Ordered an M9 today. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-27-2020, 03:48 PM

Ordered an M9 today.

I have an M9A1 by the bed with light on it. However, I was in the Army during the transition from the M1911A1 to the Beretta. Shot both during that time in Division level competition. I've had my share of 92FS come and go, but it's just not the same as one that says M9 on it for those intangible, nostalgic things.

I didn't realize until I was looking a little closer on Bud's trying to figure out the difference in price between two different M9 Commercial models. Until I realized the one was listed with a professional purchase only. What we used to call LE purchase at one time. Turns out that Veterans, not just retired military, fall into that category now.

This one is also listed as a 25th Anniversary model (Bruniton finish, not the fancy one) and you can pick your serial number from the ones they had available. I picked one I could remember easy. I also prefer the post and dot sights over three dots.

Cash/Check price was $478 at the LE/Mil price. Nice since I see used 92FS for $500-550 around. Not advertising and I realize some here have had issues with Bud's (I've always had good service.), but if you are a Veteran check into their program. LE credentials are usually kept on file for one year. Vet credentials are kept for 10 years.

On a side note. I was looking at Hogue's website and clicked on their ivory polymer grips with the Army logo just to see. They have a note on any of the military logo grips that the government will not allow any of their symbols to be used on firearms related products anymore. There is also a note to write your representatives to push to change that.

Kinda pisses me off. I'm more interested in some G10 grips at the moment, but the idea is a kick. I can't get a set of grips for a firearm I'm getting to reflect and respect my time in the military with the logo of the branch I served in for over a decade. However, I can buy cheap, crappy (not even the good ones) Chinese knives with licensed logos of the different branches of the military that are officially licensed by those branches. I'm sure it's a bunch of civilians and bureaucrats who came up with all that. But it is still insulting.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 01-27-2020, 04:01 PM

Good luck with it.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:04 PM

Nice!!’ I have a bunch of 92FSes but I also had to get an M9 just for nostalgia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2020, 04:13 PM

Nice.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:19 PM

Tax would bring that to about $518 for me, but still a decent price.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Nostalic feelings or not, the M9 is still an excellent firearm. All I need is a "D" spring installed and some 18-round Mec-Gar magazines for it and I'm all set. I have one of the first M9 replicas, a so-called "M9 Special Edition" that came out in 1999 in a big olive green box and included a Bianchi holster set. I avoid shooting that one but I have a standard 92FS that gets a lot of trigger time every year.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:57 PM

I actually have a D spring and the metal trigger & springs from Beretta. I bought it for one of the guns I had before and never installed it. The M9A1 by the bed I'm leaving stock. I'll put the D spring in this one for sure. Had one in a PX4, or was it a Cougar, anyway it was really nice on DA and improved the SA too.

At some point I want to do the G conversions on both guns, but the M9 will get it first.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 01-28-2020, 10:16 AM

I really like the Beretta M9. I bought a 92FS recently and tried to find a configuration as close to the M9 I carried in the Army. The 92FS had the same sights as the M9. The 92FS also had the new polymer parts in the trigger, safety, and guide rod. But good enough for me! Pistol shoots great!
Old 01-28-2020, 12:31 PM

The M9-22 is a nice companion piece.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:30 PM

I've come to really like the M9. If anyone is interested in the railed M9 for cheap. 499 is a bargain. https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...s2.cfm/ID/4736

I picked one of these up last week as a host for a .22 conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcnav View Post
I can't get over the potmetal frame on those. I will not buy a gun made from zamak. I will however, buy a whole new gun for a conversion kit. Just out of curiosity. Are the slides on those made from aluminum, and do they have a steel breach face like the conversion kit?

I was wondering the differences, as frames are definitely not the same as a 92, nor are the magazines the same as the conversion kit.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 01-30-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcnav View Post
I can't get over the potmetal frame on those. I will not buy a gun made from zamak. I will however, buy a whole new gun for a conversion kit. Just out of curiosity. Are the slides on those made from aluminum, and do they have a steel breach face like the conversion kit?

I was wondering the differences, as frames are definitely not the same as a 92, nor are the magazines the same as the conversion kit.
Can't answer your specific questions. All I can say is that the M9-22LR is made by Umarex, not by Beretta. It likely has similar characteristics to the other pot-metal junk firearms that Umarex has produced.

Last edited by Austin_TX; 01-30-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:26 PM
Administrator

In my opinion Umarex builds their .22s to the same quality standards as their Airsoft and BB guns. If you want a .22 Beretta 92FS get a conversion kit instead.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:43 PM

That's pretty much what I did. The .22 conversion from Beretta, is made by Umarex as well. Barrel is steel, slide is aluminum, and breech face is steel. They seem ok, but I have yet to shoot it.

Also if anyone is looking for a standard 15 round Italian Beretta 92, they are 428 at gunprime.

https://gunprime.com/products/berett...taly-js92f300m
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944