Got my CMP 1911 today - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-15-2019, 03:44 PM

Got my CMP 1911 today

I picked it up today. I'm sorry to say that I'm a bit disappointed. After seeing the pictures of the beautiful fresh from the arsenal rebuilds other people got, mine looks like it fell out of some weary G.I.'s holster.
Just proves that not all of the CMP 1911s are perfect. Some have been well used.
Its a 1942 Colt frame with an Ithaca slide.
Finish is about 80% with some noticeable wear and scratches. Yeah, it has an idiot scratch too. The #1 is painted on the grips.However the bore is perfect. So while it has seen some serious use, its seems to have been well taken care of.
While it is a mix master, I noticed that there are no arsenal rebuild marks on it. I wonder if there's any significance to that?
Oh well, Its worth what I paid and I could probably sell it tomorrow for a profit. But I'm gonna keep it.
What with the weather and my current schedule, I have no idea when I'll get it shoot it. But don't worry, I will.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:56 PM

What grade did you order? That's a nice looking honest 1911A1 IMHO. I'd rather have that than a fresh reparked one.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:29 PM

I like it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 06:42 PM

Its a service grade. At least that what they called it.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBurn View Post
What grade did you order? That's a nice looking honest 1911A1 IMHO. I'd rather have that than a fresh reparked one.
You can't order one , you get what they give you at this point in their game.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox54 View Post
I picked it up today. I'm sorry to say that I'm a bit disappointed. After seeing the pictures of the beautiful fresh from the arsenal rebuilds other people got, mine looks like it fell out of some weary G.I.'s holster.

Just proves that not all of the CMP 1911s are perfect. Some have been well used.

Finish is about 80% with some noticeable wear and scratches. Yeah, it has an idiot scratch too. The #1 is painted on the grips.However the bore is perfect. So while it has seen some serious use, its seems to have been well taken care of.

While it is a mix master, I noticed that there are no arsenal rebuild marks on it. I wonder if there's any significance to that?

Oh well, Its worth what I paid and I could probably sell it tomorrow for a profit. But I'm gonna keep it.

What with the weather and my current schedule, I have no idea when I'll get it shoot it. But don't worry, I will.

Sad to hear you are disappointed, me I'd rather have one like that than a refinished mixmaster even with CMP papers.

Also there is no such thing as an idiot scratch on a USGI pistol, solider was taught to assemble it like that , they didn't care what some uptight collector was going to think 40 plus years later .

Old 11-15-2019, 08:13 PM

That's a great 1911 I'd be happy to have it in my collection. It's seen some real history (WWII, Korean War, Vietnam, possibly Gulf War and more), so I think that alone makes it something to write home about. I'd also like to obtain a pistol like that, but the CMP instructions for obtaining one were too complicated for me. And I'm not clear on what the prereqs are to get one to begin with.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel525 View Post
You can't order one , you get what they give you at this point in their game.

People are still posting being offered service, field and rack grades. When I got mine a month ago I was offered all three grades.

I'll bet the OP thinks his looks like a field grade. I'm still surprised that they've lasted this long. I hope they get more and open them up for ordering again even to people that already received one. I know I would put my name in the hat again.

Again I like the look of the OP's.

Hell, if he dislikes it that much he can always return it...
Old 11-15-2019, 09:42 PM

can't tell much from the blurry pics, but it looks like a decent pistol. I would probably not have designated it as a 'service grade'. unfortunately, they didn't ask my opinion first. like you said, though... it's definitely worth what you paid for it.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:46 PM

Honestly, I was hoping for one of those pretty arsenal rebuilds. But after reading comments and thinking about it, its growing on me. In fact, it looks a whole lot like what I used when I was in the Army way back when. It ain't so bad after all.
I don't regret buying it one bit. Its a piece of history.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:16 PM
Administrator

I too would prefer that one over a fresh-looking re-Parkerized rebuild. What you have is a perfect example of what the guys in Vietnam were usually carrying around. The fresh re-Parks look to me like an 80 year-old woman with lot of makeup trying to look 40 again.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:56 AM

Bro, don't be dismayed...great looking pistol! I like the #1 too :-)
Old 11-16-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBurn View Post
People are still posting being offered service, field and rack grades. When I got mine a month ago I was offered all three grades.

