Taurus handguns - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-27-2020, 08:31 AM

Those who have been 'burned' by ANY brand tend to be a loyal customer of ANY brand other than that one. lol I'm on enough various type forums to acknowledge that EVERYTHING has its detractors and supporters.

Over the past too-many decades I have seen complaints and raves reviews on just about every make/model of firearm out there. The ONLY gun I ever bought that was a total crap jam-o-matic POS was made by this little Italian company called Beretta. You might have heard of them?

Thankfully our 2nd Amendment RIGHT does NOT mandate ownership of any one specific firearm, it recognizes our ability to exercise free choice in the marketplace. I own, shoot and like the Taurus firearms and every other brand shootin' iron I own. Your mileage may (maybe will) vary. And that's OK too.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-27-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Those who have been 'burned' by ANY brand tend to be a loyal customer of ANY brand other than that one. lol I'm on enough various type forums to acknowledge that EVERYTHING has its detractors and supporters.

Over the past too-many decades I have seen complaints and raves reviews on just about every make/model of firearm out there. The ONLY gun I ever bought that was a total crap jam-o-matic POS was made by this little Italian company called Beretta. You might have heard of them?

Thankfully our 2nd Amendment RIGHT does NOT mandate ownership of any one specific firearm, it recognizes our ability to exercise free choice in the marketplace. I own, shoot and like the Taurus firearms and every other brand shootin' iron I own. Your mileage may (maybe will) vary. And that's OK too.
Beretta??? Wasn't that a chevrolet in the 80's
Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 AM

Never owned a Taurus and never will based on close association with those who did own Taurus products. Saw first hand ample examples of failures due to plain ol' poor quality, enough to convince me to avoid the brand.

Add in the years of uneven satisfaction on warranty adjustments reported in any of several firearms forums and one has to ask: "If there's smoke, is there fire?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2020, 09:40 AM

Didn't realize that Taurus had moved to Georgia:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...ring-facility/
Old 01-27-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
This brand seems to have had more than their share of QC issues and recalls. Are their newer guns any better?
Not sure if their guns are any better than prior......but it appears their customer service is still horrid.

That's enough reason for me to steer clear.

Some of the guys here locally have sent recall guns in and had them replaced with guns of different calibers and cheaper models....after having to wait forever.

Others are still waiting forever for word of what is going to be done.

I have no desire for cheaply made guns nor buying from companies with shoddy customer service.

Taurus....I steer clear of due to other's experiences.

Kimber & Para were companies that lost me due to my own personal experiences. Guess I don't have to worry about Para, though, lol. Kimber tuned me off with rude customer service and zero demonstrated desire to resolve anything. They may have improved in this regard....I'll never know. Done with them.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:23 AM

I have a lightly-used,early-model PT92 without the decocker...It shoots better than my Beretta 92FS, or any M9 that I had the pleasure of shooting in the Army...Very reliable and the trigger is much better than what I've experienced with the Beretta's...
I have shot several of their revolvers....Never had an issue...
My next purchase is going to be a TX22...I got to run 2 mags through one, and was impressed! It was a very nice shooter...I read nothing but good about the TX22 in G&A and AR last year...
Old 01-27-2020, 11:28 AM

I have the Taurus version of a lightweight J Frame. Works great, the DA trigger pull is light & easy, and it's done hundreds of rounds reliably.

After I teach new shooters on a Model 10, I wean them onto the Taurus.

I also would not hesitate to carry it, or recommend this model to others.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:29 PM

From what I've gathered, their newer guns such as the G3 and TH9 seem to be generally liked by their owners and somewhat more problem-free than some earlier guns. Long-term durability is something of a question mark, though.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:26 PM

I have a couple revolvers from them. Both 5 shot in 45ACP. The Tracker has been fine. I was very interested in the Totally Titanium one and found one new at a local gun show. Anyway the Titanium one (which does have a SS tube for a barrel and steel lockwork parts). Anyway the Ti one locked up on me when I took it to the range. I am not a revolver smith but did take the side off and there were several pieces of metal in there. Some of them looked like lathe turnings. Anyway I removed them and then it seemed to work fine. Was not impressed dealing with Taurus when I ordered a few more of the 5 round moon clips.

