Well who would have considered it? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-27-2019, 09:25 PM

Well who would have considered it?

That armed citizens could be called up in support of law enforcement.

I feel for the good citizens of California, I really do. How they have descended down this path is really troubling on a number of levels. If you are willing to watch this dated film you will note the clear reference to armed citizens mobilizing to support law enforcement. All that I can say is, what happened?
Old 12-27-2019, 09:59 PM
Administrator

For those of us not well-versed in the ways of the Force, do you mind telling us what movie you're referring to?
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:35 PM

I can not help you as far as the force is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
For those of us not well-versed in the ways of the Force, do you mind telling us what movie you're referring to?
But I did attempt to attach a link to a video from YouTube recounting an episode from Dragnet. In which they clearly state that they had bolstered their forces with local militia personnel. Apparently my link did not act as intended. Subsequently I have been attempting to retrieve it once again. As of now I have not been able to do this. However I will find it sooner or later, and will of course post it.

Actually I did find it Dana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrf8fet4q8k

Last edited by USMM guy; 12-27-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2019, 11:38 PM

Here is the first part where they mention private citizens helping out.

https://youtu.be/hrf8fet4q8k?t=889

So far down a path of self-destruction CA has gone. From citizen who augment police in severe cases to laws that say people don't have to help the police when the police ask them. Sad.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 12-28-2019, 11:10 AM
Administrator

What bothers me more are movies where civilians can't be trusted with guns even when they're helping out law enforcement. Like Die Hard 3 where Samuel L. Jackson had to chase machine gun-wielding bad guys throughout NYC with Bruce Willis, yet he wasn't allowed to be armed until the last moment (and he wasn't even properly shown how to use it). In every action movie the protagonist is a cop, an off-duty cop, an ex-cop or a cop outside his jurisdiction. Never a licensed, trained civilian. Just furthering the public notion that only cops or military guys can carry guns, and that anyone who isn't one must be either the bad guy or some idiot getting in the way.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:52 AM

Ah yes Dragnet, which in radio form gave us the sad tale of the kid who shot his friend with a .22 rifle intended as a Christmas gift. Probably the earliest example of leftist brainwash I can think of. Guns are Bad, hurr durrrr!

Sorry, I have a very dim view of police procedurals from Dragnet all teh way down to Law and Order.

Once I twigged on a few L&O episodes making certain countercultures I'm familiar with as being ravaging murderous lunatics, I just unplugged from *all* pop culture, and this was back in the late 90's when it hit me like a bolt of lightning that they're manipulating public opinion with those shows.
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 12-28-2019, 11:56 AM

Yes I guess that a set of circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
Ah yes Dragnet, which in radio form gave us the sad tale of the kid who shot his friend with a .22 rifle intended as a Christmas gift. Probably the earliest example of leftist brainwash I can think of. Guns are Bad, hurr durrrr!

Sorry, I have a very dim view of police procedurals from Dragnet all teh way down to Law and Order.

Once I twigged on a few L&O episodes making certain countercultures I'm familiar with as being ravaging murderous lunatics, I just unplugged from *all* pop culture, and this was back in the late 90's when it hit me like a bolt of lightning that they're manipulating public opinion with those shows.
Where one kid shoots another. That it is just completely removed from reality. And has never been known to actually happen in real life.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
he public notion that only cops or military guys can carry guns, and that anyone who isn't one must be either the bad guy or some idiot getting in the way.
You're right. Fortunately for me, I'm usually considered one of the idiots rather than the bad guy.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:52 PM

In some of our more remote California counties, law enforcement response time is 3 to 4 hours. The authorities will call neighbors to do welfare checks on 911 calls.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/californ...230045209.html

So, people do help out law enforcement and sometimes the result isn't pretty. Pot growers and people who prey on pot growers are present in those remote counties. I wouldn't help out law enforcement by myself and I would not just be carrying a pistol.

California's remote counties have low tax bases and hardly any law enforcement. Really a recipe for disaster or for a lot of bodies never to be found.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:48 PM

BTW, I recall a Dragnet (the revived one from the late 1960's with Jack Webb and Harry Morgan) wherein Webb and his partner are taking a crime report from a couple and the husband mentions that he ought to have a gun for protection in the home. Webb and Morgan say something like "it only takes a minute to call the police for help".

The man was not a Second Amendment advocate.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope135 View Post
BTW, I recall a Dragnet (the revived one from the late 1960's with Jack Webb and Harry Morgan) wherein Webb and his partner are taking a crime report from a couple and the husband mentions that he ought to have a gun for protection in the home. Webb and Morgan say something like "it only takes a minute to call the police for help".

The man was not a Second Amendment advocate.
There was one episode I remember where Friday was working the front desk and some guy walks up and wants a gun permit. Friday asks what for? The guy then says to protect himself from 'them' and points upwards (IIRC) and says the aliens. Then Joe Friday nods nope.

Funny how the gun permitting process in California was so well wrapped up in a TV show 50-60 years ago in a 30 second scene where the sole discretion of a "May Issue" permit was up to the Sargent at the front desk.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:28 PM

It's not just California, PolymerMan. My daughter in Massachusetts cannot get the local sheriff's approval for a gun permit, because "Enough people in Newton have guns already." That's the only answer she can get from him. Notice I said 'him'. Issuance is based on one person's approval in the state.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
There was one episode I remember where Friday was working the front desk and some guy walks up and wants a gun permit. Friday asks what for? The guy then says to protect himself from 'them' and points upwards (IIRC) and says the aliens. Then Joe Friday nods nope.

