1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-22-2020, 10:16 PM
Banned

Used Savage

Purchased a used model 111 from a co-worker who was an avid hunter.
During the waiting period I ordered some parts including an upgraded scope and rings.
During the process of aligning the rings I noticed that the front mounting holes were drilled off center.
I measured everything and it seemed the holes were not drilled in the correct location.
Since then I've shipped the rifle (less bolt and stock) off to the right coast.
So, fortunately and unfortunately as the story goes, I was next to an avid Savage enthusiast at the range the other day and I shared my story.
He was convinced that even though I had purchased the rifle second hand, Savage would support the remedy required to make this rifle correct.
Is there anyone on this forum willing to share their experience with manufacturers that stand behind their product as much as this gentlemen claims Savage stands behind theirs?
Old 01-22-2020, 11:24 PM

I have a Springfield SS Trophy 1911 in .45 ACP.

I bought it from a Range Buddy.

At about the 40,000 round mark, I noticed a problem with the hammer following the slide forward.

So I called Springfield. Penne B emailed me a FedEx Shipping Label. I took it to Fedex, they shipped it to Springfield. Springfield replaced the hammer, sear and sear spring, then shipped it back to me.

No Charge.

I also have SigSauer 1911 .22. The firing pin broke. I had to pay to ship it to Sig, but they fixed it free of charge and shipped it back to me.

So there is still some good Customer Service out there.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:07 AM

Wilson Combat will stand behind their product as long as no one has worked on it.

I bought a used stainless Springfield Champion that shot a foot low at 10 yards. I called them and they said no problem, since it was untouched, they would be happy to take care of it. I traded it off instead but they fixed it for the guy I sold it to.

Kel-Tec fixed a trigger on a used p32 I bought and threw in a free extra magazine

NAA fixed a 22lr revolver I got used. Cylinder would bind up on rotation. No charge to repair
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAW View Post
Purchased a used model 111 from a co-worker who was an avid hunter.
During the waiting period I ordered some parts including an upgraded scope and rings.
During the process of aligning the rings I noticed that the front mounting holes were drilled off center.
I measured everything and it seemed the holes were not drilled in the correct location.
Since then I've shipped the rifle (less bolt and stock) off to the right coast.
So, fortunately and unfortunately as the story goes, I was next to an avid Savage enthusiast at the range the other day and I shared my story.
He was convinced that even though I had purchased the rifle second hand, Savage would support the remedy required to make this rifle correct.
Is there anyone on this forum willing to share their experience with manufacturers that stand behind their product as much as this gentlemen claims Savage stands behind theirs?
Can’t answer you Savage CS question, but just for my memory bank, where are you? Just curious if there is a new commie hotbed that I need to avoid that makes you “wait” for a rifle....
Old 01-23-2020, 07:16 AM

Since he referred to the "right coast" I will assume that he is on the "Left Coast", aka California. Which as a 10 day wait for all guns.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:01 AM

Yeah, I was just waiting for him to say it!!
I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that you cant walk into the neighborhood hardware store, grab a shotgun off the shelf and be bird hunting within an hour. Wait a minute.....yes I can!
Old 01-23-2020, 11:50 AM
Banned

California
Old 01-23-2020, 12:56 PM

Sorry Dood…..let me know if you need anything smuggled in...….
Old 01-23-2020, 09:47 PM

I've sent a number of guns back to the mother ship (S&W). Two of them were used guns. One a 625-2, the other a 64-5. The model 64 was obviously a used gun, as it was stamped Detroit Police on the back strap. They repaired both, and sent them back without charge.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 01-23-2020, 10:58 PM
Administrator

In the last five or six years I've had issues with a half a dozen new firearms:

1. Colt Series 70, bad bluing on the slide stop. Colt sent me a new part free of charge. Unfortunately the rep who helped me was canned a few months later.

2. CZ 1911A1, bad thumb safety. Instead of replacing the part CZ crudely repaired it by peening it. Months of effort to get them to actually REPLACE the bad part went nowhere, and eventually I bought a take-off part from a fellow forum member.

3. Pair of Taurus G2 Milleniums, extraction issues. Took four months to get them back, and all it was were bad extractor springs. Taurus will not sell spare parts to consumers so I can't buy more springs from them if it happens again.

4. Taylor & Co. 1866 rifle, receiver defect. Taylor agreed it wasn't repairable so they sent me a whole new rifle.

5. SCCY CPX-2, cracked grip frame. SCCY replaced the frame and upgraded the trigger and had the gun back to me in only nine days.

It's important to understand however that not everyone will have the same experience. So much depends on your actual issue and who you actually get in touch with. For example Ruger's customer service is supposed to be top-notch, yet the one time I had an issue (with a new 10/22 apparently damaged at the factory) they refused to help me.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:31 AM

Then again, examples such as Taurus and other “economy” weapons do not surprise me when I experience bad service. It’s almost like the CS reps are saying “you got what you paid for dummy”. Companies such as the Taylor example, Wilson and others have a tendency to make it right while treating you decently.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 AM

I bought a new charter arms bulldog. Went shooting the first day with some of my dads reloads. Blew the top off it. Called Charter, told the the truth. They replaced it free of charge including shipping.

I mixed up WW 296 and WW 748 in a pretty new Remington 700 VL in 22-250. I sent them a letter and the gun. After pulling bullets and figuring, I realized what I did. I sent another letter explaining exactly what I had done. Gun was fixed and shipped back free "Due to good will" It was around Christmas.

David
Old 01-24-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
In the last five or six years I've had issues with a half a dozen new firearms:

1. Colt Series 70, bad bluing on the slide stop. Colt sent me a new part free of charge. Unfortunately the rep who helped me was canned a few months later.

2. CZ 1911A1, bad thumb safety. Instead of replacing the part CZ crudely repaired it by peening it. Months of effort to get them to actually REPLACE the bad part went nowhere, and eventually I bought a take-off part from a fellow forum member.

3. Pair of Taurus G2 Milleniums, extraction issues. Took four months to get them back, and all it was were bad extractor springs. Taurus will not sell spare parts to consumers so I can't buy more springs from them if it happens again.

4. Taylor & Co. 1866 rifle, receiver defect. Taylor agreed it wasn't repairable so they sent me a whole new rifle.

5. SCCY CPX-2, cracked grip frame. SCCY replaced the frame and upgraded the trigger and had the gun back to me in only nine days.

It's important to understand however that not everyone will have the same experience. So much depends on your actual issue and who you actually get in touch with. For example Ruger's customer service is supposed to be top-notch, yet the one time I had an issue (with a new 10/22 apparently damaged at the factory) they refused to help me.
I thought about mentioning Colt. Brent helped me two different times. The first time I was sent a new pair of grips and a magazine. The second left a bad taste in my mouth and cooled my Colt buying until the 2020 Python.

I sent my new Delta back because it had several issues. The major being how hard it was to engage the safety. It required way more force than needed, and would make the hammer move. The second issue was the slide stop being near impossible to remove without using a pry tool, and installing without using a hammer. The last was a jagged burr on the feed ramp.

They fixed the issues but sent my brand new gun back to me with a huge idiot mark on the frame. Luckily I knew how to match the finish and was able to polish it out. To say it angered me would be an understatement.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 01-24-2020, 10:50 PM
Administrator

I feel your pain. A long time ago I sent a Kimber in for warranty work, and not only did they not solve the problem they managed to put a nice mark on the slide for my trouble. It's like taking a car in for service and finding out they got grease on the car seat or there's a fresh door ding on it.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:25 AM

duplicate
Old 01-25-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_root2000 View Post
I bought a new charter arms bulldog. Went shooting the first day with some of my dads reloads. Blew the top off it. Called Charter, told the the truth. They replaced it free of charge including shipping.

I mixed up WW 296 and WW 748 in a pretty new Remington 700 VL in 22-250. I sent them a letter and the gun. After pulling bullets and figuring, I realized what I did. I sent another letter explaining exactly what I had done. Gun was fixed and shipped back free "Due to good will" It was around Christmas.

David
Sounds like dad mixed up a few powders in his day too!