High round count? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-05-2020, 09:31 AM

High round count?

At what point do you consider a gun to have a high round count?

I know that something with 20k+ rounds on it woudl probably be considered to have a high round count by most, but how about 10k rounds? What about 5k rounds?

I am just curious at what point you consider the gun to have a "high round count".
Old 02-05-2020, 09:34 AM

Per gun type or total all together .

Last edited by JB6464; 02-05-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:39 AM

Depends on the gun, caliber, and ammunition used. For example, a Smith 29-2 with hot for caliber .44 magnum and 300 grain bullets compared to a Ruger Super Redhawk using light .44 specials would have different “high round” counts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 09:57 AM

When you loose accuracy due to wear.
I have a bullseye gun that I have used in competition for 40 years. It has worn out 3 barrels and rebuilt twice. It is still accurate so I don't consider it high round count.
Round count is ???
Old 02-05-2020, 10:03 AM

I have over 2000 rounds on my DB380. I think thats pretty high for that pistol. Still runs like a champ
Old 02-05-2020, 10:04 AM

When it starts to look like it has a high round count.

Then it has a high round count.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:17 AM

I can tell when a gun is unfired or dang close to it. But once it's been used awhile, who knows?

It's a mystery of which I have no interest in the answer. Nearly all my guns were bought as vintage or antique. Some are quite worn from use, some are not.

The worn ones tend to be my favorites. How many rounds have been down the pipe? plenty, I hope.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:27 AM

Well, I have several with between 2 and 3k but only one that is now approaching 5k.

I do not consider any of them to be "high round count", but was just wondering what the general consensus was on what "High Round Count" really means.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:38 AM

There are so few moving parts and so easy to replace in my mind round count is irrelevant! I look for overall condition and evidence of proper care.

After all who really cares except at time of resale. The blue book of gun values is a good place to start and internet sales. Neither one sets prices based on round count.

I have a S&W M-41 from 1962 (probably over 30,000 rounds) and one from 1982 (probably 3,000 rounds) aside from some minor finish wear it's hard to tell round count either visually of on paper!

Smiles,
Old 02-05-2020, 12:23 PM

In my opinion there's 4 stages of round count

1. Unfired
2. Barely used &/or used very carefully
3. Heavily used & worn but functional
4. Plumb wore out / totaled

There's not much VERIFIABLE gradient in the #3 category. How many thousands of rounds that wear took doesn't really matter.

It's like "what's the nail count on this hammer?" Ummm......... between some and lots?
Old 02-05-2020, 12:27 PM

Depends. External wear doesn't matter since I have had many of my high end 1911s refinished for only $300 or so and I can always have that done at any time.

I blew up several revolvers at only 5k rounds or had very serious parts break

My DB9 failed at 2800

For precision rifles every 2000 is new barrel time

Most of the guns I carry/compete/use heavily all have no questions asked lifetime warranties and I have used the refit option on one of them at 43k rounds but it was actually still working just fine

AR type rifles I would say 15k rounds until a rebarrel at 20k then it's new again assuming all springs and small parts are also changed

My CZs all has at least 5k on them and my CMs have over 10k and my shadow 1 has about 11k and it kidna is starting to loosen up

I've had Glocks break small parts in as soon as 100 rounds or as long as 5k so I don't really know how they do since it seems random

SIGs like the 226 are supposed to have a bunch of stuff replaced at 20k

It all depends on the gun really, some will go 100k no issues and others will die before 5k
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-05-2020, 01:32 PM

A lot of duty type guns have a recommendation to change the recoil spring at 5000 rounds. That's considered basic maintenance. Even Glock recommends spring changes then.

Depending on the gun certain parts have recommended replacement intervals. Certain parts should be considered consumables. Just like you replace your brakes, tires, and other parts on your vehicle if you want to stop, go, or just keep it running properly. So 5000 rounds is just an oil and filter change equivalent in a car.

Most guns will go well beyond those intervals though. And usually it's just a parts swap when something does break even then. Most people won't or in some cases can't afford to shoot 50K rounds in a single firearm. I'd consider 50K to be a somewhat high round count on an original everything gun. One that has had the consumable parts and springs replaced at reasonable intervals, but the main components are still good is one I would consider a proven and still running firearm.

Now something like the old .220 Swift or most any Weatherby magnum or other known barrel burners. Those don't take a lot of rounds before you throat erosion sets in and accuracy falls off.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW

Last edited by Amos Iron Wolf; 02-05-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:16 PM

I am certain that I have never tracked nor had any interest in how many rounds I've put through any of my firearms.

That said, I reckon 10,000 rounds would be 'high-ish"? Will the correct answer to the question win a prize?

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-05-2020, 02:46 PM

Depends on if your buying or selling.

