1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-30-2019, 09:05 AM

Integrated laser on CCW pistol??

Gents,
I'm in the market for a new CCW pistol. I'm blessed (or cursed when I'm trying to gain muscle) with the "skinny gene" so I need something fairly small. I do like the feel of the M&P Shield and it got me wondering about the integrated lasers. I was curious what pros/cons others could come up with about the laser. I've never used a laser on a weapon, how useful would it really be on a CCW?
Old 08-30-2019, 12:22 PM

The benefits to a laser sight as I see them:

1) You can hold your weapon below your line of sight, keep your eyes on the assailant's hands (the hands will kill you so watch them), and because the laser dot is on the assailant, "know" where you are aiming.

2) In a home defense situation, where cover may require using the weapon with the weak hand and may make obtaining a good sight picture nearly impossible with out undue exposure, the laser sight enables knowing where you are aiming if you only have one eye and the gun around the corner.

3) There is a chance that the laser dot will adjust the expectations of the assailant downward to the point that he/she retreats and ends the assault or home invasion with out a shot being fired. It is only a chance, there isn't any reliable data on it other than some anecdotal evidence, but it is better than not having that possibility.

4) If some one is coming at you and continues even after seeing the laser dot projected on their body, that is about as good an indicator of their intentions to inflict death or grave bodily injury as you will ever get - commence fire!

I have a LaserMAX in my Glock 19 HD gun, and CT grips on my wife's 686 HD gun. My carry gun, a PPK/S doesn't have a laser. My wife's carry gun, if she decides she wants one, will have it because it will be a short barrel DA revolver. When firing those little guns double action, they are easier to make COM hits with when using a laser.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:23 PM

The benefits to a laser sight as I see them:

1) You can hold your weapon below your line of sight, keep your eyes on the assailant's hands (the hands will kill you so watch them), and because the laser dot is on the assailant, "know" where you are aiming.

2) In a home defense situation, where cover may require using the weapon with the weak hand and may make obtaining a good sight picture nearly impossible with out undue exposure, the laser sight enables knowing where you are aiming if you only have one eye and the gun around the corner.

3) There is a chance that the laser dot will adjust the expectations of the assailant downward to the point that he/she retreats and ends the assault or home invasion with out a shot being fired. It is only a chance, there isn't any reliable data on it other than some anecdotal evidence, but it is better than not having that possibility.

4) If some one is coming at you and continues even after seeing the laser dot projected on their body, that is about as good an indicator of their intentions to inflict death or grave bodily injury as you will ever get - commence fire!

I have a LaserMAX in my Glock 19 HD gun, and CT grips on my wife's 686 HD gun. My carry gun, a PPK/S doesn't have a laser. My wife's carry gun, if she decides she wants one, will have it because it will be a short barrel DA revolver. When firing those little guns double action, they are easier to make COM hits with when using a laser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 01:28 PM

I have ct laser grips on 3 guns. I love them . Bought my wife a Kimber Micro carry with CT laser grips, she is good with it. I use them shooting steel bowling pins. They work better On a cloudy evening.

Practice a lot!

David
Old 08-30-2019, 11:05 PM

Before you buy ANY subcompact, go rent and shoot the exact model you're considering. Many of them can be pretty unpleasant to shoot...even in 9mm. 30 minutes on the range will tell you if the gun is worth getting. And it will be fun.

As for lasers in general, I'm a fan. They are another tool in the arsenal, not a replacement for iron sights. You still need irons. And you still need to practice with irons. Because electronics can fail.

2AMister got most of the pluses for lasers. I would add that a laser allows you to keep your focus on the threat instead of on your front sight post. They can also be great for aging eyes. They may not, however, always be as fast as irons and they may not be useful in bright sunlight.

As for whether or not to get an integrated laser, if you're ok with how it physically changes the gun, then buy away. But make absolutely sure you can find a holster for what you're considering buying BEFORE you buy it. Sometimes finding a holster can be tough.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:35 AM

I have lasers on all of my self defense guns. They are a useful tool.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:39 AM

I bought lasers for my carry guns years ago. I found myself looking for the laser dot instead of the sights when I practiced. I sold them. I prefer night-sights on my carry guns.

US Army, Retired
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 09-05-2019, 02:11 AM

They are a worthwhile item to have but use your sites when you go to the range. The are back up not primary. Practice accordingly.

Strongly consider a green laser, much brighter.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:13 PM

Lasers

Just joined this forum and my company builds very good lasers