1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
Put a sign up and ask people to shoot there to organize a clean up day, some time all people need is direction
Unfortunately, the sign would just become a fresh target !
Old 02-16-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svh View Post
Unfortunately, the sign would just become a fresh target !
^^^Thats for sure^^^. We have 6x6 inch posts with the yardage markers from 25-175 yards on each side of the range and they get shot...
Old 02-16-2020, 07:39 PM

A lot of them are the same guys who are determined to shoot somewhere without paying a range fee. They would never consider joining a club. They'll drive a hundred miles to shoot for free. And it's because they can't get away with trashing the place with rules. They'll empty a mag into the berm with no target because they can't really shoot in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
A lot of them are the same guys who are determined to shoot somewhere without paying a range fee. They would never consider joining a club. They'll drive a hundred miles to shoot for free. And it's because they can't get away with trashing the place with rules. They'll empty a mag into the berm with no target because they can't really shoot in the first place.
Exactly right.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:49 PM
Administrator

I agree a sign would do not good and simply get shot to pieces as well. And yes I've been to gravel pits and the like where people were just blasting away at the hillside with no targets. They just wanted the thrill of firing away with a gun and couldn't have cared less what they were actually shooting at.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
I have found about 90% of the people do clean up after themselves but it is the other 10% or so that are total slobs.
I've found the exact opposite in just about every situation in life. I call it the 90/10 rule. No matter where you go, no matter what situation you're in, there will be the 10% carrying the 90% and of that 10%, there will be one in ten that are truly benevolent and outside themself.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0025xx View Post
I've found the exact opposite in just about every situation in life. I call it the 90/10 rule. No matter where you go, no matter what situation you're in, there will be the 10% carrying the 90% and of that 10%, there will be one in ten that are truly benevolent and outside themself.
Yeah, I guess I'm just to cynical because I'm going with the 10 90 rule myself. Just been my experience most do whatever the heck they please. It's not a new phenomenon but it does seem like it's gotten much worse since I was younger.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy1911 View Post
Put a sign up and ask people to shoot there to organize a clean up day, some time all people need is direction
I did that in the national forest camping area, came back a week later and the human swine used the sign as a target and still left their trash.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Well I went back there this afternoon, and the place had been cleaned up noticeably. Still some shot-up garbage lying around, but not nearly as bad. Looks like there are a few dedicated people using that site who have to be like Mommy for the Saturday slobs who trash it every weekend.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:37 PM

I think we here realize that manners are what keep us civilized. The lack of manners being taught to younger generations shows up in these people defacing historic landmarks in national parks, for example. The “do unto others” motto is unknown to them. Not only do they leave a mess after blazing away aimlessly, but are the same ones who think nothing of muzzling others (I have even seen them put their red laser on each other with laughter). When I see these people, I try to get away from them as fast as possible.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:07 PM

I think the worst is on National Forest land I have found where someone shot up a big pine tree with a .223, left at least 100 brass cases laying on the ground and 10 live rounds that FTF. The tree was badly damaged about 5 feet above the ground and there was a gully behind it and the "back stop" was the rising side on the other side of the gully about 150 feet behind the tree. All kinds of wrong with this!
Old 02-19-2020, 10:17 PM

I agree with you and we have a Wildlife Management Are which the C.E. try to keep clean and still pigs mess it up after the W.M.A. crew go through..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Somebody recently clued me in on a spot in the woods where I can shoot, and today I checked it out. It took a little effort to find the exact spot they were talking about, but once I did there was no mistake about it. Oh. My. God. The location itself was perfect, a bulldozer track with a small uphill grade making it ideal for setting up targets at various ranges. But the trash everywhere was freakin' unbelievable. Besides the fact that the ground was nearly an inch thick with steel 7.62x39 cases and assorted brass, all the broken target stands, shot-up wood boxes and tin cans, wet paper ammo boxes, broken clay pigeons, plastic bottles of every shape and size... it would take a couple of good-sized garbage trucks to carry all of it away. And I won't get into the shot-up tree trunks and stumps everywhere that looked like the aftermath of an artillery barrage.

