Got a safe - ammo suprise - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-15-2019, 05:30 PM

Got a safe - ammo suprise

The wife got me a "24" gun Winchester safe - which is really a home security cabinet with a modest fire rating. Better than what I had.

So I started transplanting all the stuff in the house to the safe. 6 long guns, handguns, some assorted holsters/ mag holders, mags etc. I kept a large sterlite container in the garage with various ammo for years. In digging through the container it was surprising as to all the stuff I had that I forgot about. Buried therein was two hundred rounds of .270 win (some nice Hornady stuff) 500 round bricks of 22 LR that I grabbed before it was becoming scarce, and piles of other stuff I forgot existed. Kind of an ammo time capsule.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman33 View Post
The wife got me a "24" gun Winchester safe - which is really a home security cabinet with a modest fire rating. Better than what I had.

So I started transplanting all the stuff in the house to the safe. 6 long guns, handguns, some assorted holsters/ mag holders, mags etc. I kept a large sterlite container in the garage with various ammo for years. In digging through the container it was surprising as to all the stuff I had that I forgot about.
Nice, after finding all that was it large enough to hold it all?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2019, 06:35 PM

There’s no room in my safe for ammunition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019, 02:37 PM

I have 4 safes. Big ones.....i have no room for holsters ammo or any other accessories, nor do i see the need to put that stuff in a safe.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:09 PM

He won't have any room in his for ammo and stuff either as time goes by.
Tomcatt
COTEP #022
Old 12-25-2019, 10:05 AM

Buy a gun safe and you will fill it with guns; doesn't matter how big or how small, it will get filled.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:52 PM

I am in the minority.....but all my guns and ammo fit in my safe. If t safe gets too small, I sell stuff that I don’t use.

It’s this same approach to life that will allow me to retire in a couple years 15 years earlier than most people 🙂
Old 12-26-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
I am in the minority.....but all my guns and ammo fit in my safe. If t safe gets too small, I sell stuff that I donít use.

Itís this same approach to life that will allow me to retire in a couple years 15 years earlier than most people 🙂
Yes, but why put your ammo in the same safe with your guns?

Not sure what temperature it would take to start a cook off but still thinking it best to store ammo seperately.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:13 PM

Never store ammo in a safe. In case of fire, you have created a bomb
Old 12-26-2019, 11:48 PM

It’s a good point. But I might add that every gun safe picture from an advertisement I have ever seen shows boxes of ammo stored in gun safes. I guess you have to decide which risks makes the most sense. In my house, the ammo has to all be locked up. Is it the best idea? Humm. But it not the worst one either.

I suppose it might be better to leave the ammo out or in ammo cans that are not under pressure.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
I have 4 safes. Big ones.....i have no room for holsters ammo or any other accessories, nor do i see the need to put that stuff in a safe.
You would if you bought enough of them (guns, safes, ammo, & accessories) and lived near drug dealing & using thieves. Glad for you that you don't have to have the experience or live in that world.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tactical View Post
Yea, agree. But then, guns aren't any good without ammo. If I collect ammo, it's mainly for SHTF and some practice and targeting, not because I can have the time to drive out of town and shoot hundreds of rounds everyday. I don't need anyone stealing my ammo either. Anything you can keep from smash and grab thieves the better. They may take the time to break into a cheap safe, they may not. It may even keep them from stealing other things before police arrive. Your house may go up in flames and you might lose everything, it might not. Everything in life is a trade off of what you think your current situation is.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
It’s a good point. But I might add that every gun safe picture from an advertisement I have ever seen shows boxes of ammo stored in gun safes. I guess you have to decide which risks makes the most sense. In my house, the ammo has to all be locked up. Is it the best idea? Humm. But it not the worst one either.

I suppose it might be better to leave the ammo out or in ammo cans that are not under pressure.
Yes, and who's to say if stored in a fire safe around an exterior wall (many definitions of this, a neighbor of mine has firebrick high end vault type stuff, or there are cheap security containers with fire padding) that the ammo might not be less of a bomb than if you left it in boxes in a closet in the interior of a home where the heat of the fire will be much hotter and the ammo will surely get cooked? Pressure can build up anywhere and no protection equals more heat regardless.

Last edited by PsychoSword; 12-28-2019 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSword View Post
You would if you bought enough of them (guns, safes, ammo, & accessories) and lived near drug dealing & using thieves. Glad for you that you don't have to have the experience or live in that world.
Glad I don't.

But I think I would at least try to do so in a separate security container or safe. Something maybe even located in a different room than my gun safe.

Currently I don't have what I consider to be much but I have started to think it might be best if it were locked up somewhere but don't wish to do so in my gun safe.

Just trying to get an idea what others do and why.

Last edited by Dddrees; 12-28-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
Glad I don't.

But I think I would at least try to do so in a separate security container or safe. Something maybe even located in a different room than my gun safe.

Currently I don't have what I consider to be much but I have started to think it might be best if it were locked up somewhere but don't wish to do so in my gun safe.

Just trying to get an idea what others do and why.
Here is my choice for ammo storage.

https://www.amazon.com/Durham-Counte...%2C217&sr=1-61

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccssid View Post
Here is my choice for ammo storage.

https://www.amazon.com/Durham-Counte...%2C217&sr=1-61

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I've seen more costly options but this seems much more reasonable.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 12-28-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
I've seen more costly options but this seems much more reasonable.

Thanks,

Dan
you're welcome. they make these cabinets in multiple sizes.

Sid
Old 12-28-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccssid View Post
you're welcome. they make these cabinets in multiple sizes.

Sid

Thanks again, IĒll have to give them a good look.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Tactical View Post
That's complete nonsense.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
There’s no room in my safe for ammunition.
No room for holsters, ammo, accessories for me either. I have a heavy wood cabinet for reloading supplies & ammo.

I definitely would not store bulk smokeless powders & primers in a fire safe though. Loaded ammo possibly, but never bulk reloading supplies.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 12-29-2019, 10:54 AM

https://saami.org/publications-advis...-fire-service/
Old 02-01-2020, 10:44 PM

I myself try to keep all ammo and firearms locked up together. My thinking is if there is a fire I'll take a total loss but I would rather have ammo go off in the safe then outside the safe. And as far as someone stealing my guns or ammo I would be concerned that my ammo or gun be used to harm someone.
What if your ammo is used in a crime and someone got shot? When you could have saved a life by just locking up your ammo.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:25 PM

Congratulations on getting a safe. Any safe, whether heavy or light, is better than no safe. Your stuff will be safer and you will worry less when you are away from home.

Give some serious thoughts to making it even more secure. Put it someplace out of sight, bolt it down, ect.

I would not be too concerned with putting ammo in a safe. However I would not store powder in one.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:40 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantar5 View Post
Thereís no room in my safe for ammunition.

Yep. That's what 40mm cans (plural) are for.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:04 PM

Your wife is free to speak to my wife about getting me a 36 rifle safe...

Congratulations, very nice!