Taurus handguns - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-28-2020, 09:06 PM

I had a few hi-point carbines. Not pretty but they work. I'd go hi-point over taurus.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:52 PM
Banned

Been through the Taurus bashing online forums for 2 decades now. Still makes me laugh.

Its always funny that when someone says they have a good Taurus that is reliable and accurate, they always get accused of idiocy, drug use, or simply owning ONLY that one gun period. NO ONE ever wants to admit that a lower priced gun that they perceive to be "lesser" then theirs, it tosses the perception of higher cost equals higher quality.

I own a Taurus 357 magnum, it shoots to point of aim with ALL the 158 grain 357 magnum ammunition I have used in it. shoots poi/poa with cast in 38 special and its a freaky fun gun. only complaints is the screw in the cylinder release likes to back out after the 4th cylinder, and the blueing on the cylinder face is pretty much gone.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:21 AM

I've seen certain revolvers in their line with more than their share of light strikes. I was really disappointed with a Tracker in .45 ACP that had that issue. Good DA trigger, pleasant to shoot, and accurate, when it actually fired. Couldn't get through an entire cylinder without at least two or more failures out of five. Saw the same thing from a 605. Their 94 in .22lr had similar issues. Again, not every gun, but too many with those issues.

The original PT111 had an issue with the recoil spring assembly. The female CSR at Taurus was quite rude to a LEO that was just trying to get a new RSA. After jacking him around she told him it was on backorder for eight weeks and they would tell him then if it would still be on backorder for another eight weeks.

However, they seemed to have a winner in the PT111 G2 going forward. I picked up a used one at the shop before I retired and it runs well. I know several people that have one and they have been very pleased. Pretty amazing given that you can now pick them up new for under $200 often enough. The only problem is that if you want to sell or trade one you can't get much at all out of it.

However, Taurus has also had some pretty good guns as well. Their basic K Frame(ish) models such as the 66 have given good service over the years. I've had excellent service from several of their Model 85 snubbies (a lot like a S&W M36) in blued, stainless, and Ultra Lights. Although I'm not real hot on their more recent matte finished ones. The older blued were nice looking guns. Pretty much all of the ones I've had I bought used.

I've also never had an issue with a PT92 and found them great shooters. I would have no problem buying a used PT92 or Model 85 if I were in the market for one as I've never had an issue with one. Some of their other models I won't bother with.

Almost forgot. I also had a PT1911 that had a faulty grip safety. The gun would fire with the grip safety not being pressed at all. Not a big fan of that model either.

They get some things right and even some almost very right. They also get some that are great in concept, but poor in execution. The Spectrum has gotten a rep from people who actually had them or tested them for being problematic. Consider though that the expensive Kimber Solo turned out to be a problem child too. I know two different people who paid high dollar for the Solo and they were totally unreliable.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2020, 01:20 AM

I've got a Taurus G2C 9mm and I really like it. Got about 1000 rounds through it and have had no problems at all. It's actually my carry of choice because of its size and capacity. The trigger takes some getting used to but after taking it to the range one time, I got used to it and don't even notice it. And for the money, right at $200, you cant beat it.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:59 AM

I understand that Taurus opened a new facility in Georgia. What are they making there?
Old 01-29-2020, 07:07 AM

Minnow traps.......
Old 01-29-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I guess this is probably a bad time to say that my cheap $250 Rossi .357 revolver also has a fantastic trigger in both DA and SA mode.
At the same time, my friend bought one of the Rossi’s in 94. The damn firing pin kept snapping off. Come to find out that the hammer was bent and was slamming the pin in the hole at an angle. Just sayin’, some good, some bad......I’ll stick with the odds! This was also the same guy that bounced a wad cutter off the side of his truck bed (scoped Rossi) and hit me in the chest. He wasn’t known for making the best decisions.

Last edited by Nitro.45; 01-29-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketshaver View Post
Been through the Taurus bashing online forums for 2 decades now. Still makes me laugh.

Its always funny that when someone says they have a good Taurus that is reliable and accurate, they always get accused of idiocy, drug use, or simply owning ONLY that one gun period. NO ONE ever wants to admit that a lower priced gun that they perceive to be "lesser" then theirs, it tosses the perception of higher cost equals higher quality.

