Back To Plastic For EDC - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-10-2020, 12:09 PM

Back To Plastic For EDC

Decided the SA Hellcat would make a pretty fine EDC gun, so I took the plunge.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:13 PM

Hellcat. Sounds like a red headed ex!

Compact little beasty. Look forward to hearing how it shoots.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-10-2020, 02:37 PM

I have one "Plastic Fantastic"! Ruger SR-9 with night sights. Probably one of the most under rated hand guns of all time.

What separates it from some of the others is grip size and the thumb safety. I do occasionally EDC but mostly as a Defensive Firearms Training Class prop. Some women with smaller hands find it a little easier to operate. But all like the thumb safety. Some will carry their firearm in their purse. The thumb safety offers a layer of protection against little hands finding it in their purse and "Bang"!

Me, I use the thumb safety for re-holstering. Once holstered the safety comes "OFF"! I also train this to prevent "Glock leg"!

Smiles,

Last edited by jjfitch; 02-10-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 02:52 PM

I only have on plastic, a M&P 45C, but the Hellcat is very impressive. Watch the unbelievable torture test below.

https://www.thearmorylife.com/hellcat-kills-10k-rounds/
Old 02-10-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter1911 View Post
I only have on plastic, a M&P 45C, but the Hellcat is very impressive. Watch the unbelievable torture test below.

https://www.thearmorylife.com/hellcat-kills-10k-rounds/
Thanks for sharing that. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing the Hellcat is about a stout as a small 9mm CCW pistol needs to be.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post
Thanks for sharing that. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing the Hellcat is about a stout as a small 9mm CCW pistol needs to be.
You are welcome. I'm keeping a very close eye on the Hellcat as well as the 911-9mm. Please keeps us informed as to what you think as you shoot it more.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:56 PM

My plastic is a Glock 48. Thin and light, but shoots the euro pellet.

I like it even better now that I have two 15 round Shield Arms S15 magazines.

They up the capacity by five rounds but fit flush like the factory magazines.

I have to admit that it does shoot great also.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:03 PM

Nice.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:48 PM

Plastic covers all of my carry needs as well. I have very little use for it beyond that.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:34 PM

Sig P365 for me.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:45 PM
Administrator

I've got a pair of P365s, but I did have a chance to look at a Hellcat in a store once (it's the only one I've actually seen since they came out). The Hellcat is ever so slightly thicker than a P365. It's not enough to measure but you can tell when you hold either in your hand. Having said that, since it's so slight it has no effect on concealability and you do get that 11th round. If I didn't have a P365 I'd be hard-pressed to decide between the two, but if you've already got a SIG there is no reason to upgrade unless you simply like the Hellcat better.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:47 PM

A few days ago I picked up a G43. I gotta admit, I really like the way it feels with the finger extension on the mag. A G48 with the Shield Arms mags sound pretty nice. Like taking the chubby G19's trim sister out. Someone suggested a G48 to go with the G43. That way you can mix and match and come up with:

G43
G43L
G43X
G48

You just need to have mags for both the G43 and the G43X/G48 frames.

Damned Lego toys.

Once I install a few goodies I have coming and range test the G43 it will probably take the place of my SIG P938 as my most carried EDC for errands and such.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post

Decided the SA Hellcat would make a pretty fine EDC gun, so I took the plunge.
Thinking that might make a nice replacement for the Solo, twice the ammo and approximately the same size. And it might actually work. Need to see one up close.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:38 PM

i lean towards my P365 for EDC.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:38 PM

Guys, I hope your Springers turn out to be awesome guns, however the Sig P365 is still a Sig and it carries that name proudly. If you compare the two side b side the Sig is just a little more svelt: it is accurate, only hold one less round and has a nice trigger and night sights at a very good price% if I am goin to bet my like on a 9mm instead of ,y Colt Defender in 45 acp, I will take the nicely engineered 380 sized 10 shot 9mm +P pocket hammer.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:22 AM