Similar to buying or selling a car and miles.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
I am just curious at what point you consider the gun to have a "high round count".
For me this question is much more important for precision rifles as accuracy starts to suffer after the barrel life has been expended...and obviously that's different for every caliber. My Bartlein .308 barrels are good for 8,000-10,000 rounds, where their 6.5 Creedmoor is only good for about 2,000 rounds before accuracy wanes. Of course, proper break-in and careful bore cleaning comes into play as well.

On a quality pistol I would say over 10K is high. Im not sure how much accuracy is effected by barrel wear on pistols, but ALL my pistol shooting is at <25 yards, so as long as its functioning properly with no overly-worn parts Im not too concerned.

I do notice almost EVERY used gun for sale on TGT has "only 150 rounds" through it. I always wondered about that until I had buyers try to negotiate down VERY fairly-priced pistols because they thought 500-1000 rounds was extreme!! 700 rounds on a CZ RAMI is extreme??
Now all MY used pistols for sale will have approx "150 rounds". LOL

I have way more guns than time to shoot them, so only 10% of my collection will ever see close to 5000 rounds. I shamefully admit that some still have ZERO rounds fired.

Last edited by Flight Medic; 02-06-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:04 AM
Banned

there are pump action 22 rimfire rifles that were used as carnival gallery guns that have had the rifling worn out by usage, perhaps half a million rounds... but they still look great
Old 02-06-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny handgun View Post
Depends on if your buying or selling.

Similar to buying or selling a car and miles.
LOL!!! So true. One man's "worn out" is another man's "just broken in"......
Old 02-06-2020, 08:38 AM

I have a Springfield Milspec I bought in 1988 and it has reached over 60K rounds. Another one has reached 40K rounds. And they both still run like a Swiss watch. I reckon they are "broken in" now.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:02 AM

I don't consider a gun broke in with less than 1000 rounds. If I'm just going to pick a number I'd consider 20K rounds starting to get high on any of my Sigs, or CZ's. I change springs at varying intervals, depending on the gun, and what I use it for. I've got a .40 Shield. I carried it for a while, but now I use it for training when I get sloppy. It's a perfect "have to do everything right to shoot accurately" gun. Shooting it makes me shoot all of my other guns better. It's got over 9000 rounds on it. Nothing but springs have been changed.

I've got a (plastic) Springfield I ended up with used. I have no idea how many rounds it's been shot. It doesn't look really worn, but everyone that shoots it has a nice 12 inch grouping at 10 yards.

My Glocks, and my High Point Yeet Cannon are safe queens. I don't want them to lose value because they've been shot.

Striker2237, what failed at 2800 rounds on your DB380? Just curious.
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b View Post
I don't consider a gun broke in with less than 1000 rounds. If I'm just going to pick a number I'd consider 20K rounds starting to get high on any of my Sigs, or CZ's. I change springs at varying intervals, depending on the gun, and what I use it for. I've got a .40 Shield. I carried it for a while, but now I use it for training when I get sloppy. It's a perfect "have to do everything right to shoot accurately" gun. Shooting it makes me shoot all of my other guns better. It's got over 9000 rounds on it. Nothing but springs have been changed.

I've got a (plastic) Springfield I ended up with used. I have no idea how many rounds it's been shot. It doesn't look really worn, but everyone that shoots it has a nice 12 inch grouping at 10 yards.

My Glocks, and my High Point Yeet Cannon are safe queens. I don't want them to lose value because they've been shot. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/rock.gif[/IMG]

Striker2237, what failed at 2800 rounds on your DB380? Just curious.

DB9 actually and it lost the trigger linkage, broke in half. Was also told the frame was beginning to be destroyed at the recoil abutment as well so they STILL haven't sent me a replacement gun. It's been 9 months, this is in stark contrast to Wilson who will refit a gun (refinish, re checker, adjust everything, replace everything worn, re-tighten slide to frame, and basically make everything perfect) in 9 days from when the gun leaves your hand to it retuning to your door.

Not all lifetime warranties are equal. I'm also looking forward to the Yeet cannon coming on sale since ironically high point is really really good about helping you out if something breaks.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-06-2020, 10:35 AM

Hi-point has excellent cs. I had a 9mm carbine with a front sight that kept sliding off during firing even after proper torque and loctite. Rep was very helpful and sent me a new sight to try first and if that did not work then send the gun in. Very positive experience. One call got everything handled no wait on hold for 20 minutes or endless emails. New sight fixed the problem.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:12 PM

It depends on the quality of the gun.

Poorly fitted parts of inferior material may beat themselves to death have premature fatigue and slop.

Well fitted parts made of quality steel will operate as designed with minimized wear. Keep the springs changed at correct intervals and the gun lubricated properly and it may last longer than any of us will.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:55 PM

Well I have a Ruger sr1911 that I bought the first year they were out and it has over 100k I think it is a high round count but it still shoots nice tight groups

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk