For goodness sake people, clean up a little!!! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 07:55 PM
Administrator

For goodness sake people, clean up a little!!!

Somebody recently clued me in on a spot in the woods where I can shoot, and today I checked it out. It took a little effort to find the exact spot they were talking about, but once I did there was no mistake about it. Oh. My. God. The location itself was perfect, a bulldozer track with a small uphill grade making it ideal for setting up targets at various ranges. But the trash everywhere was freakin' unbelievable. Besides the fact that the ground was nearly an inch thick with steel 7.62x39 cases and assorted brass, all the broken target stands, shot-up wood boxes and tin cans, wet paper ammo boxes, broken clay pigeons, plastic bottles of every shape and size... it would take a couple of good-sized garbage trucks to carry all of it away. And I won't get into the shot-up tree trunks and stumps everywhere that looked like the aftermath of an artillery barrage.

Already there have been several places around here that have been closed to shooting for this exact reason. If people keep doing this we will no longer have anywhere to shoot except at expensive indoor ranges. If I go back there I'll bring a couple of trash bags to get rid of the worst of it, but sadly I think it'll be a futile effort.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:01 PM

agree
Old 02-15-2020, 08:21 PM

Happens around here on the BLM land...

There are so few places here to shoot...and the aholes canít even be bothered to clean up. We usually make it a point to fill two large trash bags in addition to our stuff each time we go out there. The Rangers are nice to us as they have seen us do the clean up of areas we were not shooting.

They will be the same ones bitching when they close those areas too...
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 08:21 PM

Yes, people are lazy slobs. Only when the place is closed will they care. When I go to the range I always leave it a little cleaner then I found it.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:28 PM

We live in a society where everyone thinks of number 1-they could care less what you think or care about as long as it does not interfere with themselves.
Nothing like a little proactive clean up would go a long way-I had shot at one of our State parks that had a 100 yard gun range-that was also a big mess-out in the sticks with no one to monitor the grounds.I wonder if it is closed by now-haven't been back there in years.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:55 PM

Once again proving that just too many
shooters are our worst enemies for the
shooting sports.

Just DSK's report proves to me that among
the worst are the AR shooters. Starting back
in the 90s I observed them as more clowns
than anything else. They come from the
same breed of shooters who buy boxes of
.30-30 ammo in the northern states and then
shoot up trees and woodland cabins because
they can't find a deer.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:39 PM

It's exactly the same at the local non public range. People carry their junk out there, shoot it up, and tend to leave it. If I were a vengeful prick, I might have pulled that hard drive from the last computer some tool shot up. Filled the computer full of holes, but never hit the hard drive.

The range has trashcans all over it.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 02-15-2020, 09:41 PM

I agree people are slobs, there is no cause for it. They only think of themselves today never mind the guy coming behind him that wants to shoot, hunt or camp. I was taught to leave the area better than you found it and I always tried to. The slobs wonder why access to areas is now prohibited. A number of years ago I asked a landowner permission to hunt on his land and was denied. Why? because some ahole shot one of his cows and others had left the area a mess. I'm not a tree hugger or landowner but I was taught to be respectful of others property but those before me had closed the door and removed the welcome mat. What does it take to carry a trash bag in you pocket or day pack, simple concept carry in carry out. If that was done maybe things would be different but I doubt it. The slobs have ruined it for everyone.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:43 PM

I agree.But heck, I have been to the parks for picnics,etc, and watched people sitting right next to a garbage can, get up and leave and not bother to throw their garbage in the garbage can. it wasn't like they had to walk a long distance to reach it either. it seems we have a new generation of pigs who just don't care about it all anymore.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:52 PM

There was an OLD solid waste landfill where we used to go shooting in the early '90's, while in college in sw NC. One of my classmates called the Sheriff's Dept. first, to CONFIRM it was "ok" to shoot there. They said, "Sure - EVERYBODY does," & as the PRICE to shoot was FREE (perfectly in line with the poor college kid's budget!), that's where we went.