Funny how the gun permitting process in California was so well wrapped up in a TV show 50-60 years ago in a 30 second scene where the sole discretion of a "May Issue" permit was up to the Sargent at the front desk.
How many times have we seen in a movie where somebody finds a gun and asks the owner "do you have a permit for this?". Even when the movie takes place in some rural town. Ditto for news outlets who often state "the homeowner shot the suspect with his legally registered pistol...". This is a major reason why a large percentage of the general public believes that legal guns are all registered in this country, and how they're often shocked when you tell them that no, none of your guns are registered nor is it required.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:59 PM

No idea what dragnet is. Not too surprising, the only tv I watch anymore is Tucker Carlson. Love that guy.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Speaking of the Devil...

Here we go with a fresh news article. A hunter encounters a mountain lion and is forced to use his 9mm sidearm to defend himself. The news article is heavy on the fact that he is a "military law enforcement officer". I guess if he was just a normal civilian NRA member he'd have considered been too stupid and inept to effectively defend himself with a pistol.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...ion/ar-BBYp10k

Quote:
A pheasant hunter in North Dakota relied on his law enforcement instincts when a mountain lion emerged from the tall grass and charged him.
Quote:
"My instincts as a military law enforcement officer took over. There was no thought process. It was self-defense."
Old 12-28-2019, 06:40 PM

Yep. I do recall that overall Dragnet wasn't gun owner friendly. I also recall ol Jack doing that flip the cylinder closed a few times or more. Total cringe worthy moment.

Regarding that military law enforcement instincts. Seems nobody can do real journalism anymore. They have to toss in some oh wow kind of hook that makes no sense to an informed person, but I guess they think it dramatizes the situation more. The same nonsense with scripted reality shows.

I didn't go to Basic Training until I was 24 and active duty at 26. I had a firearm at home before that and knew how to use it. I generally insisted on sitting in a back corner or at least somewhere with my back to the wall and an eye on the door and view of the room. I got out of the Army in 94. I would be talking about some concept or way of doing things with my Dad or we would be out shooting and he would ask me, "Did they teach you that in the Army?" I'd reply, "Nope. I learned it on my own or from people I was around. They didn't learn it from the Army either."

Some of the dumbest people around firearms and knives I've come across were either active, or former military. Same for some LE.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 12-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Some of the dumbest people around firearms and knives I've come across were either active, or former military. Same for some LE.
No offense to vets and LEOs, but we all know exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately among the general public it is assumed that being LE/military makes you an expert on firearms, while being an ordinary civilian means you're not. This is why there are so many people out there opposed to private citizens carrying guns in public, not realizing that many of us are better and safer at gun handling than some LEOs.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiesaun View Post
No idea what dragnet is. Not too surprising, the only tv I watch anymore is Tucker Carlson. Love that guy.
You're showing your youth, Dragnet ran on TV from 1951 to 1959.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2019, 07:47 PM

A lot of assumptions being made here.

The word that I got was that Jack Webb was actually a pretty pro gun guy. This may not necessarily be reflected in some of the episodes. But hey anybody that attaches much attention to television. Well they are generally morons anyway.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
The word that I got was that Jack Webb was actually a pretty pro gun guy. This may not necessarily be reflected in some of the episodes. But hey anybody that attaches much attention to television. Well they are generally morons anyway.
But don’t ya know, ASSumptions are more fun?😂

So you’re saying that because I saw it on tv, it might not be true?😉
Old 12-28-2019, 08:23 PM

Now I'm confused. I heard John Fogerty sing "I know it's true, cause I saw it on TV."
Old 12-28-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
A hunter encounters a mountain lion and is forced to use his 9mm sidearm to defend himself.
From the article: "I dropped my dad's 100-year-old double-barrel [shotgun], I don't even remember doing that, and went for the sidearm that I carry with me underneath my jacket," Gorney told the Minot Daily News. "My instincts as a military law enforcement officer took over. There was no thought process. It was self-defense."

A mountain lion 10' away and the guy drops his shotgun to resort to a 9x19? At that range the shotgun is way more effective than a 9x19 handgun.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec View Post
Quote:
A hunter encounters a mountain lion and is forced to use his 9mm sidearm to defend himself.
From the article: "I dropped my dad's 100-year-old double-barrel [shotgun], I don't even remember doing that, and went for the sidearm that I carry with me underneath my jacket," Gorney told the Minot Daily News. "My instincts as a military law enforcement officer took over. There was no thought process. It was self-defense."

A mountain lion 10' away and the guy drops his shotgun to resort to a 9x19? At that range the shotgun is way more effective than a 9x19 handgun.
I read that the other day. It’s either BS, or he’s not terribly bright.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
No offense to vets and LEOs, but we all know exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately among the general public it is assumed that being LE/military makes you an expert on firearms, while being an ordinary civilian means you're not. This is why there are so many people out there opposed to private citizens carrying guns in public, not realizing that many of us are better and safer at gun handling than some LEOs.
Too many LEOs aren't that enthusiastic about firearms and shooting, but this is nothing new. There used to be a joke about a .38 cal/9mm pencil when we'd bring in our targets for scoring after shooting for qualification.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:16 PM

It cracks me up though.

That when the good guys get wounded. Their support people think that bringing them cartons of cigarettes is really helping them out. How times change. Hard to believe that they would actually let people smoke in hospitals.