Well after 37 years....... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 03:00 PM

Well after 37 years.......

....of faithful service.....my old Lyman Turbo 1200 bit the dust today.......

May she rest in peace.

Thanks to Amazon Prime.....I'll have a new one here on Thursday afternoon.

If the new one lasts as long.....I won't have to buy another till I'm 97. LOLOL!!!!
Old 02-04-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

If the new one lasts as long.....I won't have to buy another till I'm 97. LOLOL!!!!
And by then, Amazon will have your home so thoroughly wired that they will know that it has broken before you do and will have the new one there before you even knew you needed it.

All hail Amazon, most powerful and merciful provider of stuff!!!!!!

Last edited by havanajim; 02-04-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:24 PM

Noisy?!!

Quote:

May she rest in peace.

I have an old one like yours that has gotten noisy due to the bushings getting elongated from running for several days 2-3 times a year. I clean around 10,000 - 12,000 a year.

Setting next to it are two newer ones. Yes, I run 3 vibratory cleaners so I can clean several calibers at once. The noisy one is run lightly just for light cleaning.

Now for the question: Does anyone know the model of the "C-frame" motor that can be used as a replacement. I did several searches and was unsuccessful!

This came up several years ago but I didn't need one then!

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by jjfitch; 02-04-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 06:27 AM

Lyman Turbo 1200 case cleaner....

I had a Dillon C-500 vibratory case cleaner for over 20 years before it finally quit.....since their new tumblers are over $150, I knew I won't be shooting for another 20 years since I won't live that long.....

I purchased a Lyman Turbo Pro 1200 with two separate bowl sizes for about $70. It is a little noisier than my now defunct Dillon, but I use it my garage, and the noise is not noticeable inside the house.... It works fine, and I can tumble about 300 9mm cases at a time using crushed walnut media, using the larger bowl....I usually let the Lyman run for about 2 hours

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 02-05-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:

May she rest in peace.

Make sure you bury it deep enough so the dog doesn’t dig it back up!!
Old 02-05-2020, 09:34 PM

UH, reread the OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
I use a D550 for making new test loads, and also for many different calibers of ammo I use in smaller volume. I have 8 tool heads with dies set up for various calibers. My D550 was purchased new about 40 years ago.....and it has always made good reloads. I also use the D550 to make .223 ammo for my Ar-15 rifles.

I was reloading some new 9mm loads to try out, however, I started having issues.....the brass cases were not resizing properly, the bullets were not seating to the same depth, and finally, the primers were not being seated to the correct depth.....it was unusual and frustrating....

I removed the tool head, then carefully examined the shell plate, and the primer system...… I found the part that holds the steel handle, called the "crank" assembly had cracked, and allowed the part to flex which was causing the issues.... I still had my RL-550 owners manual and reviewed the part that had cracked on the schematic diagram.

I made a call to Dillon in AZ, and they are sending me the crank and two new lift arm links at no charge......the D550 has a lifetime warranty, and they honored it! For my 9mm loads I use in local matches, I use my RL-1050, which I purchased after the first year they were on the market.....I have never regretted the decision! Neither the RL-1050 nor the Super 1050 have a lifetime warranty, since they are considered by Dillon to be "commercial grade" machines. Even so, the only issue I have had with my RL-1050, is the case feeder switch went out....it was $6.50 to replace.....
Did this get pasted to the wrong thread?

All the best,
Old 02-05-2020, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
Did this get pasted to the wrong thread?

All the best,
I think it did, so I'm going to guess that the thread he wanted it in was the Turret Press thread and I'll move it there.

NRA Life Member
Old 02-06-2020, 04:46 AM

Issues using a Dillon 550 press for reloads....

I had no idea "where" to write and explain this thread.....

Quote:
I'm going to guess that the thread he wanted it in was the Turret Press thread and I'll move it there.
I don't think a Dillon 550 is a turret press, since the tool head does not move, and the shell plate moves the cartridge to the next die station. I started off reloading with a Spar T Lyman turret press, and the turret rotated for the next die, but it still took too many cranks of the ram handle, and was not considered a progressive press like the D550.....

However, I was surprised that my D550 developed a crack that adversely affected my reloads, and thought it was worth sharing. Dillon honored their lifetime warranty and the new parts are on the way...... At least I got the information in "the Reloading Section!"
Old 02-06-2020, 06:17 AM

Prolly should start a new thread completely fun guy. Folks may want to chime in on a 550 that developed a “crack”. First one I have heard of.
TRSOtto was talking about a disparaged Turbo 1200 that he had to lay to rest.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:54 AM

Just change the thread title to "Broken Reloading Stuff" and everyone can pile on.
Turbo 1200 can't even make it to the fourth decade of use.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 02-06-2020, 06:54 AM

Dillon 550 with a cracked "crank"

Yes, in hindsight, I should have started a new thread.....
Old 02-06-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
Just change the thread title to "Broken Reloading Stuff" and everyone can pile on.
Turbo 1200 can't even make it to the fourth decade of use.
They just don't make stuff to last any more.....LOL!!!

My PEET boot dryer is only 27 yrs old....it'll probably croak any day now....
Old 02-06-2020, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Another possibly interesting thread: the "Timex's" of our reloading equipment. They "take a licking and keep on ticking".

NRA Life Member
Old 02-06-2020, 09:10 AM

Do primer flip trays count? I have an ancient one that's still going strong!!!!!
Old 02-06-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Another possibly interesting thread: the "Timex's" of our reloading equipment. They "take a licking and keep on ticking".
How about a 50+ year old reloading press still going strong? Those old cast iron presses will outlast about everyone

The gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it.
Ethan Allens reply to the Kings Attorney General of New York claiming authority over Vermont before picking up arms.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Oh boy! Can you imagine........that would start a mud slinging event of epic proportions! Of course, I wouldn’t be innocent of injecting my .02
Old 02-07-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Oh boy! Can you imagine........that would start a mud slinging event of epic proportions! Of course, I wouldn’t be innocent of injecting my .02
I bet it would be tame, there would likely be no lee progressives mentioned. ...lol
Old 02-08-2020, 07:04 AM

At least you got 37 years out of it. I've had my Lock n Load AP for 2 months and its already starting to go lol. I'm kicking myself over not going with the Dillon 650.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:41 AM

Out of curiosity, what’s “starting to go”?
Old 02-08-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Out of curiosity, what’s “starting to go”?
My index wheel split in half, but that may have cracked somehow in shipping. The primer feeder (forgot the actual name) broke apart mid cycle, sending the wheel to one part of the room, the pin to another, and the spring somewhere under a cabinet. I've also gone through 2 sets of pawls and3 case retainer springs. The press itself is fine, but I can't say the same for all of the parts that help it run.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:47 AM

New Lyman is up and rockin......
Attached Thumbnails
MVIMG_20200208_104430_1581176727613.jpg  
Old 02-08-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
New Lyman is up and rockin......
Purty sight right there !!!!

I finally made it to the range this past week and have some nice dirty brass to play with.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Pistolero View Post
My index wheel split in half, but that may have cracked somehow in shipping. The primer feeder (forgot the actual name) broke apart mid cycle, sending the wheel to one part of the room, the pin to another, and the spring somewhere under a cabinet. I've also gone through 2 sets of pawls and3 case retainer springs. The press itself is fine, but I can't say the same for all of the parts that help it run.
2 months?? Seriously......anyone else have a problem like that?
That sounds completely isolated. I would call them and have an entire new unit sent to you. That’s unacceptable!