Strange feature on Kimber bull barrel lug - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-12-2020, 04:23 PM

Hi, I have a Kimber Classic Carry Pro that I bought new, though I think the vendor had it in n stock for a while. I have had no problems with it and it is running well and very accurate. The only thing I had to do was adjust sights slightly, which were off from the factory (that was quite difficult even with a sight pusher). It is also a very pretty gun. I had run at most a couple of thousand rounds through it since beginning of September when I bought it. Today I just field stripped it after a range trip and decided to have a close look at everything, not because there was anything wrong, just I thought it a good idea. The barrel lug seemed fine from where it meets the frame, but then I noticed something like a jagged like on the side facing the muzzle and took a close-up picture of it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	571910
It does not seem like what I would expect a crack to look like, more like a deep jagged scratch, really hard to say and there is a bit of a dent in the side from perhaps when they fitted the barrel link pin at the factory
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	571908
Was hoping someone on the forum may know. I also sent pictures to customer service at Kimber, but figured they may not answer for a while.

(Sorry pictures in the text are in opposite order)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by SIGAddict; 01-12-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:35 PM

Hard to tell, but the "scratch/crack doesn't appear to show on the side.

What I do see is barrel bump on the front of this lug where it is hitting the slide stop pin when returning to battery. This can be addressed by filing/stoning the curvature so the link is slightly higher at this point so it will start the barrels rise. A very common problem with Kimber, that only develops after several hundred rounds and will cause stoppages when fully developed.

LOG

Old 01-12-2020, 04:43 PM

Thanks LOG. Are you referring to the shinny areas in the lower front of the lug just below the bottom of the feature I was asking about?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGAddict View Post
Thanks LOG. Are you referring to the shinny areas in the lower front of the lug just below the bottom of the feature I was asking about?

Yes, it actually shows on both, but more heavily on the left side.

LOG

Old 01-12-2020, 05:35 PM

While the crack, or whatever it is, does not show on the outside, it does look to start from the inside of the lug. Looking closer at the straight on photo, it seems to start on the inside corner at the junction with the barrel.

Might warrant at least a call to Kimber. While you could drift the link pin out to get a good look at the inside of the lug, I think that might just finish it off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorikid View Post
While the crack, or whatever it is, does not show on the outside, it does look to start from the inside of the lug. Looking closer at the straight on photo, it seems to start on the inside corner at the junction with the barrel.

Might warrant at least a call to Kimber. While you could drift the link pin out to get a good look at the inside of the lug, I think that might just finish it off.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
So your comment made me wonder and after a few attempts I got the attached picture. The weird feature does not seem to go inside the slot, rather it starts on the corner of the lug a millimeter or more from where it meets the barrel.
Attached Thumbnails
FDF47885-E26C-4980-83FF-26E0F6CB2790_1578873636331.jpeg  

Last edited by SIGAddict; 01-12-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:44 PM

Here is my Dan Wesson barrel bump. The gun is approaching 9000 rounds and has been reliable for the past several thousand rounds.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post
Here is my Dan Wesson barrel bump. The gun is approaching 9000 rounds and has been reliable for the past several thousand rounds.

It may not get worse if it is to the point of the link being at the same point. It will run smoother by simply and carefully removing the high sides on each side of the dent and smooth out the profile.

LOG

Old 01-12-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradd D View Post

The one on my Kimber is barely noticeable by finger nail

Last edited by SIGAddict; 01-12-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
It may not get worse if it is to the point of the link being at the same point. It will run smoother by simply and carefully removing the high sides on each side of the dent and smooth out the profile.

LOG
Oh, it's very smooth now. It used to kachunk when I first got it. I think it just made it's own clearance. This is before I knew what barrel bump was.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:53 PM

The line on your barrel looks a lot like someone run a engraving pen over it.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 01-12-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
The line on your barrel looks a lot like someone run a engraving pen over it.

It kind of does, though that would be an odd place for an engraving...

Old 01-12-2020, 10:16 PM

Send a picture to Kimber and see what they say.
Does not look right for any quality pistol.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGAddict View Post
It kind of does, though that would be an odd place for an engraving...

I have found them before in odd places. Not like a line like that, but the last few numbers of the serial. Oddest was on the back of the mainspring housing.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 01-14-2020, 08:12 AM

Almost looks like weld to me.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
Send a picture to Kimber and see what they say.
Does not look right for any quality pistol.
They want me to send the whole gun in. It’s been very reliable, hopefully they will not screw it up.