Alchemy Classic Carry with new finish offering - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-03-2020, 01:36 PM

Alchemy Classic Carry with new finish offering

On the Facebook page for Alchemy, it was officially announced that, as of today, one could order a Classic Carry with the new Charcoal Blue finish. I jumped on that! I had been wanting to order one with the Elite finish but this offering sealed the deal for me. The other options that I took were the adjustable Tritium rear sight, the flush cut and crowned barrel, and the extended magwell. Now, the wait! lol

Last edited by 1911_Bandit; 02-03-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:17 PM

That is going to be very nice, look forward to some pic's when you get it.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:34 PM

The invoice gives a delivery date of August 3rd, but with my lifetime in manufacturing, I know this is not a hard and fast date. It will be their first Classic Carry in this finish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 03:31 PM

Another fan of the charcoal blue finish! Placed my order through George at Gunslingers. Similar features as yours but in 9mm. Getting the adjustable Novak rear sight with red FO, extended magwell and HRT slide stop. Staying with traditional holly grips.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a really nice build - the charcoal blue finish is a truly classic and uniquely mesmerizing bluing (for those of us that value blued guns). Enjoy, as I'm sure you will. Just remember - the finish is pretty, which many people choose to make a safe queen when they get it in hand, but IMO that is a true mistake as the finish holds up well and looks even more classic with holster wear.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 02-03-2020, 05:27 PM

Oh all my guns are shooters. No safe queens here. In fact Iím still debating if I want to upgrade to Robís Hard Fit option. This will be a looker and a range gun and used for defensive shooting class.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTom View Post
Oh all my guns are shooters. No safe queens here. In fact Iím still debating if I want to upgrade to Robís Hard Fit option. This will be a looker and a range gun and used for defensive shooting class.
That's a good thing! When I got my first Baron blued gun, I went to a Hackathorn class, and one of the drills was to lay the gun on the ground and pick it up to engage the perp. I got a lot of very strange looks, and a smile from Ken for running that drill with a Baron blued Wilson. Except for minor holster wear, the gun still looks pretty pristeen to this day - after several of those classes, 7 years of use including a lot of holstering, and over 8k rounds through it. IMO, the wear enhances its looks, and the blued finish on guns is not as fragile as many think.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 02-03-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpas50AE View Post
Sounds like a really nice build - the charcoal blue finish is a truly classic and uniquely mesmerizing bluing (for those of us that value blued guns). Enjoy, as I'm sure you will. Just remember - the finish is pretty, which many people choose to make a safe queen when they get it in hand, but IMO that is a true mistake as the finish holds up well and looks even more classic with holster wear.
I had been considering the full hard chrome treatment on a Classic Carry because of its' wear resistance. The Charcoal Blue finish promises to be the durable finish that I was after. I have no plans for this to be a safe queen.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:12 PM

This Carbona blueing is done by Turnbull but all the polishing is done in house by Alchemy including not only the flats but the rounds too! The slide stop, safety and grip screws are standard nitre bluing which are beautiful but more prone to wearing. Kind of OK with that. Going to add character. If it really wears I can always refinish them in the Carbona blue.
Attached Thumbnails
CD7FCC9D-C0AF-4C43-A043-449DE18B79F4.jpeg  

Last edited by GTTom; 02-04-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:39 PM

ACW standard blueing is beautiful, makes it hard to imagine what this will be like.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:06 PM

Comparison of Alchemy’s regular blueing and their Carbona Blueing. Still tough to capture the difference. Regular bluing first and Carbona blueing second. In the second notice the gloss on the rounds like the top of the slide, the frame and also the contrast of nitre bluing of the control pieces.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6QjSQRJ65W/

Last edited by GTTom; 02-03-2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Comparison of Alchemyís regular blueing and their Carbona Blueing. Still tough to capture the difference. Regular bluing first and Carbona blueing second. In the second notice the gloss on the rounds like the top of the slide, the frame and also the contrast of nitre bluing of the control pieces.

Two beautiful pistols...congrats!
Nothing like blued guns, at least to me.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:14 PM

Is this just available for the Prime or for other models as well?
Old 02-03-2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR1107 View Post
Is this just available for the Prime or for other models as well?
This option does not show up on the order sheet yet, so I was instructed to list it in the 'note' section. It is available on all models, per the Facebook post. Also, ACW is offering a CCH finish on all models now, if that is your preference.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Comparison of Alchemyís regular blueing and their Carbona Blueing. Still tough to capture the difference. Regular bluing first and Carbona blueing second. In the second notice the gloss on the rounds like the top of the slide, the frame and also the contrast of nitre bluing of the control pieces.

Very nice and real helpful to see the comparison.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2020, 07:17 AM

Amazing workmanship.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:47 AM

I'm taking the Charcoal bluing to the level it always should have been offered. Others have it available but they cop out and bead blast the rounds. This makes the gun look not much different than a hot blued gun. The full brush finish gives the true appearance that Charcoal bluing can actually deliver.

It takes me 10 full hours to prep and blend all of the parts for one of these. I also have proprietary prep on the CCH lowers that hopefully makes more color pop. I hate frames that have only a small amount of blues with mostly straw. I worked with Jim at Turnbull to arrive at the best level of prep and his input on techniques to get the most figure out of the process.

We were originally going to use Ron's Gun Shop in Osh Kosh for the work as I had gotten Charcoal bluing done by them in the past and really thought it was great. However, they informed me that they are sticking to mainly restorations these days. They offer some finish options that are really off the reservation as far as what most people are used to. They dabble in the British shotgun restoration market so the work is commensurate with what those customers expect.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:08 AM

Good job raising the bar, Rob. Your passion shows in your work.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlchemyCustom View Post
I'm taking the Charcoal bluing to the level it always should have been offered. Others have it available but they cop out and bead blast the rounds. This makes the gun look not much different than a hot blued gun. The full brush finish gives the true appearance that Charcoal bluing can actually deliver.

It takes me 10 full hours to prep and blend all of the parts for one of these. I also have proprietary prep on the CCH lowers that hopefully makes more color pop. I hate frames that have only a small amount of blues with mostly straw. I worked with Jim at Turnbull to arrive at the best level of prep and his input on techniques to get the most figure out of the process.

We were originally going to use Ron's Gun Shop in Osh Kosh for the work as I had gotten Charcoal bluing done by them in the past and really thought it was great. However, they informed me that they are sticking to mainly restorations these days. They offer some finish options that are really off the reservation as far as what most people are used to. They dabble in the British shotgun restoration market so the work is commensurate with what those customers expect.
Well your attention to detail and desire for the best is worth the wait. I'm looking forward to getting the finished product