1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-08-2020, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Managed a short range trip

Managed a short range trip today with the EDC X9 (haven't shot it since last May at the Berryville Bash) and the Berreta/Wilson Centurion Tactical (also shot last time at the Bash). Put 160 rounds through the X9 and 120 rounds through the Centurion. It only took about an hour and a half for all 280 rounds plus picking up my brass. The wind was blowing just ebough to blow the target stands down, so I had to improvise with the steel that was there, so no pictures. There was a plate rack, followed by a double-popper, followed by a swinger for .22 (2" round), next was a dueling tree that acted as a "ladder" (as you shot it from right side to left side it dropped a notch and same for right to left - after 8 shots it dropped out the bottom), then another plate rack, then one more swinger of same size as the first. I was shooting my reloads from my new Dillon Super 1050, 135 gr. Xtreme CPHP, at 15 yards. The 2" rounds were the most challenging (surprise, surprise), but it was a good challenge.

I started with the X9, and soon got the feel of it again and was hitting the plates well enough that most of them bounced back up and had to be shot again...perhaps I need to go to a bit lighter load?? Or maybe use these for bowling pins?! I did have trouble hitting the 2" swingers and only got about 50% hits on them. Switched to the Centurion, and actually shot it a bit better than the X9, even with the double action first trigger pull. I used the de-cocker a few times just to be sure; yep, the Centurion has that good a first trigger pull. Still a little trouble with the swingers, although improving.

Final few mags in each gun were at the 2" swingers to see if I could "flip" them over the swing bar. Still at 15 yards. Yep, about 40% of the time I could "flip" them in 3 or 4 shots. Not my "stellar" day, but certainly not something to beat myself up over either. My legs and feet got really sore bending down to pick up the brass, but I came home with about 200 more casings than I shot - that always improves a range day (my Dillon Super 1050 will be happy, and so will Xtreme when I have to order another 2k bullets!).

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 02-08-2020, 08:09 PM

Any day at the range - long or short is a fine day for sure....
Old 02-09-2020, 05:24 AM

Sounds nice G50, glad you got out, nice shooting.

I need to get out, making a commit to get out the first decent weather day from here.

I've looked at my shooting-log over the last few years and realized I get to the range only 10X a year in the last several years. That is down a bit from when I started shooting pistols in 2012-2015 time frame. But the good news is even with 10-trips a year I am happy with my performance (especially the cold-performance which is what matters most). I give a lot of credit for that because I added that SIRT-gun to my dry fire routine and since then dry-fire 2X a week instead of 1 (Sirt once a week and once/week with one of my many guns). As you know, the SIRT enables one to do some things which can't be done as well with a regular firearm, so the two types of guns create a very symbiotic relationship and become even more productive when used together in a dry-fire program.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 02-09-2020 at 05:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2020, 08:02 AM

Sounds like a good day. I’ve spent most of my outdoor time recently behind a snow blower and shovel.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-09-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
Sounds like a good day. I’ve spent most of my outdoor time recently behind a snow blower and shovel.
Do you have pictures to back that tale up?
Old 02-09-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
I'm with you. Seems every time I have a day off... BAM, snowstorm.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:53 PM

Nice.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:03 PM

A good day! +1911

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself