT is an indisputable fact.

Unfortunately, union leaders are often simple minded fools who's ONLY concern is power and lining there own pockets.

There is a middle ground...... somewhere.

The above sums up all you ever need to know about corporations and unions. AKA...people.

Hope your return works out for you. Keep us posted.