So I got my EDC X9 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 AM

So I got my EDC X9

and it's great, shoots very accurately and my one short range trip burned ammo way to fast. Couple things I did note that was pointed out here, by Striker IIRC.

- "natural" point of aim is a bit different than I expect from a quasi 1911, almost closer to a Sig Pseries I think, since the beavertail doesn't get me as high as I like. Easy enough to figure out with enough dry fire practice.

- it does seem to have more muzzle rise than I'm used to with my Glock 19 or DW Valkyrie, it's noticable but how much will have to wait till this spring when I can have nice weather and really work on the clock.

Other than that I really love it, fit and finish are wonderful though it did come with a tiny chip off the finish on the front of the slide, but I plan to carry this and it's in a spot that will certainly take holster wear so I don't care. Trigger is excellent, better than the one I tried in the shop last summer, weight/size are ideal for carry and it conceals very well in my PJHolster (I wish I had a Vedder for it, but the PJHolster seems well made and nice, I just don't like the fat plastic clip).

Overall, I love it but only have a few hundred rounds down range so I have a lot more shaking out to do before I really learn it fully.

Question I had for the braintrust here is I have one mag that, only sometimes, will only load 14 rounds, I can tell it's off as I get to about the 12 or 13 round spot and notice that the bottom 15 witness hole is black and not showing the follower as it should be. I've pulled it apart and don't see anything obviously abnormal with the follower or spring setup and dumping the ammo and reloading seems to fix the issue.

It's almost like the follower gets out of alignment or something.

Anyone have a similar issue? I'm gonna pull it and another mag apart again and really look at them closely later today, maybe the spring was upside down or something from the factory.

It functions fine, but it's definitely marked "range mag only" at this point.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:32 AM

Obligatory pic
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200212_175716_01_1581777123064.jpg  
Old 02-15-2020, 09:07 AM

Send a e-mail to Wilson, I'm sure they will have a idea, if not I bet they will swap out without any issue.

Congrats on your new Wilson, my X9 never seem to make it to the range like the other Wilson's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 09:27 AM

No problems here with the 15 rounders - they all load full - the problem, I have are with the 18 rounders - can only load 17 rounds even after a break-in period.Really don't consider it an issue.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:03 AM

Do you have an UpLula mag loader that you could try getting the last round in with. I’m pretty sure mine were all pretty tough to fill when they were new.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-15-2020, 10:24 AM

Never a problem with my 15 or 18 rounders. Wilson's customer service is awesome, give them a call to get you all fixed up.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:26 AM

Dave,

I have the UpLula and just tried a mag - 17 rounds - off to the races will try the others later tonight.

Jerry
Old 02-15-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Do you have an UpLula mag loader that you could try getting the last round in with. I’m pretty sure mine were all pretty tough to fill when they were new.
It certainly, in my case, was not an issue of stiff springs, something was up with the follower. I got 6 of the 15 round mags when I got the EDC and they all are very pleasant to load by hand (I have pretty strong thumbs so my pleasant doesn't always apply to others) except with this one and only on the last round.

I pulled it apart again and looked it over, everything seems normal compared to the others and a few sample loadings afterwards went just fine, so I'm going to just keep it in the range bag for now and keep an eye on it.

I did also clean out the tube while I had it apart, so perhaps there was some grit or something that was messing with the follower.

Should see soon as I plan to put a few thousand rounds through the EDC X9 in the next month or so, weather permitting, and getting all the mags vetted.

Which reminds me, I need to order some of the replaceable springs soon.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:31 PM

Six of the 18 rounder I have will only load 17 rounds - by hand of with a loader. Wonder if there was an issue with the earlier produced magazines. I know, I mentioned this before in a thread and the WC rep (Anthony) said they need a break in period to get the 18th round in. Mine are way pass break in. Maybe at the the Bash I'll give them to WC. Going to order 4 more before then and lets see.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:51 PM

Never had an issue with any of my mags, all load easily (less effort needed vs a Glock mag and on par with a VP9 mag but slightly harder than a CZ mag) right up to 15 rounds
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-15-2020, 02:17 PM

WC will send you a new mag, just call them...

Nice report, the X9 is a great looking gun...Looking forward to the first X9 vs X9s report by a lucky-gunner soon.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 02-17-2020, 07:47 AM

I used there contact sheet and asked about any magazine issues with the 18 round type. Will see what they say.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:41 AM

Been trying to recreate the issue to take a picture of the follower through the witness holes, and wouldn't ya know it, I can't make it malfunction again.

Put another couple hundred rounds down range again as well, runs like a sewing machine, slide has really smoothed out with use too, really digging this'n

Decided it's good to go in the CCW holster, carries and conceals nicely.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

That's good news. Enjoy that X9.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 02-17-2020, 01:00 PM

Early on my new mags were very hard to get 15. I mean Very hard. I was wondering if I had some binding issue. I left them loaded for a couple of weeks and now they load fine. Not easy, but reasonable. Love my EDC. 3200+ rounds and performs flawless.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:16 PM

Heard from CS at WC. I must say, if there is a dumbass award I would be nominated for it. Just turns out old hands just couldn't get enough downward pressure on #18. Not easy but I got all 6 mags loaded to the hilt.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Heard from CS at WC. I must say, if there is a dumbass award I would be nominated for it. Just turns out old hands just couldn't get enough downward pressure on #18. Not easy but I got all 6 mags loaded to the hilt.
Uplulaís were made with us old farts in mind. Donít always use for my single stacks but certainly do for double stack mags. I would have laughed at the idea of a mag loader 5 years ago.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-17-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Uplula’s were made with us old farts in mind. Don’t always use for my single stacks but certainly do for double stack mags. I would have laughed at the idea of a mag loader 5 years ago.
After using one I'm not going back to manual loading except for my .45 single stacks. Those are the perfect size for my thumb and don't cut it up
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-17-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Uplulaís were made with us old farts in mind. Donít always use for my single stacks but certainly do for double stack mags. I would have laughed at the idea of a mag loader 5 years ago.
Me, too.

My Dad bought one for me doing a range session say, "Boy...you gotta have one of these".

He was right on the money. Excellent assist tool that really speeds up the process and is super easy on the hands.

I've ordered the single-stack adaptor and need to try it next session.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24 View Post
Obligatory pic
Looks great !!!
Old 02-17-2020, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
This is especially true for the Beretta 30-round mags! First time I tried to load one of those for my AR9B I could not get more than 24 in it - that's when I got an Uplula; it got a lot better for that 2nd 30-rounder. After several range sessions it got a little easier to load 30 without it, but still a challenge. All my double-stack 9'mm mags get the Uplula treatment now, even after they are broken in.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)