Ive got the G43 and the G48. My most utilized configuration is the G43 slide on the G48 frame. I was on the shield arms alert me when back in stock list and by the time I reacted, sold out again. Not too worried as its winter and concealing my smith and Wesson Model 69 2.75" bbl is not very difficult. Hopefully I can snag some before summer hits.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr10mm View Post
Ive got the G43 and the G48. My most utilized configuration is the G43 slide on the G48 frame. I was on the shield arms alert me when back in stock list and by the time I reacted, sold out again. Not too worried as its winter and concealing my smith and Wesson Model 69 2.75" bbl is not very difficult. Hopefully I can snag some before summer hits.
Check Gunbroker, there were quite a few Shield S15 magazines on there the other day for around $45.00
Old 02-11-2020, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
Guys, I hope your Springers turn out to be awesome guns, however the Sig P365 is still a Sig and it carries that name proudly. If you compare the two side b side the Sig is just a little more svelt: it is accurate, only hold one less round and has a nice trigger and night sights at a very good price% if I am goin to bet my like on a 9mm instead of ,y Colt Defender in 45 acp, I will take the nicely engineered 380 sized 10 shot 9mm +P pocket hammer.
The Hellcat is a new design and hasn't had time to prove itself yet. Having said that, so far at least there haven't been any horror stories like there were with the first batch of P365s. Current P365s are running very well, but it was a rocky road getting there. Hopefully the Hellcat won't suffer the same sort of embarrassment.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:10 PM

My favorite handguns are not formed with polymer, but I have to admit a plastic gun is tough to beat for everyday self protection.

I've been carrying GLOCK and HK handguns here these last few weeks. They work, and work admirably.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:02 PM

Something to keep in mind if you carry short 9MMs.

Just remember to very carefully pick the right carry ammo for any 9MM pocket gun. I am right now getting into Super .38/9x23 and back into 9MM (used to have Hi-Powers and Walthers) and after examining the ammo charts of today velocity (and effectiveness) is all over the map with available factory loads in any of the .36 calibers.

Super Vel 115 gr. +P gets to 1200 fps in a 3" Hellcat - I would not want to carry anything less. Many standard 9MM off the shelf 9MM loads actually only get to 1000 fps out of a 3" barrel, and that's the same minimal effectiveness as a .38 Special, guys.

Everything in life is a tradeoff, we all pay our money and take our chances. I will cheerfully let you guys go test the ultra light 3" 9MM concept for me - but for now I'll keep my 3" Defender (.45) as my "light" EDC gun - and just carry an extra magazine. CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer

Last edited by Col. Colt; 02-12-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:17 AM

I did a modernization thing years ago. I love snubbies. I also loved my PPK... but I knew I could do better for edc.

I got the Ruger LCP. What an amazing little pistol. Then I got a shield, what an amazing little pistol.... then I got the Sig 365. Holy cow that thing is a miracle....

But then... dare I switch to a Glock 19 instead of my sacred Browning Hi powers... yup. And you know what... Iím glad I did it. My Brownings donít get scratches now :-).

But then I got a Sig p238 for a pocket pistol. PPK who? That thing is awesome. I even like it more than pocket snubbies... and I love pocket snubbies...

Finally, I am a GI 1911 purist. Even my Wilson is older, simple and just the way I like it. I got the Kimber ultra carry II and love it.

Pistols are smaller, lighter and engineered to work. The new polymers are every bit as good as metal... except metal frames can be flawed.

Iíve joined the revolution. I love my all metal pistols. I love hi powers and 1911s and Walthers and Lugers. But they are collectibles and range day guns now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2020, 05:22 AM

The only plastic fantastic that I own is a Kahr PM9, great little pocket gun. I wish it was all stainless.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:16 AM

I own a P365 and it is a great gun. If I run out sometimes in my sweats or shorts I can clip it to my pants with a Don Hume leather holster and it stays there. I tested it initially with 1000 rounds and it performed perfectly. Other than making me buy an Upula loader since I broke 2 cheap ones loading the mags to capacity there were no issues. Accurate and surprisingly easy to shoot. It easily replaced my PM9 as an occasional carry gun. All that said I am more comfortable with my EDC rotation of 4 H&Ks.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
A few days ago I picked up a G43. I gotta admit, I really like the way it feels with the finger extension on the mag. A G48 with the Shield Arms mags sound pretty nice. Like taking the chubby G19's trim sister out. Someone suggested a G48 to go with the G43. That way you can mix and match and come up with:

G43
G43L
G43X
G48

You just need to have mags for both the G43 and the G43X/G48 frames.

Damned Lego toys.

Once I install a few goodies I have coming and range test the G43 it will probably take the place of my SIG P938 as my most carried EDC for errands and such.
Why are you giving up on your 938?
Agent Orange---the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger566 View Post
Why are you giving up on your 938?
Not giving it up so much. Iím sitting at a restaurant and carrying it now in fact. Just going to give it a break and enjoy it for the neat little gun it is.

The 43 with mag extension feels pretty good in hand, comes out and on line nicely. Simpler in operation and more in keeping with my SIG P220 and M9. Pull, point, press. And... I am really kinda liking the little 43. Iíve been customizing the G43 a little for that just right, but still solid carry gun. Aw hell. I just like the damned thing.

But, the P938 is still loved.