I own a Taurus 357 magnum, it shoots to point of aim with ALL the 158 grain 357 magnum ammunition I have used in it. shoots poi/poa with cast in 38 special and its a freaky fun gun. only complaints is the screw in the cylinder release likes to back out after the 4th cylinder, and the blueing on the cylinder face is pretty much gone.
With all that said, you can not deny their checkered past. The huge recall of a million guns that were deemed unsafe and the ensuing lawsuit didnít help. You can see the reviews. Yes, thousands ďworkĒ, but thousands are pure junk as well. I donít doubt that you have a good one, but the odds for the next guy in line arenít that great!
Old 01-29-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
I had a few hi-point carbines. Not pretty but they work. I'd go hi-point over taurus.
Those are great little budget home defense guns. I can understand someone buying one considering the rest of the market and the price but I will never understand people buying cheap handguns just to save a couple hundred bucks. Value is a gun that you can get 50,000 rounds out of, not the one that costs the lowest.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
SpringerXD put it very well earlier and others have agreed. Itís just like buying cheap anything. You get what you pay for. Why in the world would anyone want to buy a cheap ass gun that is made to contain an explosion right in your hands? Bent hammers, broken triggers, awful finish......címon man.
We had a thread on this way back and someone had picks of the finish on a PT1911 that looked like someone took a grinder to it. This was a new generation and the safety came broken in the box. Pretty accurate accounts of not being able to ďgive one awayĒ. Pawn shop would offer $50. I canít explain Strikers results....they must know he was going to get a couple so they swapped out the internals with a Buckmark! Walk away.....very quickly.......keep going.......
The thing with me wasn't about the price. It was the fact that I loved the design of the gun.

Side note: I said a PT140 above. It was a PT145, a .45 caliber.

Anyway, even now I think Taurus has some really cool designs and that's what prompted me to give them a chance. In the case of the TCP738, I picked it over the LCP because the slide locked back on the last round. The PT145 was/is a slick looking design, in my opinion.

But in both cases, I learned very quickly that I couldn't trust them to go bang when I needed them to.

In an ideal world, the Taurus designers would leave Taurus and go to Springfield, S&W, Glock, or any number of reputable manufacturers with much better quality control.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
After I teach new shooters on a Model 10, I wean them onto the Taurus.
I can almost top that. I just went outside and kicked a little old lady.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:40 PM

Location: Bailed out of The Republic of CT-stupid gun laws live in Maine now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
Pardon my contradictory stance. There is no way in this world, or any other, that a Taurus trigger break will be better than the Smith 19...NONE. if you are comparing rapid double action trigger yanks, well then, have fun with it. BTW, ya lost me at the WWB part and "great shootin". We all know that is crap ammo.
OK, my revolver collection is limited. Ruger SP 101, GP100' a S&W mod 36
Charter arms undercover 38spc . I have recently re- discovered my revolvers and started shooting them again after many years. However in my recent range outings with the few I have the Taurus M66 has the best trigger. I am looking at the Model 19 carry comp and a few other K frames as my next revolver. The best trigger I have ( store tested) recently in the Colt Cobra. Looking to replace my Chief special for carry. The contenders Colt Cobra, S&W Mod 19 Comp carry$$$, maybe 686.
Prefer 3" barrel, good sights &'ok with dedicated 38 special.

Last edited by Liveliner; 01-29-2020 at 03:05 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-29-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
...However, Taurus has also had some pretty good guns as well. Their basic K Frame(ish) models such as the 66 have given good service over the years. I've had excellent service from several of their Model 85 snubbies (a lot like a S&W M36) in blued, stainless, and Ultra Lights. Although I'm not real hot on their more recent matte finished ones. The older blued were nice looking guns. Pretty much all of the ones I've had I bought used...

Are their current/fairly recent Models 66 and 85 good to go? Are the .357 mag versions of those models good to go?

I once fondled their .357 in stainless. The metal seemed lower quality than a S&W or Ruger. I'm not making that up to be annoying.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebutready View Post
Are their current/fairly recent Models 66 and 85 good to go? Are the .357 mag versions of those models good to go?

I once fondled their .357 in stainless. The metal seemed lower quality than a S&W or Ruger. I'm not making that up to be annoying.
Honestly, I'd feel better with their older ones. Some of the older blued .357s have made a good showing. I'm not real fond of most of their newer line of revolvers. Like many makers they seem to have gone with less time spent on finishing the metal then touted it as a non-reflective surface.

I don't have metalurgic research to back it up, but it's generally been that the metal, on the older guns at least, was a bit softer than say a S&W. However, that doesn't mean too soft. Still serviceable, just maybe 40K rounds compared to 50k out of the Smith or Ruger. The round count there is just for analogy, not researched and documented comparisons. Kind of like 4140 is a great ordinance steel. Yet for sustained fire likely use the government requires 4150 barrel steel.

I would suggest find a clean, nice used Smith & Wesson stainless in the comparable frame size. Some of the newer guns are nice, but for the price of a new Taurus M66 you can find a nice used K or L frame S&W or Ruger GP100 for similar or just a little more.

Then again, I'm an old fart who likes my S&Ws without a Hillary Hole and with pinned barrels, and shiney bluing or at least stainless that doesn't look like it came straight out of a mold with no cleanup. So take that into consideration.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 01-29-2020, 04:34 PM

Have a PT 945 that I bought 20 years ago. Still feeds and fires every thing I run through it. Just lucky I guess.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:50 PM

While were at it, we may as well compare the Taurus to this......same difference...
https://forums.1911forum.com/attachm...1&d=1580338148
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2020, 05:26 PM

Model 66 and PT1911

I bought a model 66 back in the mid 80's and had it for about 20 years, not one issue and most of that was a not very well cared for truck gun. Not sure what I traded it for and now wish I didn't, good gun and fun to shoot.

