When is a gun show not a "Gun Show" - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-01-2020, 10:52 AM

When is a gun show not a "Gun Show"

I decided to attend a gun show at the Cobb County (GA) Civic Center today, hosted by RK Shows. What a waste of 20 minutes and $12!

5, maybe 6, tables were selling guns. One table had used guns, looked like a private sale. The rest of the tables were selling handmade soap, cookware (with cooking demonstration!), kitchen knives, TWO leaf guard/gutter systems, a home improvement contractor, someone selling pelts, furs and skulls, someone selling phone charging cables, etc., etc. Not much gun related merchandise. And a lot of tables were empty.

I noticed other shows around the Atlanta area seem to be having more and more non-gun related stuff at "gun shows". One even had a jewelry vendor set up, one selling bed sheets sets, one selling perfume.

Are gun shows losing their popularity? Very disappointed and I am reluctant to attend many more, not wanting to waste time and money.

Rant over...
Old 02-01-2020, 11:02 AM

Sounds like our gun shows here in California. $20 to get in and $10 to park :-(
Old 02-01-2020, 11:07 AM

Get on I-20 West and go to Hoover Al to the CASC show this weekend and you will not be disappointed. In March we have the Ala Gun Collectors show, one of the best around our area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God is on the side of the best shots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2020, 11:15 AM

Now you know where to go.

When you need beef jerky, fake indian stuff, Chinese tazers and optics, Chinese knives, obnoxious T shirts, rusty ammo cans, overpriced junk silver, kettle corn, and scented candles. Just do not do what I did and ask the scented candle people if they have one that smells like bacon cooking. They do!
Old 02-01-2020, 11:19 AM

The best gun shows are members only and by invite only, excellent stuff there and the auctions also provide opportunity to get some very nice deals
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Been to few shows like that - lol - many of the local shows attract vendors of a wide range of non-shooting related items. In your scenario, I'd have gone back to the entrance and demanded my entry fee back. If for no other reason than to send a local message.

Not much show sponsors can do about denying table applicants I'm thinking?

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-01-2020, 11:31 AM

I remember gun shows in the 80's and 90's when the skinheads had tables. And literature.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:39 AM

The gun shows here are just dealers getting rid of unsold stock, people selling prepper stuff, and some with paintings, etc. (Nice oil on canvas, patriotic stuff, guy in tricorn with WWI uniform, for example)

But nothing like old gun shows where you had old misurp rifles, fine old revolvers and pistols, etc. Now it's just all so.. commodity.

These aren't gun shows, they're clearance sales. Not interested anymore.
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 02-01-2020, 11:52 AM

Some gun shows are what we call dog. & pony shows. Some promoter lump all the dog & pony stuff in one area we can avoid. Some do not.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:54 AM

I wouldn’t walk across the street for a gun ‘show’ today......
Old 02-01-2020, 12:12 PM

I used to hit a lot of them, and still attend a couple a year. But, they are more and more as the OP describes...
Old 02-01-2020, 12:23 PM

I get tired of seeing all the Chinese import knockoff junk, even if it is gun related.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
The best gun shows are members only and by invite only, excellent stuff there and the auctions also provide opportunity to get some very nice deals
Striker. Are you an OGCA member?
Old 02-01-2020, 03:30 PM

I just got home from a show in West Bend, WI. This is a show that is held a couple times a year or so, put on by an outfit that does gun shows all over WI. It's usually a pretty good show. Maybe I should say "used to be" a good show. It was a dud this time. Much like the OP described, there were more knives, non-gun stuff, and one whole row of cutting boards that some guy made. This show used to be in the larger of the two buildings on the fairgrounds, but this time was in the smaller building and didn't even fill it up. Very disappointing.

I did managed to spend some money though, which is not unusual!

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"
Old 02-01-2020, 04:46 PM
Administrator

The WA Arms Collectors show here in WA isn't quite as bad as what the OP reported but it's still nothing like it was in the pre-Internet days. I think most people have learned they can sell their guns easier on Gunbroker and get more for them than they can selling them at a local flea circus. There are lots of gun collectors at the WAC show, but they usually do their horse trading before the doors even open so there usually isn't much left of interest by the time the public gets a crack at it. And of course if that wasn't bad enough all the new gun laws and mandatory waiting periods have made it a real chore to buy or sell a gun unless it's a single-shot .22 rifle.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:44 PM

