Guns you own(ed) that were a disappointment... - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-12-2020, 11:24 PM

Sorry to hear that. I have the S&W 1911 SC "E" Series and it's a tack driver!
Old 02-12-2020, 11:30 PM

I had a Springfield XDS 45 Mod2 3.3" and sold it. I shipped it back to Springfield to have them check the trigger. They said it was fine but they replaced the trigger group anyway. It came back from Springfield with the new trigger that acted just like the trigger I wanted them to check! The trigger had a lot of creep. It was mushy. There was no solid wall and shot groups were horrible! I own many handguns and this was the first one I sold!
Old 02-13-2020, 01:46 AM

Para Carry C6.45 LDA

I saw this gun and fell in love. I like short barreled .45's, especially when they work ! The Parra Carry was one good looking gun with great reviews, so I bought one on gunbroker. For only having a 3" barrel, i was surprised it shot as well or better than my other full size .45's, I was pretty thrilled.

Then the problems started.... Once I racked the slide and rather than chamber a round, it blew the baseplate out of the magazine and dumped the ammo, spring, follower, etc all over the range floor.

another time the series 80 style firing pin block got jammed up in the hole which was poorlu machined oversize, and locked the firing pin forward, so the firing pin retainer could take off and then the slide was locked back and gun useless.

Then parra went out of business and parts were to become unavailable, plus their LDA trigger was such a mystery you had to take a armorers course with them to service it.

I ended up selling it because I couldnt trust carrying it, and I probably couldnt get it fixed when it broke. Still, it was a favorite while it lasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 03:27 AM

I bought a NDM 86 back in the late 80's - Chinese SVD supposedly build on a Tula receiver. Gun only shot like 4 inch MOA with Yugo factory ammo - even worse with regular ball ammo. Worse it pierced primers and I ruined the firing pin and bolt - really was stupid back then, not much better now.

Never could get my hands on any of that Soviet sniper ammo - 7N1 or 7N14.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:51 AM

About 25 years ago I bought a Rossi .22 revolver, forget the model #. Tried it out and it shaved lead and keyholed the target, brought it back the dealer gave me another one to try, same thing happened. Brought it back, have never bought anything made by Rossi since.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:30 AM

Colt Detective Special Gen 2. I like snubs and always wanted one. Trigger was horrible and I traded it off for more than I paid for it.

Mossberg 940 12 ga auto. Feed ok with premium buckshot and slugs, but ripped through the extractor rims in everything else from Federal/Winchester bulk pack to Winchester AAs. Took it to a course at a fairly large school and it started choking and puking. Talked to their gunsmith and he said “if you have one that runs, great. If not, get rid of it because you won’t make it run.” Well don’t know if that’s true, but sold it off and got a Beretta 1301 and never looked back!!

SIG Mosquito. Enough said.

S&W Model 22. Wouldn’t shoot point of aim (fixed sight revolver) like 6” low at 15 yards and off right or left - can’t remember. Back to S&W, sent me a new revolver. But I did get it back quickly!! Same issue. Say in the safe for a while and finally sold it and took a beating.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:16 AM

I had something called a Savage Striker in .308, it was so inaccurate that one time I dropped it and it missed the ground completely. 5 different shooters couldn't put a round on a 12''x 12'' target at 100 yards
Old 02-13-2020, 06:21 AM

One of my first hand guns was a S&W Sigma 9mm. I didn't realize it wasn't any good till I read about how horrible it was, the trigger in particular, on the internet.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:26 AM

Not a gun, but a DPMS Oracle upper. Not sure what was wrong with it, but the groups were absolute trash at 100yds. It has a 16in barrel which should not have been a problem at all, especially since my Stag is perfect at that range with the same length. Now it's just dedicated to shooting steel cased ammo.

Before anyone says anything about the brand, this was purchased as a complete rifle at the height of the Clinton scare without any prior research (stupid me).
Old 02-13-2020, 07:08 AM

Everything made by AMT that Iíve ever owned. Zero quality control and totally unreliable. Lugers. Iíve never had one that could make it through a full magazine without jamming. How did the Germans use these in trench warfare?
Old 02-13-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt3 View Post
Everything made by AMT that I’ve ever owned. Zero quality control and totally unreliable. Lugers. I’ve never had one that could make it through a full magazine without jamming. How did the Germans use these in trench warfare?
Well they did lose both wars 🙂
Old 02-13-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW McVay View Post
That was a German SIG, yes?
Yes it was.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 AM

Colt Gold cup NM bought new in the 90's. NO extractor tension, ejector came loose in first 50rds of target loads. Front & rear sights came loose. Colt replaced the gun, and on first outing, rear sight pin drifted out, & front sight flew off.

Bought 2 new Colt SAA to upgrade from my Cimarron arms SA. Triggers were terrible. Had to have triggers done, forcing cones cut and one barrel turned in frame as it shot about 6-8" from POA at 25Yds. After all that my Cimarron still out shot them.

