My New WC - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 02:43 PM

My New WC

I have been in the market for a beside gun and a second carry gun. Knowing generally what I wanted I started my search for the beside gun. Things I knew I wanted: CQB, 5 barrel, .45 ACP and a light rail. I was not 100% sure what I would ultimately get, I decided to start saving and not rush a purchase.

Not too long into the casual search the itch started to grow and I was heavily watching Gun Broker, Gunslingers and the WC site debating if I would just get a custom build or an in stock gun that fit the requirements. I was finding different CQBs that I liked, but wasnt thrilled with the price or was missing something I would have liked. I would send ones I found to the father to get an opinion.

Then the text message came in from the father with a CQB being sold on 1911 Addicts. CQB Tactical LE, 5 barrel, light rail, round butt magwell and with a price I was surprised to see. The pictures were not the greatest due to lighting, but also knew worst case I could have the AT refinished.

Previous owner had purchased the gun himself from a friend who never shot it. He had only shot roughly 700 rounds through it before having an unsuccessful hand surgery causing him to need a 9mm instead of a .45. The owner called this gun a gem. After only a couple hours into finding out it was available I had the discussion needed with the father and next thing I know it was sold!

Just picked it up from the local FFL yesterday as a wonderful Valentines Day gift to myself The grey and black looks great and to no ones surprise it is an extremely well fitted gun. Buying a gun online can cause concerns, but in this case I was a winner.

I will be changing the front sight. Currently it has a fiber optic, but I will be either getting a tritium or AmeriGlo replacement. Second debate I have is what light to use. Currently my go to brand is Steamlight and thinking about the TLR- 1HL. As some of you know I have good resources so I have one that I will be using until I make the decision and buy my own. The other option is going to an OLight. My local FFL had a couple on hand and shared them with me. The two in the running: PL-Pro Valkyrie which is 1500 lumens and rechargeable or the BaldrPRo which is 1350 lumens and has a green laser. Not concerned really about if its rechargeable or battery, just want the best light for my need. Anyone have any experience using an OLight?

Since I am in MI I have not yet been out to the range. Debating on if the weather will be okay or not to go to the outdoor range tomorrow. Mostly likely I will probably just pay some money so I can put some rounds through the gem I got at a nearby indoor range. Either way hope to have a range report for you all soon as I can never wait too long to shoot a new gun.
Attached Thumbnails
79E07108-A725-47D2-8F65-E5DDF9733EB5.jpeg   B3E52CD2-D10B-4AF7-AE95-A3D6387F6278.jpeg   FBA4CA9E-7F3C-4350-B61F-B3E311A80B3A.jpeg  
Old 02-15-2020, 02:56 PM

Fine choice! Great looking 1911!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2020, 02:58 PM

Very nice! I've been telling myself I don't need a rail gun from Wilson but I'm seeing so many show up it's getting hard to resist, I'm sure yours will shoot excellently and serve it's roll very well.

As far as lights go the TLR-1HL is always a great standard option that will perform excellently, the surefire X300U is another one to consider and is my current favorite due to the beam spread and total indestructibility. The laser versions of both those lights are also fantastic and provide a easy way to add optic type performance without the hassle of sending the slide in for an RMR and also provides for non-aligned shooting positions where you would otherwise be point shooting. Plus it is intimidating in the HD role since you mentioned that use and may very well provide a deterrent if that is a option you want available and or value to have. I have a similar HD pistol as you know and I think you have shot it in the form of my full-size Brown.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 03:02 PM

Congrats. I just got a CQB Elite Commander for my first WC and 1911. Happy shooting.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:06 PM

Congrats!!

Gotta luv that Midwest winter weather. Not

At least it hasn’t been to bad this year at least where I’m located anyway. Here’s hoping for warmer weather soon.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:19 PM

Very nice looking gun, congrats on a great find. It will serve you well.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-15-2020, 03:31 PM

That gun was well bought, congratulations
I'm a 1911 addict -- 9mm's: Volkmann Combat Carry, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, WC Sentinel Compact, WC ULCC, WC Bobtail Professional, WC EDC X9S, NH T4, NH Counselor, Staccato C and a G43 -- 38 Super's: WC Professional, WC Stealth, WC CQB Elite, DW CBOB, WC Sentinel Compact and a mid 70's Colt Commander (for a build, off to NH already)
Old 02-15-2020, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Nice choice on that gun D, congrats - will be patient to read the range report.

As far as lights, I won't go into brands since you're perfectly capable of figuring that out. But, I will tell you that for inside a house, unless the walls are dark, 1350 lumens is way too much and will give you as much trouble recovering your low-light vision as it does the BG. For indoors, I would not go too much beyond 300 - 400 lumens, and if your walls in your house are white or off-white, I'd stay closer to 300 for the upper limit; anything below 130 is pretty useless as a tactical flashlight IMHO.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 02-15-2020, 05:26 PM

Congratulations on a fine acquisition. Use it in good health.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:40 PM

Nice find, enjoy.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:42 PM

I have a black and grey Hackathorn Special, wasn't sure I would like it, but after getting it, I love it. Great shooting gun and great looking gun
Old 02-15-2020, 07:14 PM

Pretty cool. Im happy for you.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post

As far as lights, I won't go into brands since you're perfectly capable of figuring that out. But, I will tell you that for inside a house, unless the walls are dark, 1350 lumens is way too much and will give you as much trouble recovering your low-light vision as it does the BG. For indoors, I would not go too much beyond 300 - 400 lumens, and if your walls in your house are white or off-white, I'd stay closer to 300 for the upper limit; anything below 130 is pretty useless as a tactical flashlight IMHO.
I do agree for indoor I would not need that, but that is also at max and they have a low level around the 300 lumens. So having the option for both depending on any other needs that may come up might be nice. Will be continuing my research as it appears there is now a TLR-9.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post

Not at all trying to be a smart ass but if you have a light why would you need low light vision? The light should try to make it as close to daylight as possible so you can very clearly see what is happening and have information to make decisions accurately, brighter lights are better for this?