I currently have a PT1911 that I got for cheap as a range toy. Was very surprised at the features on the gun, and it didn't have that giant billboard on the side to boot. No issues at all, runs great and is accurate. Was going to proactively change the thumb safety, but decided to wait to see if it failed. A couple of thousand rounds later it hasn't.

My guess is once Taurus figured out you have to actually maintain the production machinery, quality goes up. Couple of guys I know that are more knowledgeable than I said every one they saw with issues you could see machine markings and such meaning they weren't changing the milling out soon enough. That might explain why one works great and another runs like crap, depends on where in the maintenance cycle they were produced.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Honestly, I'd feel better with their older ones. Some of the older blued .357s have made a good showing. I'm not real fond of most of their newer line of revolvers. Like many makers they seem to have gone with less time spent on finishing the metal then touted it as a non-reflective surface.

I don't have metalurgic research to back it up, but it's generally been that the metal, on the older guns at least, was a bit softer than say a S&W. However, that doesn't mean too soft. Still serviceable, just maybe 40K rounds compared to 50k out of the Smith or Ruger. The round count there is just for analogy, not researched and documented comparisons. Kind of like 4140 is a great ordinance steel. Yet for sustained fire likely use the government requires 4150 barrel steel.

I would suggest find a clean, nice used Smith & Wesson stainless in the comparable frame size. Some of the newer guns are nice, but for the price of a new Taurus M66 you can find a nice used K or L frame S&W or Ruger GP100 for similar or just a little more.

Then again, I'm an old fart who likes my S&Ws without a Hillary Hole and with pinned barrels, and shiney bluing or at least stainless that doesn't look like it came straight out of a mold with no cleanup. So take that into consideration.

Thanks for the post. I doubt the quality of Taurus metal these days is any better than the old days.

I thought the prices of older S&W revolvers have gone up in price. I don't know if a person can get one in really good shape for the cost of a new Taurus 66. I think a person would have better luck finding a Ruger for a reasonable price.

Since Taurus doesn't hold value well, maybe a good possibility is one of their older models.

Yes, that old school bluing is nice. Is the old bluing 400 grit? Anyone? I suppose if a person gets a new S&W, he can get the finish worked on. I don't know if they make forged parts to replace the MIM parts like for 1911 pistols.

I heard the term "hillary hole" used a few times. I guess some of us enthusiasts really dislike her.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:20 PM

I love these Taurus bashing threads. I have had several for decades. Never a problem. Never known anyone who actually owned one who had a problem with one. Lots of people who don't own one claim they are bad, for some reason.

Don't buy one if you don't like them.... More for me.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:37 PM

Taurus makes S&W and Beretta designs under license - they are not “rip offs.” I picked up a PT 1911R for cheap when it got returned. I junked the Taurus mags and picked up Wilson Combats for it. It’s heavy but works fine. It’s not my Gold Cup but it’s not awful.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:54 PM

I own one Tausus. It is a Tracker in .17 hmr. I like the revolver it has a good feel and is fairly accurate. It does have one issue that I have not tried to resolve. The shell casings expand after being fired. They are too snug and are a little hard to eject.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9s View Post
I love these Taurus bashing threads. I have had several for decades. Never a problem. Never known anyone who actually owned one who had a problem with one. Lots of people who don't own one claim they are bad, for some reason...
Having them for decades explains why you never had a problem. IOW, older models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce1911 View Post
Taurus makes S&W and Beretta designs under license - they are not ďrip offs.Ē I picked up a PT 1911R for cheap when it got returned. I junked the Taurus mags and picked up Wilson Combats for it. Itís heavy but works fine. Itís not my Gold Cup but itís not awful.
I didn't know they were made under license. The Taurus revolvers (ex: M85) are the same design as a S&W J-Frame?

Taurus' copy of the Beretta 92 has a better safety. I heard some good things about that Taurus.

I guess your Taurus 1911 is reliable.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
I have three recent vintage Tauri- a Tracker rimfire revolver, a .357 snubbie and a 9mm compact carry.

They are all on par with any other brand in their price range. Darn good guns IMHO. Again just MY take, but their PT111 G2 series is reliable, accurate and likely the most affordable "good" concealed carry handgun on the market today.
I have the same two Taurus guns as RandyP. The PT 738 is over 10 years old and the 357 snubbie is pushing twenty. Both have worked just fine and they are both backpacker guns-so they do not by any means get treated nicely. Neither screws up unless I do. Speaking on a different model I have both a S&W 19 & 66 which are the same gun except finish. The 19 is 10 years older than the 66 but runs smoother than the 66. Both run, just saying. Two corvettes out of the showroom are going to run different.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:33 PM

It seems that Taurus has had their biggest problems with home-grown designs, and generally been at their best when producing licensed products.
The PT92 is my favorite (I have three), and I'm not very eager to try the newer models.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:06 PM

Iím thinking my 7th 1911 might be a Wilson Combat. So Taurus isnít on my radar at all.
Iíve heard things said about Taurus guns, But we all have different wants and desires.

NRA Benefactor Life Member