I'll bet the OP thinks his looks like a field grade. I'm still surprised that they've lasted this long. I hope they get more and open them up for ordering again even to people that already received one. I know I would put my name in the hat again.

Again I like the look of the OP's.

Hell, if he dislikes it that much he can always return it...
Thats good to hear for those on the list, the last post about one I saw the person wasn't given a choice.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:14 AM

It has that been there done that look! This is the look they should have.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:47 AM

Honestly, I like the look of that pistol over one of the "fresh" rebuilt ones.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:48 AM

No rebuild marks on a Colt frame is a big plus IMO. I'm sure you can find a Colt slide or trade for one.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:21 AM

Hi, as per wear yours looks a lot like mine. I also questioned the grade as mine has a lot of high edge wear. Mine also has a rack number and is a SA rebuild, like yours. My friend got his and it has beautiful Parkerizing and is not as lite as the picture suggests, much darker. His is mismatched and I think that I'm happy with a 1911 matching slide and frame. I think that they are using different criteria , then finish or wear, regards, Mike

Picture # 1 Here's mine and the link: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=996190

Picture # 2 Here's my friends and the link:https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=1001978
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0052.JPG   YgmpEBC.jpg  
Old 11-16-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:

To me, that's a beautiful piece of American military history. I can imagine where that warrior's sidearm has been & what action it may have been involved with.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

US Army Engineers 1976-1982.
MY 1911's - Norinco 5", Rock Island CS GI, Springfield Loaded Parkerized.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:12 AM

You are looking past the history and honest wear. You have a pure piece of American history. The arsenal refinished pieces have a place but not in the front row like yours!

I made the mistake of refinishing my first 1911 gamer gun, all the honest wear erased! Now it's just another 1911 with no sentimental value.....

Smiles,
Old 11-16-2019, 11:19 PM

In my humble opinion that is a great looking, honest wear finished military 1911. I would be proud to own that one.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:00 AM
Administrator

People buy mixmaster Garands and M1 Carbines all the time, yet it seems a mismatched 1911 is some sort of pariah. Before all the collector's books came out and told us which serial numbers belonged to which manufacturer few people had a clue whether a given frame was made by Colt or Remington Rand or whoever. The military certainly didn't care.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:33 AM

I appreciate all the kind comments. Thanks.
I guess I was just kinda spoiled by all those people who were showing off their nearly perfect arsenal rebuilds that I was expecting one of those. There is something about a near perfect pistol ya know.
But you're absolutely right. I've purchased both a Garand and a Carbine from CMP. Both were in very good shape, but nowhere near perfect. So why should I expect a pistol to be? If I had run across this pistol at a gun show for this price, I probably would have bought it.
Anyway, I'm glad that I got it and I'm happy with it.

Here's a couple of more pictures. I hope they're better than the first ones.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I guess I was just kinda spoiled by all those people who were showing off their nearly perfect arsenal rebuilds that I was expecting one of those. There is something about a near perfect pistol ya know.
But you're absolutely right. I've purchased both a Garand and a Carbine from CMP. Both were in very good shape, but nowhere near perfect. So why should I expect a pistol to be?
Perfection lies in the eye of the beholder. Your pistol looks all business and is a "perfect" example of a typical GI M1911A1 that's seen some use. The pretty ones may get all the attention but they probably would have no stories to tell if they could talk.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:40 AM

Pictures are much better and I still like it. Nice honest wear on that one. Congratulations!
Old 11-18-2019, 11:59 AM

If they hold out long enough for me to get one( RNG# 14,something), I would be pleased to get one like that.