Guns you own(ed) that were a disappointment... - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-10-2020, 03:52 PM

Bought a Lionheart LH9C (Daewoo DP51C) a few years ago on their black Friday sale. Nice little beast but you couldn't hit the pacific ocean with it. Utterly reliable, great feel in your hand, but would not group. Can't say as I tried very hard to find ammo it likes, but the feedback I was getting with the junk ammo I was using was that it was an exercise in futility. I always wanted a blue gun, I guess I've got one. But that's about it.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:01 PM

Taurus 82 lightweight .38 spl snubby: I owned this for a while and got rid of it. It had such bad "muzzle flip", so matter what you tried! Also the groups were terrible for a .38 snubby. I mean terrible!! Honest, I mean, I swear on my daddy's grave.... You could take the most expert marksman and hand him a Taurus 82 snubby, and he too would be all over the target with it.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:35 PM

On both a percentage and a severity basis, I think I've been pretty lucky when it comes to problems with my guns. Then again, a hefty percentage of them are NIB/LNIB collectibles. I still have dozens of guns that I shoot from time to time, but I don't run them like Striker, so maybe some problems have yet to be discovered.

Anyway, I've still only had one true piece of junk right out of the box.

(1) Kahr P380

And this is that one piece of junk. Except for a little sweet spot between 150 and 275 rounds where everything worked well, my P380 has been a nightmare for >90% of its miserable existence. Four trips back to the factory for warranty service and it's still not reliable. The Kahr gunsmiths are either clueless or profoundly disinterested in their work, because the gun usually comes back with at least one of the problems it went in with -- plus an exciting new problem!

Out of the box it had very poor accuracy due, at least in part, to what was an obviously poorly cut barrel crown. The obscenely large burr on the on the left face of the barrel hood probably contributed to inconsistent lockup as well. The gun has been very accurate since the original barrel was replaced. That's about the extent of my positive comments for it. Oh, and the trigger is very smooth, and it's quite comfortable to shoot.

Virtually every part in the gun but the stripped-down slide has been replaced at least once. The first frame cracked, and the second had to be replaced because it was "out of spec." As for all of the problems the gun has had, it would be easier to name the ones it hasn't. At various times, the gun has suffered (1) failures to feed (FMJ and JHP), (2) failures to return to battery, (3) failures to eject, (4) the aforementioned accuracy problem, (5) light primer strikes, (6) a broken mag release, (7) dropped mags with each shot (after the broken mag release was replaced), (8) the slide locking back prematurely, (9) slide not locking back on empty mags, and (10) the aforementioned cracked frame. I've probably left something out. Oh yeah, (11) because of the poorly-milled rear dovetail, my rear sight sits a bit sideways. When the feeding and ejection problems get (temporarily) solved, then the light strikes and slide lock failures spring up; when those get fixed, the mag will start dropping with every shot. It's always something like this. It's like a game of whack-a-mole with this little piece of Kahrap.

(2) HK USP Elite (.45 ACP)

I actually really like this gun. My first three shots with the Elite at 15 yards were very nearly through the same hole. It has a nice trigger (especially for an HK), and it's effortless to shoot it with great accuracy. But, unlike any other polymer HKs I've shot, this one has had significant reliability issues in the few hundred rounds I've fired it, with various brands of FMJ and JHP rounds failing to feed up to 10% of the time in all magazines and jamming hard against the base of the feed ramp each time. Reliability has improved as the recoil and magazine springs have gotten some work, but I still had one FTF in 50 rounds during its last outing. I'll finally get around to sending it in for warranty service if it happens again.

(3) Glock 17 (early Gen 4)

Four failures to eject, all early on, all with the first-version RSA, and all with weak garbage FMJ ammo. No problems after the first couple of hundred rounds even with the original RSA. What's really disappointing about this gun is just that it's deadly boring to shoot. Just undistinguished in every way -- which is why it hasn't seen the light of day for the better part of a decade.

(4) Colt Series 80 GCNM

I got this then-new early-1990s stainless GCNM as a gift from my dad before either of us knew much about 1911s (or guns in general). I kind of hate the gun, because it singlehandedly delayed my entry into 1911 fandom for a number of years. The fitting and overall workmanship range from bad to mediocre, the trigger is both gritty and mushy, and the accuracy is nothing to write home about. Vintage early-1990s Colt work. It's just not rewarding to shoot. At the same time, I have a sentimental attachment to it, so I'm not going to sell it or modify it.

