Thumb Safety findings - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-29-2019, 04:35 PM

Thumb Safety findings

I purchased Valkyrie a couple months ago and experienced the same issue stated by the many DW owners, that the thumb safety would engage <1/32Ē blocking the sear upon recoil not allowing the hammer to drop for follow up shots. I could press the TS down and the hammer drops to the half cock notch.
Since I donít ride the safety (just doesnít work for me so donít suggest it), I first thought I was hitting the TS upon recoil. I held with a low grip and it still happened every time.
SO... looking at the engagement with the grip safety removed I could feel the slightest movement of the TS would block the sear. Removing the TS and comparing to one from my Colt, the ledge on the DW TS that engages the sear is much longer, >2x than the engagement ledge of the Colt TS. I filed the leading edge to reduce the length of the ledge and it works great now.
While I had the TS off the gun, I also filed a slight lead on the detent notch, which made the engagement snick a bit easier.
Hope this information can help others with similar issue.

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 02-17-2020, 11:59 PM
Banned

Thank you for the great info. I just replaced a thumb safety and had the same problem.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:04 AM

You mentioned your problem with the safety.

You don't ride the safety, ifb you did you would have no problems. You don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2020, 07:22 AM

rbert0005, The TS was forged out of spec. I corrected the issue.
Riding the safety was never the intention of the John Browning design, just as the hump on the grip safety was not original to his design.
Talking about reinventing the wheel? Maybe you should learn a bit of history of the 1911.
Your signature line is 100% correct BTW.

NRA Life-Benefactor

Last edited by mickeyd; 02-18-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:46 PM

Is the TS of the Valkyrie common to any of the other models do you know? Was the forging of yours just a one-off or has this been reported on other Valkyries or different models?
Do you have any pictures of the relief you put on your safety? Good info btw, thanks for posting your experiences.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:56 PM

I doubt a cco-sized aluminum framed 1911 was part of John M. Browning's original design/intent/vision, either, yet it's a good idea.

I find it silly for someone to use such as a point to argue over when they are shooting anything other than an old-school 1911.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Riding the safety was never the intention of the John Browning design, just as the hump on the grip safety was not original to his design.
Talking about reinventing the wheel? Maybe you should learn a bit of history of the 1911.
Maybe you should learn something from the last 110 years or so of using the 1911 in gun fights, and what can be done to the gun to improve it, and what the user can do to improve how they use it.

Simply tossing something aside because 'it doesn't work for you' with no context doesn't mean a damn thing besides you don't want to learn anything new.
Nice people fall to the manipulator. The manipulator crumbles under the assertive. The assertive shrinks before the aggressive. The aggressive have no plan for the assaultive. The assaultive are unprepared for the homicidal.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
Maybe you should learn something from the last 110 years or so of using the 1911 in gun fights, and what can be done to the gun to improve it, and what the user can do to improve how they use it.

Simply tossing something aside because 'it doesn't work for you' with no context doesn't mean a damn thing besides you don't want to learn anything new.
Well, I’ve been shooting 1911s for 40 years. I’ve tried riding the safety and find it doesn’t work for me, as my palm does not activate the grip safety consistently.
So your assumption that I don’t want to try something new is asinine.

For the “gentleman” that asked about the TS forging, I don’t know if it’s a one off issue. The gun was built in 2015 per the serial number. I purchased new in Nov 2019. I have read that other have experthe same issue.
The contact surface on the TS was overly large and out of speck. I filed the leading edge to reduce the contact area.
The one picture is of a correct TS profile.
Attached Thumbnails
746A9F19-87CD-4AEC-A14E-0B40DFEC00A9.jpeg   660F46C1-989E-430D-A135-F7B2A00AA824.jpeg   D93BC77E-1156-4AED-B0FA-8C92ED77143D.jpeg   963C61B0-4845-4644-81C4-1BE7A309EFE6.jpeg  

NRA Life-Benefactor

Last edited by mickeyd; 02-18-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGa View Post
I doubt a cco-sized aluminum framed 1911 was part of John M. Browning's original design/intent/vision, either, yet it's a good idea.

I find it silly for someone to use such as a point to argue over when they are shooting anything other than an old-school 1911.
Can you tell me how the Officer/Alloy frame has anything to do with my thumb safety issue.

