Reloading Info - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-08-2020, 06:59 AM

Reloading Info

What's up everyone? I've recently received 500 free Hornady 185gr XTP's with the purchase of a new press (Hornady LnL AP).

I've been checking my manuals and I'm seeing am starting loads 9.2gr of Accurate #5 with an OAL of 1.23; I can't find any other info between the manuals and the forums. I've never reloaded hollow points so I'm not sure if this is the correct starting load; I'm used to loading 4.6gr of bullseye powder under a 230gr round nose with an OAL of 1.253, so 9.2grip seems a little high.

Also, would win231 be a better choice of powder? Because that seems to have the same starting load as aa#5.

Any info would be highly appreciated as I'm a little nervous about losing a finger.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to our Forum. There are a lot of experienced, smart members that post here, particularly in this reloading section.

IMO, Hornady 185XTP are great bullets. In fact, my favorite bullets. To make load suggetions for you, it would be most helpful to know your intent for the load. HP's are normally considered a self-defense bullet, but the XTP's in particular are excellent target bullets. Usually you want a higher velocity for SD and a lower velocity for target work.

My Hornady manual (4th Edition) shows a starting load of 4.1gr Bullseye (750fps) & max of 5.4gr (900fps). For W231 start 5.4gr (800fps) & AA#5 start 7.0gr (800fps).

OAL is shown as 1.230".

NRA Life Member
Old 02-08-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Welcome to our Forum. There are a lot of experienced, smart members that post here, particularly in this reloading section.

IMO, Hornady 185XTP are great bullets. In fact, my favorite bullets. To make load suggetions for you, it would be most helpful to know your intent for the load. HP's are normally considered a self-defense bullet, but the XTP's in particular are excellent target bullets. Usually you want a higher velocity for SD and a lower velocity for target work.

My Hornady manual (4th Edition) shows a starting load of 4.1gr Bullseye (750fps) & max of 5.4gr (900fps). For W231 start 5.4gr (800fps) & AA#5 start 7.0gr (800fps).

OAL is shown as 1.230".
Thanks for the reply and advice. The XTP's will most likely be reserved for target due to state legislation regarding hollow points for self defense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

You don't show a location in your profile. Are we talking California?

NRA Life Member
Old 02-08-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Pistolero View Post
The XTP's will most likely be reserved for target due to state legislation regarding hollow points for self defense.
What state regulates bullet types and what does the state say about hollow points ??
Old 02-08-2020, 09:28 AM

I'm from NJ unfortunately. You can transport them to the range but that's about it. Retired cops can't even carry them here.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:29 AM

Always start with intended use.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post

OAL is shown as 1.230".
Just to add a few golden nuggets to Rod's recommendation...

Self defense bullets are designed for a specific velocity for optimum performance. To be specific reducing the velocity from the manufacturer's velocity is counter productive.

To get there not all powders will perform the same within the max pressure/velocity limits. Basically heavier bullets may require a slower powder to achieve the desired velocity within the max pressure.

Faster powders may be a better choice for lighter bullets at target velocities. Your barrel will be the final judge!

(These factors, available powders, shooter interest and SAAMI spec'd barrels impeded the development of the 9mm until the 80's!)

All the best,

Last edited by jjfitch; 02-08-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:35 AM

Doesn't seem like you need a +P defensive load.
For a 185JHP target load, I'd go with a much faster powder. W231 can work, but faster might be better. Test some at 6.3gr, if you need to stick with W231.

For A#5, consider starting around 8.5gr A#5 with those 185XTP's which should get you ~900fps or better at 1.21-1.22". Then ladder up from there.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 02-08-2020, 10:53 AM

Not meaning to be demeaning, but if I needed data on a specific bullet, I'd go with the bullet manufacturer's data. Hornady XTPs? Use Hornady data. My Hornady 10th shows 13 different powder recommended for the 185 XTP with velocities up to 1050 fps from a 1911...

Go slow. Double check everything. And most important, have fun...
Old 02-08-2020, 12:03 PM

Thanks for all of the answers. Looks like I'll have to get a few more manuals and do some testing.