Already there have been several places around here that have been closed to shooting for this exact reason. If people keep doing this we will no longer have anywhere to shoot except at expensive indoor ranges. If I go back there I'll bring a couple of trash bags to get rid of the worst of it, but sadly I think it'll be a futile effort.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:09 AM

Fortunate to have my own range on some land just a few miles from home.
In my county there is a large National Forest that extends into a couple other counties.
Hiking, hunting and fishing is all OK there, and naturally, people have used it for informal shooting. This has recently received ALOT of media attention as it's against the rules on NFS lands there.
The media makes much of how dangerous it is for hikers, NFS employees, etc. - and that's true to a degree, but of course they sensationalize it to the max.

What seems to be out of the question is to build a public-access range on the NFS land.
I know there are ranges on other NFS land in our state and it's all but common in other states.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Well I went back there this afternoon, and the place had been cleaned up noticeably. Still some shot-up garbage lying around, but not nearly as bad. Looks like there are a few dedicated people using that site who have to be like Mommy for the Saturday slobs who trash it every weekend.
That's refreshing.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
That's great, really too bad there's no way to exclude or make sure those who don't actually cleanup after themselves. It's the one's who always screw things up who screw it up for the rest of us.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:23 AM

I thank the Lord I have my own range to shoot on. Granted it's my in-law's land, but I'm the one that takes care of it. I actually have two ranges set up on their property. However, every now and then when my brother in law has been out there he "forgets" to pick up his trash and it pisses me off to no end. Bad thing is he sets a terrible example for his son. He's been known to throw drink bottles on the ground and leave them there. I have garbage cans at each range for that purpose but they seem to be oblivious that the cans are even there.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Unfortunately, if they left garbage cans or burn barrels at these outdoor shooting spots they'd simply get shot full of holes or blown up with Tannerite as well.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
I guess there may be some truth to the term white “trash”.

But seriously....this stuff drives me nuts. People are just lazy a holes
If you think it is only White people doing this then you are living in LaLa land with no grasp on reality. People of all races are well known to be quite capable of messing up areas. If you think only White people have firearms you are again mistaken.

Last edited by Snapdragon; 02-20-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:59 PM

Folks that leave their trash sure make it harder on the folks that don't.. No excuse except poor upbringing.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:02 PM

It doesn't take very many slobs to totally trash out an area. My favorite spot recently became the dumping ground for a refrigerator and a gross old mattress, and an assortment of plastic containers. It was pristine a year ago.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:04 PM

Trashing Is also Dangerous

I was a ranch owner and did let some people hunt birds on it but told them to clean up any and all trash before they left. After they were done I checked and found a lot of shotgun hulls left, some even in piles, also food wrapers ect. . Next time they ask I said no. Why? Hulls have brass ends and when, not if, cows eat them a disease called hardware disease is very costly to treat if treatable. The price of a farmer or ranchers live stock is going to cost you a lot more than time to pick up your waste. Besides that I feel proud to be able to have a place like this to call home and would you want someone to trash up your yard. Just saying.

Quote:
Somebody recently clued me in on a spot in the woods where I can shoot, and today I checked it out. It took a little effort to find the exact spot they were talking about, but once I did there was no mistake about it. Oh. My. God. The location itself was perfect, a bulldozer track with a small uphill grade making it ideal for setting up targets at various ranges. But the trash everywhere was freakin' unbelievable. Besides the fact that the ground was nearly an inch thick with steel 7.62x39 cases and assorted brass, all the broken target stands, shot-up wood boxes and tin cans, wet paper ammo boxes, broken clay pigeons, plastic bottles of every shape and size... it would take a couple of good-sized garbage trucks to carry all of it away. And I won't get into the shot-up tree trunks and stumps everywhere that looked like the aftermath of an artillery barrage.

Already there have been several places around here that have been closed to shooting for this exact reason. If people keep doing this we will no longer have anywhere to shoot except at expensive indoor ranges. If I go back there I'll bring a couple of trash bags to get rid of the worst of it, but sadly I think it'll be a futile effort.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:47 PM

I still like to do things the way I was taught back in the old days by my Dad, Grandpa and the Boy Scouts.

If you don't have permission to be somewhere, stay out.
If the gate is closed, close it behind you. If it was open and you know it's usually closed, close it anyway.
If you bring it with you, take it back with you.
Leave everywhere you go cleaner than you found it.

And one I've since added, "Be The Neighbor You'd Want To Have."

So, whether I'm hunting, fishing, or shooting, I almost always bring a trash bag out that's filled with what I had with me and what others left behind.

Probably won't get anyone else to do it, but I don't do it for them. I do it for me.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:17 PM

Sadly, there's a large portion of society that does not honor fine traditions of etiquette and decency.