1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-17-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Well, back to the Kahr .380... I actually decided to take it to the range today just to see if it would behave. I haven't shot it in nearly a year. 20 rounds into it the magazine suddenly popped out on its own and I had a FTF as a result. My thumb was above the slide stop so I know I didn't cause it. Of all the countless types of malfunctions I've had over the years with that thing, that was a first. I think it's time to finally throw in the towel and part the thing out because it's obviously jinxed.
Ah, that would be a Type 7 problem on my list of P380 issues.

This thread also prompted me to dust mine off and take it back to the range this weekend. I found a box of 50 Gold Dots in my stash and shot them all without issue. Nonetheless, I'm still very uneasy about depending on the gun after all of the trouble I've had with it, and I just don't think I'll ever be able to fully trust it. Even if I were able to put 500+ rounds through it with no issues, I'm always going to have the nagging feeling that one of its problems is just around the corner again.

They're not too popular, and I know that they have some specific features that many people don't like, but for me at least, the second-generation Beretta Pico is the best thing going in the tiny plastic pocket .380 world. Excellent build quality and overall fit and finish, easy to shoot accurately at 15 yards, and perfectly reliable. I have 850 rounds of various types of FMJ and JHP ammo through mine without any bobbles. I like the weight of the P380 trigger better, but the Pico has my trust.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC12 View Post
It was a love hate relationship. The damn thing was impressive, powerful and accurate, but it couldn’t go through a mag (7 shots) without jamming. I tried every commercial load available in every brand and weight. Then I reloaded and tried 12 different formulas. Nope. Finally the slide broke where the piston pushes it. There goes another $ 320 for a new slide.
Whoa. How many rounds do you think you had through it before the slide cracked?

I'd like to get a Desert Eagle in .50 AE just for fun at some point, but it's a long ways from the top of the wish list I'm working through.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_TX View Post
Whoa. How many rounds do you think you had through it before the slide cracked?

I'd like to get a Desert Eagle in .50 AE just for fun at some point, but it's a long ways from the top of the wish list I'm working through.

Around 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2020, 09:52 PM

I bought a brand new Colt Delta Elite 10mm (and so did a friend from the same dealer) when they were first released back in the early 90's. We took both of them to his house to clean, with plans to go to the range that day. Both of them out of the box had defective thumb safeties. The thumb safeties were jammed tight and would not move. I pushed so hard that I broke the plunger tube right off of the side of that Delta Elite. We both took our brand new pistols back for refunds.

Another one that I wanted to like, but hated, was the Glock 17. I bought a brand new Gen IV Glock 17 and (besides hating that mushy trigger and terrible grip angle) I would experience a light firing pin strike on one round out of every box of 50 rds. Right in the middle of our quarterly firearms qualifications (during rapid fire timed string of fire) one of the rounds would get a light primer strike that was too light to ignite the primer and require me to manually eject that cartridge before I could continue firing, sometimes missing a shot because of the extra second to conduct the tap, rap, bang drill to resume firing during this timed stage of fire. If this was only a one tiem event I would think it was bad ammo, but, this was every box of 50rds and it was brand new issued Federal Classic +P+ ammo.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:36 AM

Colt Stainless Combat Commander.. Had I not bought other 1911's that pistol would have been the last 1911 I ever owned. Never shot well for me and never felt right in my hand. I have become a true fan of 1911's made in the Philippines. Metro Arms, Rock Island in .45 ACP and 10mm. All shoot well for me and feel right in my hand. I feel the same way about the only Colt AR I ever owned. Over priced in my opinion. I assemble better AR's myself. They all shoot well and are 100% reliable otherwise I would not keep them.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:02 PM

Out of the many guns I have, I have few disappointments. First, my H&K VP9. Granted it's 100% reliable and very accurate, but I HATE the ambi slide stop. I'm a lefty so you'd think I liked it but I don't. That gun was my EDC for about a year when I developed a bad habit of riding the slide stop without realizing it and the slide wouldn't lock back on an empty mag. That's my fault instead of the gun so I shouldn't say the gun is a disappointment. The other is my Winchester 1892 .45 Colt. It's one of the repro guns from Miroku, 20" barrel, Grade 1 engraving, and a very beautiful rifle. However it has that abomination tang safety and horrible rebounding hammer which I just can't get used to. More importantly it shoots extremely low, and I have the sights adjusted as far as they will move. The front sight blade is way too tall and I don't know enough about those sights to be able to find a shorter replacement. I never shoot that rifle because of those issues. I've entertained the idea of selling it recently but I really don't want to.

ETA- I forgot abut my Glock 21SF I bought new a little over year ago. I absolutely love shooting this thing. It's accurate but it's only 100% reliable with ball ammo only. It hangs up on hollow points of any kind on the 11th round in every magazine. Every 11th round of hollow point ammo is jammed into the left side of the opening to the chamber. I'm going to try polishing it and see if that helps. I'm very disappointed in this gun because I was going to carry it occasionally. I've got over 25 years of experience in shooting Glocks and have never had a reliability problem with one, even my G17 that has weak and sometimes erratic ejection.

Last edited by SP Tiger; 02-20-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:04 PM
Adminstrator

SP Tiger, see Doug Turnbull about that rifle. You won't regret it.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW McVay View Post
SP Tiger, see Doug Turnbull about that rifle. You won't regret it.
Thanks! I'll look him up.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:29 PM

I have one, a Lorcin .380 I bought at a yard sale. It doesn't always eject like it should.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Beers View Post
I have one, a Lorcin .380 I bought at a yard sale. It doesn't always eject like it should.

You had high expectations with a Lorcin ?
Old 02-22-2020, 08:48 AM

Ruger 10/22 takedown. Hated it.

S&W bodyguard .380. Hated it.