A few years ago all of the gun show promoters around here decided to not allow concealed carry at their shows. I don't go to "gun free zones" (even if it is a gun show) unless it's absolutely necessary. Back when I went to a gun show every now and then I left disappointed pretty much every time. A few over priced guns and a bunch of beef jerky, stun guns and other non gun stuff.
I thought this was a gun forum. The rules read "This sub-forum is for general gun-related discussion only. No political commentary or other off-topic discussions are allowed, nor subjects that barely have anything to do with guns or shooting. The only section where off-topic discussion is currently allowed is in the special sub-forum created for site supporters.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:06 PM

I never went to a gun show when I lived in the Peoples Republic of Newyorkistan. It wasn't until I moved to Florida that I was able to go to any. To me it was culture shock anything and everything gun related was available and you could get some pretty good deals. Now the shows here are still pretty good but there are more and more unrelated stuff being sold. I don't go to see homemade jewelry or buy beef jerky or cheap mass produced Chinese knives. But there are still quite a few local gun shops with merchandise for sale sometimes good prices sometimes overpriced. I mainly go to see what available and pickup reloading supplies.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:35 PM

I used to go very month just for entertainment. Have not been to one in over a year.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:41 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The WA Arms Collectors show here in WA isn't quite as bad as what the OP reported but it's still nothing like it was in the pre-Internet days. I think most people have learned they can sell their guns easier on Gunbroker and get more for them than they can selling them at a local flea circus. .
I was there today, for the first time in maybe ten years. It's moved to a smaller hall, and there were fewer than one-third the number of tables as prior.
WAC has rules regarding how much display space can be non-gun related, but there's still plenty of jerky and macramé belts.
Lots of primers at $30-$35 per thousand, when my local gun store sells them for $45 per.
One guy had a rusty Arisaka (no mum, no monopod) tagged $400, and I can remember a table that had a dozen of them lined up, $99 each, back in the day.
Reblued New Service for $1500.
I did linger over a $485 Norinco.
All I bought was scones.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:51 PM

There is a lot of hate for beef jerky in this thread I know we want to see guns not crap.

A few months ago my wife dragged me (kicking and screaming) to a home decor show. 5 feet in I was ready to leave. If there was beef jerky it would not have been so bad.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:52 PM

I haven't been to a regular gun show in years and don't feel the lack.
But I went to a muzzleloader show recently and it was great.
Not large but a great variety and tremendous expertise.
No inlines or plastic sabots, all period or traditional sidelock.
Even the non-gun stuff was appropriate. Need some bear fat? $20 a quart.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
I remember gun shows in the 80's and 90's when the skinheads had tables. And literature.
I unknowingly attended one like this in the 90s. I'm a white male. A lifelong friend and range buddy, who happened to be black, met me there...Before he arrived everyone was like, "Hey Brother.", and "Would you like to join this or that?" None of it was obvious to be racially associated to me, but I must admit, I was a bit naive to this type of thing.
Then my friend arrived. We are both large and fit Army vets who can hold our own in about any situation.
Quickly the entire tone of these folks changed. My buddy asked if he could join one of their "clubs" and got looks like you wouldn't believe. My friend and I still laugh about it to this day.
With that said, it's sad that crap like this still goes on today. I grew up in a predominantly white area. My parents are the most nonprejudicial folks you will ever meet. They instilled upon us to never judge a person or treat a person differently based on skin color. They did teach us to discriminate against relevant characteristics, like stupidity, dishonesty and criminals.
It's sad that these racist hide their intentions under the guise of a gun show.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:17 PM

The Allen Co. OH gun show (once a month) rarely has a vendor not selling guns. And it's usually 3 separate buildings at the fairgrounds.

Granted, they also rarely have anything I actually want, but it IS a GUN show.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:39 PM

There are shows of all sizes in KCMO, but a vast majority of them are guns, tactical gear or ammo and reloading stuff. The big show by the airport always has some lotions, potions candles and creams, as well as the gutter guy, but they are easy to bypass and get back to the gun tables. I went to a little one about 50 miles outside of KCMO that was chock full of guns. Lots of revolvers, lever guns, cool stuff and not just the row after row of AR type rifles and accessories. had some fishing stuff as well, but its near a big fishing lake. They have a prepper show here, but it is clearly advertised as such.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:36 PM

We have a variety of gun shows in the old west, Cheyenne, Wyoming. The local Rifle and Pistol club has an annual show once a year as a fund raiser for their junior program. Mostly guns and gun related items although I did sell 8 rubber chickens at this years show. But they were sold from a table that also had guns for sale.