(5) Colt Python (stainless)

Another early-1990s Colt gem that I got for a song several years before the Python boom of the last decade-plus. Overall fitting is just deplorable, especially compared to my 1950s and early 1960s Pythons. The factory-issue canted barrel is deplorable compared to anything decent. However, I got this Python in like-new condition (but no box) for a price so low that I probably committed a crime somehow in buying it, so I can't really complain. I'd probably hate it less if I sent it to C&S to have the barrel cant corrected.

Last edited by Austin_TX; 02-11-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter1911 View Post
As a long time Colt fan I always wanted an Officers model, but the reliability was always an issue with some of these guns, but when I had the opportunity to buy a Defender, from a previous small town Police Chief, I jumped on the chance. I realize many Defender owners have had great luck with this gun, but unfortunately I could never get it to run reliably. Two trips back to Colt and one to a local 1911 smith never got it to be reliable. To my great disappointment I had to let it go. I really wanted that one to work out.
Did your Defender happen to be in .40S&W? Several years ago a shooting buddy and I each bought a Defender- I got it in 45acp, him in .40. Mine was a jewel to own and shoot. His had constant feeding issues. A trip back to the factory didn't help. He sold it. We subsequently heard a lot of .40 Defender horror stories.

NRA Life Member
Old 02-10-2020, 06:06 PM

CZ:

75 Omega: safety lever has basically no detent. Set up for decocking, and the decocker points in the wrong direction. Even with narrow grips, the reach in DA mode is awkward for me. General fit, finish, and trigger action remind me that they were designed and made in the former Soviet bloc. I keep it because people like the way it shoots at the range.

75 Compact PCR w/ full CGW package and night sights: I figured CZs need help, so I'd start out with some Cajun spice. But, sights aren't aligned right (that I can fix), and has nasty trigger slap to boot. I really want to like the gun, but I'll probably sell it along rather than mess with it.

Scorpion EVO Carbine: another CZ that's 80% there and needed a new strong side safety button to get it out of the way of my trigger finger. The trigger is mushy. It looks cooler than the Beretta CX4, but performs poorer in every way.

Sig:

P320: I just didn't like the grip setup. I learned to tape up the middle finger of my trigger hand for any class because the side always got chewed into a bloody mess, even after sanding the trigger guard. I had two and sold the last one this weekend.

P225 A1: My first Sig was a P239 that, after 10+ years of regular use, developed a worsening case of Sig rattle between the frame and slide. A few years after selling it on, I bought a new P225 and the rattle was already built in! This started my search for 1911s. I still have the gun, as no one really wants them.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr380acp View Post
Amt 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thig View Post
AMT Backup 380.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Face View Post
...AMT .380 Backup. Would gall even no matter how it was lubed, and accordingly it simply would not run reliably even with FMJ ammo.
Interesting, seeing a fairly uncommon pistol mentioned three times in three pages. Here's a fourth mention!

In the late 70's, the AMT .380 Backup appeared to be a pretty innovative design. Looked nice, and was smaller than just about any other pistol on the market except a few .22 and .25 mouseguns. I bought one, thinking it was probably the most "bang for the size" available on a somewhat limited budget.

What a POS! I don't recall for sure if it ever made it through a mag without a FTF or FTE, but I don't think so. Had a 'smith go through it & do a little "fluff & buff" to no avail.

One of my all-time least favorite guns!

My other two least-favorites, also from the 70's, were a Llama IIIA .380 (my very first pistol), and a Sterling Model 302 in .22LR. They were both jam-o-matics.

Colt Combat Commander, Special Combat Government, Dan Wesson Valor, Valkyrie & ECO, Les Baer Premier II, Sig C3
Old 02-10-2020, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_TX View Post
Anyway, I've still only had one true piece of junk right out of the box.

(1) Kahr P380

And this is that one piece of junk. Except for a little sweet spot between 150 and 275 rounds where everything worked well, my P380 has been a nightmare for >90% of its miserable existence. Four trips back to the factory for warranty service and it's still not reliable. The Kahr gunsmiths are either clueless or profoundly disinterested in their work, because the gun usually comes back with at least one of the problems it went in with -- plus an exciting new problem!

