Gunsmoke - Page 3 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Back on James Arness; not sure about him being a beach bum but between WW-2 and his acting he went to school on the G.I bill and trained to be of all things a Radio and T.V repairman.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:56 AM

Anybody know why any of the current Gunsmoke reruns don't feature Chester?

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDodger View Post
Let me tell you... NCIS is an unbelievable joke. I WAS an NCIS agent for many years. It doesn't resemble the TV show whatsoever!! I can't even watch the TV show.

Doc, you're the first to mention "Sugarfoot" ... ! Cool! I haven't thought of that show for decades. And Clint Walker as Cheyenne was great. One of my all time favorites.

Anybody remember... was it, "Johnny Reb".. ? The blond guy with the sawed off lever action? Or am I mixing that up with "Branded"?
Are you kidding?!! This is the best show on TV! I don't care if you are a NCIS agent and it's not like the real thing. I'd bet that the real NCIS agents job is BORING! This show is great because it has an awesome cast and good stories! The NCIS L.A. is crap and has a terrible cast, but the original is great!
Old 03-13-2010, 12:53 PM

The mule should be NANCY!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDodger View Post
Vic Morrow. Yes he did... while filming for The Twilight Zone.
It wasn't a chopper crash, IIRC, he had a major run in with the rotor and lost his head.
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamd View Post
The mule should be NANCY!
The mule would be Ruth!!!

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 03-13-2010, 07:42 PM

Pondarosa (sp), remember the first season or so, before it got kind of tochy feely, when the family was more nasty? "Pa, there's a buncha nesters down by the Big Pines" "Saddle up boys and we'll burn'm out!"

Back to Combat, the entire squad could be blazing away at a German sniper in a tree and not touch a hair on his behind. Then Sgt. Saunders would open up with his Thompson and knock the sniper out of the tree. Even back when I was a lot younger I thought the squad were a bunch of lousy shots and Saunders was either a great Thompson shooter or damned lucky.

Yancy Derringer, who shot more men a long distances with his .41 rimfire pistols than anybody. That was his Indian sidekick's name and what did he say in every show?
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!

Last edited by Jim V; 03-13-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:07 PM

The radio version of Gunsmoke's pilot episode had him played by a different actor and named as Mark Dillon. When the pilot was picked up as a series William Conrad got the job as Matt Dillon. When the radio show was picked up as a TV series the radio show cast expected to get the TV job

The radio cast even posed for pictures for the TV show CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES

Take a look at the top left corner picture. The guy seated on the far left who played the radio "Doc" also was famous for playing another part on another very popular long running TV show. Does anyone want to guess the actor and the role he played on the other TV show.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:14 PM

The Indian's name was Pahoo-Ka-Ta-Wah and he did not speak, he only communicated with hand gestures.

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 03-13-2010, 08:27 PM

James Arness

Bit role in what John Wayne Movie?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 PM

back in the late 50's, i just couldn't wait to watch the half hour Gunsmoke followed (or preceeded by) Have Gun Will Travel.

I spent five dollars of my birthday money on a really nice colt 44 replica; i found i could take spent 38 spl cases with bullets pushed back into the cases and load them into the cylinder. My pals had Fanner 50's, but i liked mine better. One of the kids had Paladin's belt buckle derringer, if you puffed out your stomach it would pop out the derringer on a little hinge and fire a cap. My dad back in the early 50's helped some lady move her icebox or waching machine, and found an old BB gun behind it, less the barrel thing that actually held the BB's, gave it to me, i still have it, but i learned early that if I cocked it, but left the lever handle down and pulled the trigger, the lever would wack my fingers really hard.

It was only much later that i finally figured out what Paladin's card meant with "Have Gun Will Travel" meant.

I don't watch much tv anymore. Why is it that there was so much to watch when there were only three channels, and now with about 200, i can't find anything worth watching?

thanks for the memories, and all the best...
Old 03-13-2010, 08:38 PM

just remembed that I still have my very scratched little records of the legend of the Long Ranger, how he was ambushed by the Cavendish gang, and saved by Tonto. I can recite word for word exactly how each record begins...

The leader of the Cavendish Gang shouts "open fire, wipe them out to the last man..."

Tonto comes along "hummm, he hurt bad"

An understatement, when you have been bushwacked by the Cavendish Gang.

Ah, what good years they were.

all the best...
Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Mag View Post
The Indian's name was Pahoo-Ka-Ta-Wah and he did not speak, he only communicated with hand gestures.
We have a winner. I've asked the last question on several boards and nobody ever got it right. I thought he was better than Tonto and his nylon socks.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:55 PM

The photo is of Floyd the barber on Mayberry ( Andy Griffith ) !! Who could "not" recognize him !
Old 03-13-2010, 08:55 PM

What does Pahoo-Ka-Ta-Wah mean in Pawnee??

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 03-13-2010, 09:00 PM

i got BUCK TAYLORs autograph and a picture of the GUNSMOKE cast hangin on my livin room wall....BUCK sure is a nice gentleman to visit with
Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrasi View Post
Bit role in what John Wayne Movie?

Hondo? I remember the movie but not the name of it. I think it was more than a bit part.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:02 PM

If you have a TV channel that shows "Maverick" reruns, watch for a great episode titled "Gun-Shy." It's a spoof of "Gunsmoke", and features a marshal named "Mort Dooley." The actor they got to play Marshal Dooley sounds a lot like James Arness.

The actress that plays the equivalent of Miss Kitty keeps repeating the line, "Be careful, Mort."
Old 03-13-2010, 10:13 PM

Now how can we forget the Andy Griffith Show with Barney Fife and his trusty revolver with his one bullet in his top pocket!!! That show is priceless!!

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 03-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Banned

I loved the old westerns, while watching an episode of Rawhide awhile back it struck me how differently things were portrayed "back in the day" compared to our contemporary times. Jim shut me down though....

http://forum.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=163687
Old 03-14-2010, 12:10 AM

Some of these old TV series had some guest actors that later became big stars. I have a collection of the old Route 66 series and it is full of who's who in hollywood including Robert Redford and Arthur Kennedy. By the way, one of my favorite movies is No Time for Sergeants starring Andy Griffith with Don Knotts playing a Air Force Psychologist.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss60 View Post
... Jim shut me down though....
What a "thread closing communist."
Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
What a "thread closing communist."
He's a tough ol' bird!
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Hondo? I remember the movie but not the name of it. I think it was more than a bit part.
You are correct sir. The Arness character was the guy who was rewarded with Hondo's prized Winchester at the conclusion of the movie.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:37 AM

Finally, someone mentioned Maverick, the best of the lot.
If you have Direct TV you can get most of these shows on the western channel.
I TEVO Maverick daily as I was in Berlin from 60-63 and missed many.
We also left out two other great westerns, Trackdown and The Lawman.
Which wounded Marine Vet was the star of the later?