Need help figuring out who to have work on my 1911 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-05-2020, 12:34 PM

Need help figuring out who to have work on my 1911

I've got an old AMT Hardballer that has some "issues". Prior owner decided to "polish" the feed ramp and basically destroyed it (there is a sharp edge at the end of the ramp next to the magazine). Additionally, the frame & slid fit is very loose so I'd like that fixed and last the screw for the height adjustment on the rear site disappeared a long time ago.

So I need a good/trusted gunsmith to
  • Replace the barrel, bushing, etc
  • Fix the frame to slide fit
  • Either find the correct rear sight screw or replace the sights (prefer adjustable)
  • Cleanup around the grip safety where I did my best to fit an extended beavertail
Old 02-05-2020, 09:53 PM

OP...

Please don't take this the wrong way.

I really think you would be better off sending a different gun off for work. I know the feeling and frustration of having a gun that's not reliable, but AMT never had the best track record when it came to quality in their hardballer. Finding someone willing to work on it might not be so easy either.

I hesitate to recommend a gun, but some top notch custom guns have been built off Springfield guns.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 02-05-2020, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Jason. It doesn't make good financial sense to spend very much money to fix problems with a Hardballer. Unless it has some great sentimental value to you.

NRA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 11:37 PM

Agree with the good money after bad sentiments.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:10 AM

Agree, pig's ear, etc.
Two friends managed it, though. One was a skilled hand tool gunsmith, the other a toolroom machinist for a major corporation. They made Hardballers run. I would not want to pay somebody to do what they did.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:46 PM

Its the first pistol I bought, so it sentimental to me. I use it as a target pistol only, so my requirements are less than a carry pistol. I had found someone to work on it before, but I'll be damned if I can find the email with the gunsmith name. Ideally I'll get a custom 1911 but for now I just want my Hardballer to be more accurate than it is now. It functions fine, just seems to be a waste not to fix the frame & barrel issues if I am having the frame to slide fit fixed.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:20 PM

Mr. Cloud, we have the best pistol-smiths in the world who post on this Forum. Derr Precision, Chambers Custom, BEC, Heirloom Precision, and others. Start there.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 PM

DO NOT squeeze the slide or peen the frame rails to tighten the slide to frame fit on an AMT. That will result in broken parts on those particular guns. Not a good idea on any gun with the methods we have available today.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
DO NOT squeeze the slide or peen the frame rails to tighten the slide to frame fit on an AMT. That will result in broken parts on those particular guns. Not a good idea on any gun with the methods we have available today.
I had one and the gunsmith that installed a new Wilson barrel in it etc. told me to leave the slide alone. It was a tack driver when he was done.

With the ramp messed up you may want to inquire about installing a ramped barrel.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
I had one and the gunsmith that installed a new Wilson barrel in it etc. told me to leave the slide alone. It was a tack driver when he was done.

With the ramp messed up you may want to inquire about installing a ramped barrel.
I was considering a ramped barrel. I'm also hoping something can be done about the rear sight. Without the factory screw it just has a screw with the right thread held in place with some blue locktight.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2020, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
I was considering a ramped barrel. I'm also hoping something can be done about the rear sight. Without the factory screw it just has a screw with the right thread held in place with some blue locktight.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
I doubt that the screw will be a problem
Old 02-07-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
If nothing else, I was thinking DuraCoat on the rails on the frame and slide to help keep it from getting worse/galling.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:27 AM

Put it in a shadow box as a keepsake if you must but invest your money in a gun with more potential.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:48 AM

Tell us where you are and you might get a recommendation for a pistolsmith who you can speak face to face with. AMT Hardballers are challenging to work on. A real gunsmith friend of mine and I had an informal contest to determine whose Hardballer could be made into a reliable match gun. We both won the contest by exchanging info and replacing lots of parts. Jim Watson's post echoes our experience.