Out of the box it had very poor accuracy due, at least in part, to what was an obviously poorly cut barrel crown. The obscenely large burr on the on the left face of the barrel hood probably contributed to inconsistent lockup as well. The gun has been very accurate since the original barrel was replaced. That's about the extent of my positive comments for it. Oh, and the trigger is very smooth, and it's quite comfortable to shoot.

Virtually every part in the gun but the stripped-down slide has been replaced at least once. The first frame cracked, and the second had to be replaced because it was "out of spec." As for all of the problems the gun has had, it would be easier to name the ones it hasn't. At various times, the gun has suffered (1) failures to feed (FMJ and JHP), (2) failures to return to battery, (3) failures to eject, (4) the aforementioned accuracy problem, (5) light primer strikes, (6) a broken mag release, (7) dropped mags with each shot (after the broken mag release was replaced), (8) the slide locking back prematurely, (9) slide not locking back on empty mags, and (10) the aforementioned cracked frame. I've probably left something out. Oh yeah, (11) because of the poorly-milled rear dovetail, my rear sight sits a bit sideways. When the feeding and ejection problems get (temporarily) solved, then the light strikes and slide lock failures spring up; when those get fixed, the mag will start dropping with every shot. It's always something like this. It's like a game of whack-a-mole with this little piece of Kahrap.
LOL, I thought I was the only one that used the word "Kahrap". Mine started off with feeding issues. Got that resolved. Then it started having RTB failures. Got that one figured out. Then it began having occasional light primer strikes. Spent three years figuring that one out, and only after it got worse and became so bad I could finally see what was happening. Finally thought I had all the gremlins exorcised from it, ran it for awhile, then suddenly one day it locked up tight and needed a mallet to pop the slide loose. I never found out why. Since I never know when it might Kahrap out on me again I stopped shooting it except for the occasional range visit when I want to try something different. But I didn't spend $600 on it just to make it a range gun so I'm undecided what to do with it at this pint.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Face View Post
Was that even with 124 grain ammo? I know the Nano has a reputation of not running well with 115 grain loads and was intended for only 124 gr and heavier, but they didn't seem to think that was important enough to put in the manual or in the catalog specs.
I'm done with striker fired pistols. The only one I still own is my G26 as it's been totally reliable for about 15 years now. As for the Nano, I don't want a pistol that only works with certain ammo.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:15 PM

For me it was a Magnum Research 1911G. I have one in .45ACP that has been absolutely flawless from day one. Outstanding function, accuracy, trigger pull, etc. So when MR started producing the 1911G in 9mm I ordered one. It was well finished, nice trigger pull and function but accuracy was dismal. I tried over 500 rounds of different bullet and powder combinations and even (gasp!) bought factory ammo. I sent it back and their "gunsmith" ground on the barrel legs for some reason and sent it back with a test target with a tiny cluster of holes at a claimed 30 yards and supposedly with American Eagle 115 gr. With high hopes, I went to the range and had exactly the same lousy accuracy.
My second attempt at MR customer service didn't go well. There was nothing wrong with the barrel fit to start with and the reason for the accuracy issue (I suspect) is a barrel that even though glass smooth slugged out at .356"+. Accuracy improved somewhat with 125 gr. .358" bullets but feeding became an issue due to case bulge.
I thought about having local smith fit an aftermarket barrel but by then the new gun buzz had long since worn off and it's gone.
Since then I've picked up a Springfield RO that re-ignited my 9mm flame and it shoots very well. Also got a little Ruger 9mm 1911 Officer that will shoot better at 25 yards than the 5" MR would do at 10.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:31 PM

For me, I would have to a Cobray M12. I wanted it to be a fun gun to shoot. But it was only a jammatic. It looked cool.

I can't think of any others. The firearms that I have purchased over the years have worked pretty well. From the low priced ones all the way up to the more expensive models. I have been pretty lucky with them.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:35 AM

Ruger MK III, no matter what 22 LR it was fed it always had failures to eject, and reassembly after cleaning...OMG. Finally got a good MK II back.
The Glock 43 was another misadventure, while completely reliable to go bang every time, the accuracy sucked no matter how I held it. It went by the way side for a P365. I still have a 19 and 23 but never shoot them anymore. Like most, I hate the snap of the Glock trigger on my finger.
I quit buying poly guns, I'll take the 1911 steel any day.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
SIG P226 X5 Level1 9mm

Most accurate handgun I have ever owned, and also the most unreliable. There was a well known issue with the placement of the extractor in 9mms..
Same here. X5 Competition back when they were new & scarce in the US. It wouldn't consistently extract & when it did it often failed to feed. Gun & mags went back to SIG 3 times and each time it came back with alleged tuning or part replaced and a note saying "test fired 20 rounds of Lawman 115g, or whatever, without issues". Most annoying is everytime I called SIG the CS guy first blames the ammo, then my limp wrist, then I an not seating the mags fully...On the 4th trip SIG replaced the gun with one that ran well.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:12 AM

Para 14-45 with the LDA trigger.

It was 15+ years ago.

Ordered it new at my gunshop. Nobody had ‘em stock.

Gun was a pile of hell.

Feeding, extracting, ejecting, magazine lock....once most of its oddities were improved I still didn’t like the trigger and couldn’t for the life of me understand why I thought it’d be a good idea. The standard 1911 trigger is perfect as is.

Luckily it was one of those guns in all the magazine adds and I had no problem selling it.

Similar experiences with a really sharp looking Kimber two-toned beauty. It just wouldn’t play nice regardless. No problems selling it.

I’ve become much less impulsive with both gun and car buying decisions. I tend to wait and get good owner feedback from others before I’ll pull the trigger on something new.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:12 AM

I read through the thread and find that others have had bad luck with forearms that I have had nothing but good service from and are some of my favorites. It is crazy.

Then there are some models listed that every owner has issues with.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:34 AM

70’s colt government in nickel. Loose sights. No QC.
70’s colt python, cylinder out of time.
Remington 1100 shotgun, 59th anniversary sale. Four shot guns later I got one that works.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 02-11-2020, 06:04 AM

I bought a Colt Talo New Agent years back, in 9mm, it was basically a defender with Big Dot sights. I never could get it to run, sent it back, came back with the same problems. I ended up selling it off. Fortunately it is about the only gun I’ve ever owned that really disappointed me. I took a chance and bought a new 9mm Defender a few years back and it’s night and day difference.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:41 AM

In my quest for my IDEAL HOME CARBINE, I was disappointed with a few - but my worst disappointment was the HI POINT CARBINE. It was reliable & fairly accurate. I just hated its design, materials, & general feeling of crap in my hands. Happy Ending = traded it to a pawnshop for a FEG HP.

Other Disappointments - were my attempts to find a reliable P-08 Luger. all pretty - but I could not make any reliable - even a beautiful, stainless, Texas USA made clone.
I have given up wasting time & money trying. No fun.

I tried to own a SUB COMPACT 1911 .45 LLAMA MINI MAX (the pistol that sunk Llama)
They replaced 2 of them they couldn't make run - then sent me a nickel plated one - that didn't work either. None did - out of the box - or ever.

Over the years I have gotten rid of other firearms that proved impractical or not compatible with me, but none as bitterly disappointing as the above.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:59 PM
Administrator

A person on the "positive" experience thread just mentioned the Bersa .380 being a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately mine was a disappointment, as while the pistol itself was great the recoil impulse hurt the palm of my hand badly. I literally couldn't fire more than a few mags through it before I was in pain. It was just one of those cases where the gun was a poor fit to the shooter, which occasionally happens. It was a real bummer because I really liked it prior to actually running ammo though it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:16 PM

Sig P220 that would not feed holllowpoints reliably no matter what brand i tried and a beautiful Browning Buckmark Field 5.5 that would not feed .22 ammo reliably, even CCI minimags which are my go to. Really wanted to like them both but they did not instill confidence so away they went.
DW PMDP #205
CZ Custom SDP
Ruger SP101 Deluxe
Glock 43
Old 02-11-2020, 09:47 PM