Then, liking 1911s, I was one of the first of my shooty buddies to get a PT1911. The price was great. It looked like one could rub off the finish with your thumb but that was not the case. It had the keylock in the hammer and of course has the Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety. The front of the frame in the grip area is checkered as is the underside the trigger guard. It has a FLGR and an ambi safety. Below at 15 yards.

Anyway I have not had any real problems with mine. I let my shooty buddies shoot it and several of them went out and bought one. Just about all of them had serious issues with them like the ambi thumb safety falling off or major problems with ejection. And I guess Taurus customer support was very not nice to work with.

These days I am very careful when I take that PT1911 out and shoot it as several of my friends still growl at me when they see it.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchrest1 View Post
Their revolvers are a ripoff of S&W.
Quote:
Their revolvers are a ripoff of S&W.

I seem to recall reading that Taurus Brazil bought machinery and tooling FROM S&W years ago? In any event I'm thinking that a 1911 forum is almost the last place to talk smack about 'clones' - LOL
Hypethetically, who cares if is a ripoff of S&W if it is made well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
Not sure if their guns are any better than prior......but it appears their customer service is still horrid.

That's enough reason for me to steer clear.

Some of the guys here locally have sent recall guns in and had them replaced with guns of different calibers and cheaper models....after having to wait forever.

Others are still waiting forever for word of what is going to be done.

I have no desire for cheaply made guns nor buying from companies with shoddy customer service.

Taurus....I steer clear of due to other's experiences.

Kimber & Para were companies that lost me due to my own personal experiences. Guess I don't have to worry about Para, though, lol. Kimber tuned me off with rude customer service and zero demonstrated desire to resolve anything. They may have improved in this regard....I'll never know. Done with them.
Taurus makes a person pay shipping when sending it in for warranty. I'm not sure about the first year of ownership, though.

One fellow sending in his Taurus paid about $90 in shipping for "warranty" servicing.

For a while I've been referring to Kimber and Para as sister companies, even though they have nothing to do with each other.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post
Take the side plate off a toreass revolver. Examine the internals and tell me if you still want to buy one.

Buying a taurus because it is cheaper than a S&W is like drinking a bottle of mezcal and going home with a stripper instead of going home to your wife.

Gonna be a lot of regret and high maintenance in your future.

You know, I did just that. I didn't buy one of them......I bought 3(three) of them, and have owned them for years!!! These revolvers are regular range guns, and have many Ks of rounds through each one. And NO, they have not had to be sent in for repairs.

I also own a Taurus auto in 357Sig, But I have fallen out of love with that caliber, and so it isn't shot much these days.

I own more than a "few" S&W revolvers also, and have owned them for years.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
A long time ago I had a Beretta 950BS .25 auto. That thing would literally shoot itself apart as all the pins kept walking out on it. I sent it back to Beretta, but the issue was still there afterwards so I sold it.

I often like to remind people who love their Toyotas and act like their cars never break down that the dealerships still have service departments for a reason.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 01-27-2020 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Fixed the part where I talked like Yoda
Old 01-27-2020, 10:02 PM

Almost all 1911's are a ripoff of Colt. So what? It matters not.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:04 PM

I have 2 Taurus's a G2s 9mm and Mod 85 38 spl. I have not had a problem with either of them. Reading the horror stories make me wonder. But if something goes wrong with either one, I look at it this way I was warned. So if anything does go wrong I am not going to get upset, I will consider myself lucky that they performed as well as they did for the time I used them.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:11 PM

I have two Taurus revolvers, a model 82 and a model 605. So far no problems.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 01-27-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt191145 View Post

Buying a taurus because it is cheaper than a S&W is like drinking a bottle of mezcal and going home with a stripper instead of going home to your wife.
Been there done that. The 80's were great
Old 01-28-2020, 04:40 AM

I purchased a Taurus m94 22LR 4” revolver for the misses to practice with. It shoots and functions great. I figure having her own gun would keep her interested and educate her in safe gun handling after she took the ccw course.