I mean sure backwash is a thing if you trigger a super powerful rifle light right on a wall a foot away from the end of your gun when going around a corner but you aren't supposed to do that until after the muzzle is past the wall anyway. Plus even if you mess up once you are clear the light will project into the room/down the hall and you can see nearly perfectly vs if you timed it right and don't have an afterimage.

A trick to avoid self blinding with a handgun is to point the gun with light upward and bounce the light off the celling to look around, the light is already on so if you need the gun just present it from sull and you are good.

I'm curious as to why you are drawing the line at 300ish?
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 PM

Congrats on your new WC. Check out the Streamlight TLR-8G.
I like the small size and its plenty bright.
Attached Thumbnails
A4876DA6-F985-4D33-8E00-778CBF7095CE.jpeg  

Last edited by Plantar5; 02-15-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Not at all trying to be a smart ass but if you have a light why would you need low light vision? The light should try to make it as close to daylight as possible so you can very clearly see what is happening and have information to make decisions accurately, brighter lights are better for this?

I mean sure backwash is a thing if you trigger a super powerful rifle light right on a wall a foot away from the end of your gun when going around a corner but you aren't supposed to do that until after the muzzle is past the wall anyway. Plus even if you mess up once you are clear the light will project into the room/down the hall and you can see nearly perfectly vs if you timed it right and don't have an afterimage.

A trick to avoid self blinding with a handgun is to point the gun with light upward and bounce the light off the celling to look around, the light is already on so if you need the gun just present it from sull and you are good.

I'm curious as to why you are drawing the line at 300ish?
Unless you are SWAT or military clearing a building, the light is for identifying friend-or-foe, and left on for longer than that makes YOU a target. Same for a laser - it can make you a target in low-light (if left on longer than necessary to engage target), and once the target is identified as friend vs foe, it determines any further action or inaction. I can discuss this in length at the Bash if you need me to.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972

Last edited by Grandpas50AE; 02-16-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:37 PM

Very nice.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:44 PM

Range Report

The BF convinced me to go to the outdoor range today so that he could try out his AR10 that he previously built, but had not been able to shoot yet. Luckily for being a winter Michigan day it was not too bad outside. Almost 40 degrees, sunny and thankfully no wind.

I was able to put 250 rounds through the gun today using reloads- 5.5gr powder, 200gr bullets. I did have a couple of feeding issues, [2-5] very minimal and unable to tell what exactly caused it.

I havent been able to shoot much over the winter so I could tell I was out of practice. I cannot wait for better weather to come. I am also very used to my gold bead on my WC Professional and had to adapt to the fiber optic today. When shooting, point of impact was to the right of sight alignment. Some probably due to flinching, but my BF also found the same situation when he was shooting it. Looking at the test target from WC, this also seemed to be the case. I was still able to have some good shots and create decent groups.

This is a very nice gun as to be expected. Certainly pleased with this purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
8101F691-B560-4C23-8C84-57B0D08CA741.jpeg   1B309FE3-C657-4EE0-94E1-1A760AFCE915.jpeg   48DA0A93-B02C-43F9-99C4-9F8B5D7F453C.jpeg   2C6CD98E-23D5-4862-9590-BC3858A3F87C.jpeg  
Old 02-16-2020, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

It always shows when we haven't been able to practice for a while, and that seems to get worse with age.

It is quite possible that the shooting to the right is an anomaly of sight picture with the FO versus the GB you are used to shooting, but is always possible that the sights are just a hair bit to the right as well. You still shot pretty well, as that 4 o'clock area is sure a gaping hole! Nice to get some range time for sure, even if we don't shoot as well as we'd like to!

On the feed issues - I never had a problem with cast LSWC 200 gr. bullets of the H&G #68 clones, but was never able to get the plated counterparts to reliably feed in any of my 1911's regardless of manufacturer. I tried every seating depth imaginable, but the plated SWC's would have occasional hang-ups feeding, so I quite using them for anything but revolver, and went back to cast for all the 1911's.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Old 02-16-2020, 06:04 PM

On all my used Wilson's (4 of them so far) the sights had been adjusted by a former owner, I wouldn't worry too much about it not hitting dead on. I had all of mine adjusted to shoot true and your may need to be centered as well

Roger, I would really appreciate you explaining the principles to me at the bash. Thanks for the offer!
Old 02-16-2020, 10:51 PM

great choice IMHO. would love one.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:05 PM

I dig that color combo, nice score!

Most all weapon lights are bright enough to use for target identification, so Id worry less about the lumens and focus more on which one is the easiest for you to operate.

My Surefire requires a deliberate and forceful push, my Streamlights do not. But, I find the Viridian to be the most intuitive.