Purchased a Remington model 700 police in 308 that wouldn’t extract and eject properly. They took care of by replacing with a new bolt. I sold it. Had a Remington 1187 super mag in 3 1/2 inch that wouldn’t eject. Had to send it back 3 times and it still wouldn’t operate properly. Got the presidents name and address and sent him a letter explaining in a nice way how disappointed I was that I had paid a lot of money for that shotgun and they had had it in their possession more than I and the damn thing won’t work and they keep sending it back. Got a call from customer device and they asked me what they could do to make it right. I said I just want a working shotgun and to have what I paid for. This shotgun was a new release, I told customer service just admit it, your having problems with these right? He said yes. I said ok, send me a camo 870 and send me a check for the difference. The 1187 cost way more. So they made that right after sending it back three times. I did smoke a gobbler with that 1187 single shot!!! Sob jammed every time. So they sent that 870 camo express. Didn’t hunt one spring with it until the front sight came off. Guess what, the express models at the time had staked on sights, not threaded. They had to send me a new barrel for that 870. Got the new barrel in and sold that gun to a buddy. He knew the complete story behind it and it never gave him any issues. Those were the last Remington’s I ever purchased. Grew up with 700’s, 1100’s and 870’s but the quality is not there anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Since I never know when it might Kahrap out on me again...
Ha! I like your use of the verb form there.

I'm impressed by the tenacity you showed with yours. Obviously a Sisyphean undertaking in retrospect, but I bet you learned some things that I didn't with all of the work you put into it on your own. I just didn't have any patience with it. I'd come home from the range pissed off and would hop on the phone with Ian at Kahr customer service right away to get the cursed thing back to the factory. That said, I guess I did keep taking it to the range to discover its new problems well beyond the point that a lot of people would have given up on it.

It's all really a shame, because it's such a great little gun in theory.

Last edited by Austin_TX; 02-11-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:33 PM

A Marlin 1894 lever action in 44 magnum. Gun is in beautiful shape but has the dreaded “Marlin Jam” issue. I bought a new carrier and that didn’t fix the problem. Sent the gun to Montana to a lever gun gunsmith. Gun came back with the same problem. I don’t think the guy even worked on it. I would love to get this rifle up and running again if I could find someone that knows how to fix Marlins.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
My Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight 45 ACP.
DITTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
I've posted my issues in the Les Baer subforum:
Also, DITTO

It works fine now (after two trips to Les), albeit still picky about magazines...so I dont really regret owning it. But if I had to choose a pistol out of all the ones I've purchased it would be the LB simply because BOTH those trips (@ $90/ea on MY dime), plus several aftermarket magazine purchases, negated the smokin' deal I got buying a NOS rather than ordering it exactly how I wanted.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:30 AM

I forgot about the Marlin I had. When the Model 1894 CL version came out around 1990 and .32-20 was a chambering I ordered a new one out for more .32-20 fun and to take some of the shooting pressure off of the 1896 vintage Winchester Model 1892 here.

Rifle was wholly wretched. Trigger "took two men and a boy" to pull it. Even scoped the rifle's accuracy was abysmal. The ancient Winchester Model 1892 would handily whip it for accuracy from off the bench rest, shooting tighter groups with original open sights. Working the lever felt like rummaging around in a sack of empty tin cans. The crowning glory though was a large shallow pit in the bore. Located just in front of the rifling it was readily apparent that the barrel had been rifled right on top of the pit. Wasn't a result of corrosion, but rather a manufacturing flaw.

I contacted Marlin and they offered to make it good under warranty. Was so disappointed in the rifle and the experience though that I never bothered to send it in. Instead I just left in in the corner of a closet for a decade, finally selling it to a machinist bud who wanted it for rebarreling into a .357 Magnum.

I really wanted to like that rifle and it was the first Marlin I ever acquired. Left a sour taste though.

The 124 year-old Winchester Model 1892 still gives perfect satisfaction and sees regular use afield and for plinking.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:33 AM

Kimber 1911 Pro Carry II.
Split the frame, right side, the length of the rail...
Had multiple FTEs and FTF and sent it back and they charged me the same price as when I bought it new.
Their aluminum frames suck. Cheap and too soft.
Ramp wore out and the grip screw bushings kept stripping out with the torque wrench set to specs.
Dumped it off at the local gun store, lost a bit on it, but glad to be rid of it.
Kimber customer service was rude and not professional about it at all.
Pretty guns but flimsy.
VFW