Much as DSK described, there was brass EVERYWHERE (cheap Norinco was plentiful in those days, so you had a LOTTA their copper-washed 7.62x39 and x54 laying everywhere, but even WE left .223, .308, 9mm, .40, .45 & 10mm brass behind in THOSE days). It was a 'target rich environment,' as there were old stoves, hot water heaters, & couches aplenty; locals occasionally brought a car hood or fender up for practice as well.

We didn't bring in or LEAVE any extra trash (we packed empty ammo boxes out), BUT... we were already IN a dump. There was ONLY so much damage we could do...
Old 02-15-2020, 10:05 PM

i can never excuse slobs period. it takes litt effort to police your brass and clean up after your session. i suspect those that dont are pretty much slobs in many aspects of their life
Old 02-16-2020, 05:35 AM

Because their parents are slobs and their parents before them were too.

Respect for other's property is taught. We're not born with it.

It doesn't only happen on the gun range. It's everywhere around you.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:28 AM

Unfortunately, theres some shooters at the club i belong to who behave the same way.
For some reason those that shoot steel cased ammo must think it melts or disintegrates.
Its gotten a bit better because we’ve spoken up, but theres always going to be a few.
There was a nice fire pit next to the hut /shooting bench which was perfect to throw a little heat this time of year, but it started collecting peoples garbage besides...thats now gone.
“Leave whatever the place better than you found it”, isnt a difficult concept.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:33 AM

It’s a real shame that people can bring all that with them but not take it with them when they leave.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:28 AM

I live in a very pretty hilly and wooded area, but the area is economically challenged. There are people around here that seriously just throw their trash out into their yard, never mind that there is a county provided free dumpster with a couple of miles of most people's houses.

Never mind all the other junk they pack into their yards from lord knows where or why, adding to the clutter. Mind boggling.

My neighbors down the road from me are that way; nice people, not a pot to pi** in nor a window to throw it out of, and their yard and porch looks like a place you would not want to enter without a hazmat suit. Not joking. I would hate to see what their dwelling looks like inside.

A junky and trashy shooting area would go unnoticed around here, par for the course.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:28 AM

Itís truly a shame that people canít clean up after themselves these days. The outdoor private club that I belong to even has slobs that I often pick up after. It will be interesting in my area over the next couple of years as the DNR is putting in a new shooting range in the Gun Lake area. I havenít seen the proposed layout, but itís on roughly 30-40 acres, and is just remote enough that I am leery of how it will be used and possibly abused.

NRA Life Member, Patron Level
Old 02-16-2020, 09:32 AM

There are no cameras to assign blame and there are no consequences so your kind of going to get the worse human beings can possibly offer.

Now if you knew your neighbors and this was only being used by a select few you might stand a better chance.

When the wrong thing becomes the norm it takes even more to do the right thing. Most will take a look around and choose to just become part of the majority.

Last edited by Dddrees; 02-16-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:51 AM

Put a sign up and ask people to shoot there to organize a clean up day, some time all people need is direction
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 02-16-2020, 11:03 AM

If everyone takes a trash bag and removes their OWN stuff, as well as a little more....we would NOT have this problem.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-16-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desertrat View Post
If everyone takes a trash bag and removes their OWN stuff, as well as a little more....we would NOT have this problem.

This ^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Well, that sounds pretty easy. Too bad that's NOT what's happening.

Maybe that sign thing and clean up day may have some merit.

Personally I'm glad I belong to a private range where cameras are present and organized work days occur.

Last edited by Dddrees; 02-16-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Um...duh.
If everyone removed their own stuff, there wouldn't be a little more.
Unfortunately and sadly this isn't human nature.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:45 PM

I guess there may be some truth to the term white “trash”.

But seriously....this stuff drives me nuts. People are just lazy a holes
Old 02-16-2020, 04:12 PM

I have found about 90% of the people do clean up after themselves but it is the other 10% or so that are total slobs.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately I've been seeing slobs even at the indoor range as of late. The moment I walk into the members bay I see shot-up targets still hanging from their carriers, empty ammo boxes on the shooting tables, and brass cases littering the floor everywhere. And like I said, that's the members bay. The public bay is in use 100% of the time but I bet it would look even worse if the RSOs didn't spend all of their time in there making sure people didn't shoot themselves.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.