S&W model 41. Gun shot OK, but had to be cleaned approx. every 100-150 rounds or would jam.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:50 AM

Auto Ordnance M-1 Carbine. I bought one new when they 1st came out and it spent most of the warranty period at AO trying to fix FTF issues.

Not mags either, I had a healthy stash of USGI mags that ran fine on my USGI Inland, Blue Sky marked Rockola and a Plainfield I owned at the time
Old 02-15-2020, 01:47 PM

I can't believe I am the first to say this but the Kimber Solo. They quit making them for obvious reasons.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt3 View Post
Lugers. I’ve never had one that could make it through a full magazine without jamming.
Vitally important to maintain the ammunition dimensions around which the Luger was designed in order to achieve reliability.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_TX View Post
Ha! I like your use of the verb form there.

I'm impressed by the tenacity you showed with yours. Obviously a Sisyphean undertaking in retrospect, but I bet you learned some things that I didn't with all of the work you put into it on your own. I just didn't have any patience with it. I'd come home from the range pissed off and would hop on the phone with Ian at Kahr customer service right away to get the cursed thing back to the factory. That said, I guess I did keep taking it to the range to discover its new problems well beyond the point that a lot of people would have given up on it.

It's all really a shame, because it's such a great little gun in theory.
Well, back to the Kahr .380... I actually decided to take it to the range today just to see if it would behave. I haven't shot it in nearly a year. 20 rounds into it the magazine suddenly popped out on its own and I had a FTF as a result. My thumb was above the slide stop so I know I didn't cause it. Of all the countless types of malfunctions I've had over the years with that thing, that was a first. I think it's time to finally throw in the towel and part the thing out because it's obviously jinxed.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:17 PM

Ruger LCP II. Failure to eject, deformed spent casings, then frame pins backing out. 3 trips back to the mother ship and then more problems. Asked Ruger for a refund and received.

Last edited by woodlands747; 02-16-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffdropover45 View Post
I can't believe I am the first to say this but the Kimber Solo. They quit making them for obvious reasons.
Beat ya to it on page two.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:02 AM

I only have one big disappointment in 80 guns, an early production IMI Desert Eagle .44 Mag, identical to this one. Bought it brand spanking new in February 1989 for 1820 Swiss francs (about $ 1150 then). It was my second gun, the first being a S&W 422, talk about a leap in power.

The head of local bureau of arms walked in the LGS and asked for a Beretta 93 R for training purposes. The owner said itís unobtanium, but look at that, the Desert Eagle. The police officer walked out with it. Didnít know anything about it, but it looked amazing and powerful, I wanted one (I was 20 then).

It was a love hate relationship. The damn thing was impressive, powerful and accurate, but it couldnít go through a mag (7 shots) without jamming. I tried every commercial load available in every brand and weight. Then I reloaded and tried 12 different formulas. Nope. Finally the slide broke where the piston pushes it. There goes another $ 320 for a new slide.

I traded it to my car mechanic against 4 winter wheels for my Audi, tyres included. And I warned him what a piece of junk it was, he didnít care, wonít shoot it, just fondle it. To each his own, and I was elated to see it go.

It convinced me that a revolver cartridge has no place in a semi auto

Bought a LAR Grizzly in .45 Win Mag shortly after, much more reliable.

Old 02-17-2020, 06:13 AM

My only disappointment was a Century G3 I bought back in 2000 or 2001. I had to smith it a bit to get it to run, and, not knowing what I know now about HK weapons, the receiver on the Century was stainless steel.

The HK scope mount would not lock to the receiver because it was out of spec. The ejector needed to be welded and then re-machined to a height that would allow it to function because the shelf in the lower was welded in the wrong position.

It would shoot about minute of man at 50 yards.

Overall, it was a learning experience and the rifle was a POS built by Century monkeys.

I later bought a real HK and then a PTR. Satisfied beyond belief with both of those rifles.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Jiminez JA 22........ $100 paperweight.
Did a fluff and buff, polished the feed ramp.
Horrible trigger.
Keep your $100 and take your significant other to dinner and a movie.
Just my .02
Old 02-17-2020, 11:11 AM

Had three Beretta pistols, 32acp, 380, & 9mm. All broke shortly after warranty expired; Beretta told me I would have to pay for repairs...….

Marlin Model 60SB 22lr, plastic buffer would crumble at about 100 rounds, Replaced the buffer five times....emailed Marlin Customer Support about it; their reply was a link to midwayusa so I could buy another.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:04 PM

I suppose I should add my oldish Browning Buckmark to the list? After only about a lousy 15,000 rounds the $3 plastic recoil buffer was starting to look a little tired, so I chose to replace it. Doggone cheap Utah handguns...….. lol

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-17-2020, 07:42 PM

About 25 years ago I had a Para Ordnance P-14 / 45 that was utterly unreliable. Stovepipes, FTF, the works. I did what I could, but finally traded it in - and up - for a Walther P88C.

- Charles Bukowski