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 02-18-2020, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the pics Mickey. Which one of the four pictures shows the correct profile?
Old 02-18-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcooper View Post
Thanks for the pics Mickey. Which one of the four pictures shows the correct profile?
The lower right.
The image on the right shows a point on the lower right of this image and is the sear contact area. It is filed to properly just fit so the sear can not move when the TS is engaged.
The TS on the left has been filed.

The contact area on my DW safety was way too long and out of spec.
Attached Thumbnails
B4A884DA-A65E-4E19-A709-0C1F76F617E7.jpeg  

NRA Life-Benefactor

Last edited by mickeyd; 02-18-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:34 PM

Thank you. I would send something like this in, but then I don't have 40 years of working with 1911's.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Can you tell me how the Officer/Alloy frame has anything to do with my thumb safety issue.
I simply went through the door you opened in your post that is quoted below vvvvvv

Quote:
Your signature line is 100% correct BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcooper View Post
Thank you. I would send something like this in, but then I don't have 40 years of working with 1911's.

I'm with you.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:32 AM

I tried to share an issue that I had, the problem I found and the remedy to correct it, in the event someone else experienced a similar issue.

Thanks to those that feel I need to learn how to handle a firearm, hold it a certain way they feel is correct, and educate me on the 1911 design of John Browning.
Iím such a better man now.

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 02-19-2020, 08:35 AM

hehehhe ,, I have the same firearm and same issue,,, currently the TS has been replaced with an ambi and works fine but I am going to try to refit based on your pics/findings -- I like the single sided better when it works correctly thanks for sharing
Old 02-19-2020, 08:48 AM

There are those who take great umbrage when flaws or shortcomings in their favorite anything are pointed out. Making them feel that their choice in and affinity for that thing is also flawed. I guess.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I tried to share an issue that I had, the problem I found and the remedy to correct it, in the event someone else experienced a similar issue.

Thanks to those that feel I need to learn how to handle a firearm, hold it a certain way they feel is correct, and educate me on the 1911 design of John Browning.
Iím such a better man now.
The point I was trying to make is you've got a gun outside of original specs, while talking about what original design intent was by a fair amount (as a package).

I can see how it came off that I was telling you to modify your handling in ABC way - that was not the intent. The intent was to acknowledge that you are using something that has been modified, for the better, with over 100 years of experience going into it. That same experience applies to the use of the pistol as well, and you can get that information by attending training from someone that knows the pistol.

It is not a "do XYZ" thing, as your context is different from mine.
Your refusal to try something because it didn't work in the past, and you've been doing something for 40 years (so you don't have anything to learn, in all likelihood) probably means you're unlikely to try and improve the software side of things.

That's fine. A lot has changed over the last century, and there are probably techniques out there you haven't been exposed to yet that might be beneficial - in all parts of life.
Nice people fall to the manipulator. The manipulator crumbles under the assertive. The assertive shrinks before the aggressive. The aggressive have no plan for the assaultive. The assaultive are unprepared for the homicidal.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:21 PM

Appreciate your response and explication Jeep.
The point I was trying to share is that the part (thumb safety) was grossly out of spec. I was sharing what I did to correct the part.
I will admit that riding the safety would make the pistol fire and not allow the safety to engage, but that wasnít the correct course to take to make the part work correctly as designed.

As for all your other assumptions, how do you come up that I refuse to learn or try anything different? I have taken several tactical pistol shooting courses, and I am open to new found ways to shoot effectively. Does Ken Hackathorne sound familiar to you? We reside in the same town and shoot often.
Riding the TS just doesnít work for me. Let it be.

NRA Life-Benefactor
Old 02-22-2020, 08:49 AM

the suggestion to ride the safety to remedy a malfunction (my words/interpretation) is insane for a self defense firearm - try that solution weak hand and pretend your strong hand is busy doing something else like bleeding -- I would not carry mine until this was remedied -- don't get me wrong as I like the firearm and have others but none of them ever did this .. mine is probably out of warranty so not worth sending back to Wesson unless they ware willing to pick up the freight.... the gun runs like a hose and very accurate but some modification was needed....