I don’t usually stray away from colt, ruger, s&w, SA, AO, H&R, CZ firearms. I’m just gun shy with the other brands.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 01-28-2020 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:06 AM

They are what they are, and thank god no one actually tried to compare one to Smith, from which the design was ripped off. The above story of taking off the side cover to discover metal shavings is par for the course. Inspect the slide on the PT...nasty. It is fine to use phrases such as “it works”, “haven’t had any problems”, “didn’t have to send it back yet”, but let’s not get carried away and say such things as “great”, “better than my Smith revolver”, “the PT1911 can hang with a Wilson”. It would be evident at that point that it is the only gun you own. 10 years ago, my buddy quit handling them at his shop. The return rate compared to anything else was tenfold. Customer dissatisfaction was hurting his business. I continue to hear the negative reviews after their “relaunch”. I’m sure some make it through and function fine. I don’t roll dice when I buy a firearm.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
I purchased a Taurus m94 22LR 4” revolver for the misses to practice with. It shoots and functions great. I figure having her own gun would keep her interested and educate her in safe gun handling after she took the ccw course.

I don’t usually stray away from colt, ruger, s&w, SA, AO, H&R, CZ firearms. I’m just gun shy with the other brands.
I'm glad yours worked. Mine was a nightmare. DA pull was off the scale and cocking the hammer to fire SA was not easy. After every cylinder I had to wipe the face off to keep it turning and had lead spitting out the sides. It was a shame because it was a good looking gun with the polished finish and felt good in the hand.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:47 AM

Location: Bailed out of The Republic of CT-stupid gun laws live in Maine now
I shot my late 80's Taurus M66 revolver yesterday and it was a joy to shoot This is a copy of a S&W Model 19. 38/357.I believe S&W was involved with Taurus at that time. The blueing is still excellent on the Taurus and this Taurus has the best trigger of all my revolvers in including Ruger & S&W. Wish I took a picture of my targets & grouping which was great for me 4" @ 10yds single action. Dbl action 6-7". Hit silouette gong at 25yds every shot single action shooting WWB 38 spc. Taurus gets bashed frequently but this was my experience. Never had an issue.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:05 AM

I traded a Hi-Point C9 for a Taurus Model 84 revolver to see it the Taurus bashers were as wrong about Taurus as the Hi-Point bashers were about Hi-Point (I never had any problems). The mid 70s 84 performed great so I bought a new TCP about 6 years ago. After it also worked well, I bought a PT111 G2, then a 605, then a Spectrum and lastly, a 856. If Taurus is so bad, how did I get ones that are good? The newer they are, the better fit and finish they have.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:25 PM

Taurus is hit or miss. Their revolvers have a lot of cylinder slop, and their autos are either work or they don't. The only Taurus I'd buy would be a PT92 (it is probably the handgun with the best reputation in their lineup). At the end of the day, there are too many lightly used Glocks, and S&Ws for very attractive prices for me to consider any new Taurus.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liveliner View Post
I shot my late 80's Taurus M66 revolver yesterday and it was a joy to shoot This is a copy of a S&W Model 19. 38/357.I believe S&W was involved with Taurus at that time. The blueing is still excellent on the Taurus and this Taurus has the best trigger of all my revolvers in including Ruger & S&W. Wish I took a picture of my targets & grouping which was great for me 4" @ 10yds single action. Dbl action 6-7". Hit silouette gong at 25yds every shot single action shooting WWB 38 spc. Taurus gets bashed frequently but this was my experience. Never had an issue.
Pardon my contradictory stance. There is no way in this world, or any other, that a Taurus trigger break will be better than the Smith 19...NONE. if you are comparing rapid double action trigger yanks, well then, have fun with it. BTW, ya lost me at the WWB part and "great shootin". We all know that is crap ammo.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:35 PM
Administrator

I guess this is probably a bad time to say that my cheap $250 Rossi .357 revolver also has a fantastic trigger in both DA and SA mode.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:01 PM

Probably also a bad time to mention my Hi-points work great and are accurate and fast
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland