Best IWB for Full Size - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 11:43 PM

If you are looking for something affordable, my vote is for the Crossbreed super Tuck. I got one today from a local dealer and its amazing. I'm 5'10 and a heavy guy and its the most comfortable holster I have ever used. It distributes the weight perfectly and the high sweat guard keeps the safety, hammer and beaver tail from digging in to my side. Now I need a better belt.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:01 AM

Vm ii

Great holster. Best IWB to carry a full size on the hip. 2nd choice the SS II.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Banned

If your worried about that type of AD then you need a new gun that has a passive firing pin safety or get a titanium firing pin. Other gunsmith guys can give you better directions than I can on this though.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:42 AM

I've had good luck with Don Hume's PCCH IWB holster. Its very comfortable and is around $45 to $50.

www.jsggunleather.doodlekit.com
Old 05-29-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Mike's1911 wrote,
...I have a few more things that I would like to try and find in a holster aside from what I have already mentioned. First thing that is kind of a requirement is a forward cant. Second, I would like to find one that has a thumb break. I will be carrying condition 1 all the time and I am a bit worried about something accidentally tapping the firing pin with just enough force to cause the chambered round to go off. So are there any holsters that fit my criteria?
I don't think the thumb break is really needed, but if you want one, take a look at Andrews Leather's McDaniel II. The attachment allows for adjustable cant and they do offer a thumb break. It will cost more than your original request though, but I'm going to guess your requirements have put you over your initial cost level.
http://www.andrewsleather.com/
Old 05-29-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezzulli View Post
My advice is to save up and buy a quality rig (holster, belt, mag carrier) first time around. It will serve you well for years to come - after all, we are talking about protect your life and those of your loved ones. Go with leather, in general, the most comfortable and concealable.

I have IWB holsters and rigs from Sparks, Bulman, 5 Shot , Alessi, and Ritchie Leather. All will carry a full-size 1911 well, although skinny (especially skinny waisted) people may find the VMII too much leather.

Finally, do not cheap-out on a belt. Buy a belt from one of the above makers and you will be happy. Feed back also praises belts from the Beltman and AG Custom.
+1 advice.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Another vote for getting a purpose built gun belt. A good belt will make more of a difference in comfort and function than the often minor differences between the various makers' IWB holsters. Although I do have favorite holsters for different modes of carry, I've never had one from the custom makers that didn't work well with a good belt. Conversely, a poor (for CCW) belt will leave you with the impression that a holster isn't that great, even if it really is.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
I don't think the thumb break is really needed, but if you want one, take a look at Andrews Leather's McDaniel II. The attachment allows for adjustable cant and they do offer a thumb break. It will cost more than your original request though, but I'm going to guess your requirements have put you over your initial cost level.
http://www.andrewsleather.com/
I have McDaniel IIs with thumb breaks for both my 5" and 4.25" guns. Great holsters - very well made and comfortable to wear.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:12 PM

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my M&P9c, and I absolutely HATED IT for the first few times I wore it.... it sat in my closet for a year until I bought a 5.11 Tactical Operator gun belt (before that I had $15 walmart belts). With the addition of my new belt, it's now my favorite holster out of the 5 that I own. I'd say I probably pick up the Crossbreed 8/10 times I carry the M&P9c, all because the belt. The belt makes a GIANT difference.

That being said, I just bought my first 1911 (full size Kimber Custom II) and am also looking for a holster. I found a guy locally who makes a knock-off Crossbreed style IWB for $45, so I think I'm going to try that first... from the pics he sent me, it looks dead-on like my Crossbreed, only difference is the clips.

I'm going to look for an OWB too, and would like to get something that holds snug to the body... don't know if i want a retention device or not, because my 1911 may just be an OC gun, depending on how this new knock-off Crossbreed feels.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 PM

Well as far as non-concealed methods of carry for full size 1911's, I have a tactical drop-leg rig that I absolutely adore. I'm from Texas, and right now we don't have open carry so it's not practical as a daily carry method, but I have used it when we have been camping and hunting on our land. And from the looks of it, Texas may be moving to open carry, which if we do, that may be how I carry from time to time. Its so comfortable that I wish it was acceptable as a form of carry now, but...

I still havent really found anything in the way of concealment holsters that I really like well enough to custom order one. I did find a Don Hume that was really reasonable and in stock from a retailer so I wouldnt have to wait on anything more then shipping, but idk.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:04 PM

How about

+1 on the Andrews MacDaniels II.
The VM II is nice, and it is popular, however, it did not work well on my slim body. The front loop was over my front pocket and there wasn't enough forward (FBI) cant to keep the end of the grip away from the back of my cover garment.
The MD has adjustable cant and changable loops!!! It is very comfortable and fast on the presentation. I am most pleased with it. Perhaps this might fit what you seem to be wanting. Plan on 3 - 7 months depending on his prodection cycle.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 PM

I like my Sparks' Watch 6 IWB holster, but I really,really like my Alessi PCH IWB holster. Both carry well, the W6 sits lower on the belt but lacks a stiftening band to aid with reholstering. The PCH lacks a band too but the design of the holster elimenates the need for one.

buy the PCH from the company with the Alessi name, not some knock off using designs that were not assigned to that person/company.
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.