1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 07:52 PM

Frontsight experience.

I got back from frontsight (Pahrump Nv near Las Vegas) about two weeks ago. I took two classes. The 1911 armorers course and the two day handgun skillbuilder class.

The 1911 armorers course is a one day class designed to teach function checks, fit checks, detail stripping, function theory and some parts fitting. I found out how little I knew about the 1911 and also now know that alot of people who post on this sight do not really know much either. I was amazed at how much changing one part of the gun can have a ripple effect on the function of the entire gun. The 1911 is much more complex than I had ever imagined. I learned alot and can do alot more things myself. I walked away with a greater respect for those who really know there way around the 1911.

The skillbuilder class is designed for those who have taken the handgun defense class and want to polish there skills. There are no lectures just two days of shooting primarily from concealed carry and timed. Malfunction drills are reviewed and practiced.

Overall, it was great three days. This is my second trip to front sight. Both times I found the staff to be professional but not stiff. The instructors treat you more like a valued friend. No drill sergeant mentality but yet safety and discpline are maintained on the range. The instructor to student ratio was about 1:4. I was amazed to learn that I was really needed to work on a couple of things. I have been shooting for years in the civilian, police, and military settings. I am pleasantly surprised by the level of expertise that front sight maintains. The training is much better than anything I have experienced before.

Did they try to sell me a membership---yes. But it was a very soft sell that I had to volunteer for. The founder of front sight is building the facility on cash flow. No loans of investors so he has to do a little promoting. The only sales pitch for the weekend was at lunch. You did not have to attend but it was hot and I wanted to eat in the comfort of air conditioning so I listened to the pitch. The levels of membership were explained along with the costs and if you wanted to sign up they had a table at the back of the room. There was no harassment or high pressure tactics.
In the closing ceremony they mentioned that they were available to discuss joining. That pitch lasted may be a minute or two. In the class and on the range there was never one hint of a sales pitch. I never felt pressured to spend a nickel. I am on the frontsight email list and I must admit some of the offers ring of TV infomercial mentality but it does not extend into the training. I know that I went into a bit of tirade on this topic but I think the rumor mill has been a little unfair to front sight. They are good people doing one hell of a good job.

Last edited by Citabria; 05-16-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:45 AM

Citabria,

I also recently went to Frontsight, for the March 4-day practical rifle class, which is an excellent class. To say I was also impressed with the entire operation from top to bottom would be an understatement. There were about 250 people training there the weekend I was there, with about 10 different classes running, and a boatload of excellent, on the same page instructors. They are obviously doing something right out there. I had no idea there would be so many people there.

I met members while I was there who have gotten such a huge training return compared to the money they have spent on memberships you wouldn't believe it.

I will be back there for more training, probably the 4-day tactical shotgun course, which looks like a kick ass course.

By the way, who taught the 1911 armorer course?

Dave Williams
Old 05-17-2004, 08:56 AM

Robert Chavez taught the 1911 armorer course. Bob is with the University of California system and teahces gunsmithing at Lassen Community College in Susanville Ca. Extremely knowledgable and a good teacher. However, his lecture on the link pin and its effects went a little over my head. Otherwise, a great class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Good info!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM

Bob taught a couple of armorers classes I took at Lassen. He knows his stuff and is also a very competent instructor. Some people can do but can't teach. He isn't like that.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:05 PM

I took the Glock and 1911 Armorers course from Bob C. He is an excellent instructor and will help you with anything. Bob gave me his business card and told me to call him if I ever needed any questions answered or was having a problem with one of my firearms.

I have friends that have taken courses taught by him at Lassen CC and they had nothing by good things to say about the courses.

You can go on line to the Lassen Community College web site and see the firearms courses offered there.

Steve
Old 04-02-2010, 07:46 PM

Nice to see a 2004 thread updated. Frontsight has been in the news in the past year with some serious financial problems. I hope things are sorted out and they are still offering classes.

best wishes- oldandslower
Old 04-03-2010, 12:11 AM

force on force

Anyone take a force on force class there?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 PM

I heard that they are offering free FOF courses to all of their opposing counsels and litigants...
Old 04-07-2010, 07:50 PM

This is a thread from 05-16-04. If you feel that the subject should be revisited, feel free to start a new thread.

Closed
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.
Closed Thread