CZ over/under - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 08:23 PM

CZ over/under

I am thinking about buying an over/under shotgun. Mainly for an annual pheasant hunt. I have been looking at CZ models. Have any of you folks owned or have any knowledge they could share with me about CZ over/under shotguns?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:21 PM

I don’t have any CZ over/under shotguns. However, I have many CZ pistols and a bolt action 22LR. I am very pleased with the quality of their firearms.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:11 PM

there not made by cz they are made in turkey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 07:08 AM

Go with nothing less than a used Citori.
If you can live with a 26" barrel (out of favor) many deals are out there.
We have many club members show up with bargain over unders. Most fail in a short period of time. The Russian guns seem to hold up.
You may get away with a hunt or two a year with one, but few will stand up to thousands of rounds a year.

Jim
Old 02-12-2020, 09:10 AM

"but few will stand up to thousands of rounds a year. "

Since the OP mentioned using one for a once a year pheasant hunt? I suspect they won't reach that level in their lifetime?

I'd be shopping around for the best deal on an O/U regardless of make. For a one-time project requiring a single-use tool? I shop at Harbor Freight, not Snap On or Dewalt - lol

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-12-2020, 02:48 PM

I know he did say a hunt a year, but if you hunt, don't you practice too?
Practice can become addicting itself.

This is what you should be looking for.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854838227
Or this.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854474661
What is your budget? Why are you considering the CZ line?

Lots of reading for you here.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=137
They are made by Huglu.

Jim

Last edited by jim18611865; 02-12-2020 at 03:06 PM. Reason: addition.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:40 PM

We sell both Browning's and CZ's. My thoughts:

The CZ's are decent guns FOR THE MONEY. If you only have $1000.....and you ABSOLUTELY have to have a new gun, the CZ is probably the best gun in that $1K and under market. But there's a reason CZ is selling their O/U's for $1K or less. They are just not going to take steady qty of shooting. If you're only gonna shoot a box or two every year and you MUST have a new gun.....buy the CZ.

That said, used Citori's are everywhere for the same amount of money. And very few people can afford enough ammo to wear out a Citori. And if you do wear it out, there are plenty of places who'll rebuild it for you.

If you can live with a used gun, get the Citori as it's a far FAR better built gun.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:11 PM

Thank you, everyone, for the very useful information. I believe that I will now give the used Citori's some serious consideration. I didn't realize that they could be purchased for under $1000.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:53 PM

Can’t go wrong with a Browning. I have a Citori 725 Sporting, Non-Ported. It’s a 2015 Shot Show limited production model. I absolutely love it. It’s going to be my son’s some day. I don’t have any experience with used shotguns. I have purchased a few used hand guns, 1911’s and CZ 9mm. More than than 90% of the time I pass on buying used. I see too many used and abused and or overpriced. I’m not saying you can’t get a lightly used Browning for a great price. Just use good judgment and don’t just buy something because it’s in your price range. I definitely would not buy a used Gun sight unseen and I’m not talking just pictures. Pictures can be deceiving.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:53 PM

Would a used Beretta be worth looking into?
Old 02-18-2020, 05:51 AM

If the price is right, certainly.
Jim
Old 02-18-2020, 07:47 AM

Or be patient and look for a used Ruger red label.

We recently received a brand new Beretta for a customer. All I can say is I would have been sick to my stomach had I ordered it for me. The fit and finish was terrible. Im sure the metallurgy was better than the Turkish guns but man it looked like crap.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
Or be patient and look for a used Ruger red label.

We recently received a brand new Beretta for a customer. All I can say is I would have been sick to my stomach had I ordered it for me. The fit and finish was terrible. Im sure the metallurgy was better than the Turkish guns but man it looked like crap.
Which model was it?

Typically the wood on the 686 guns is pretty spartan. Borderline 2x4 stuff. But the metal parts have always been 1st class. The 686 action is bulletproof and while the early 690's had extractor issues, those problems were fixed a couple of years ago.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:30 PM

Ok, thanks again for the good information.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:05 AM

I bought a CZ RedHead, and while a decent gun, it was so stiff to open, it almost took 3 hands. I kept it a year, shot it maybe 500 times at clays, even opened it over and over while sitting in front of the T.V., and it never got any easier to open.
So I got rid of it. Never had any problems with the couple of Citori's I owned.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Which model was it?

Typically the wood on the 686 guns is pretty spartan. Borderline 2x4 stuff. But the metal parts have always been 1st class. The 686 action is bulletproof and while the early 690's had extractor issues, those problems were fixed a couple of years ago.
It was a Silver Pidgeon (686). We don't sell many new mid to high end O/U shotguns, so they are always special ordered. I was really taken back on how bad the stock and forearm were fit. We have $500.00 Turkish guns with far better wood, both in looks and fitment. The new owner was a young guy (compared to myself, LOL) and seemed ok with it.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
It was a Silver Pidgeon (686). We don't sell many new mid to high end O/U shotguns, so they are always special ordered. I was really taken back on how bad the stock and forearm were fit. We have $500.00 Turkish guns with far better wood, both in looks and fitment. The new owner was a young guy (compared to myself, LOL) and seemed ok with it.
Yep. The furniture on the 686 guns is really sad. We usually stock a half dozen or so and it's surprising how many we sell. But Browning's outsell them 3-1 in our shop.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:57 PM

This is my CZ experience. It’s not exactly what you asked about, but hopefully I can offer some points to consider.

Yes, Browning (Miroku) makes a wonderful O/U, but they are not a fair comparison to what CZ is selling. I've owned two Browning Lightnings. Still have one (20ga 24" Upland Special). Like anything else, you get what you pay for. Browning = $1000+. CZ = $600.

For the past two years I've been hunting both upland and waterfowl with a CZ Bobwhite 12ga SxS. Double triggers were my reason for switching and I don't regret it. The fit and finish on the CZ is not quite on par with the Browning’s but the CZ is a good-looking gun with very respectable fit and finish at the price point.

The CZ trigger pulls are quite heavy but, in the field, I really don't notice it. I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
1026181751a.jpg  
Old 03-09-2020, 12:14 AM

I have been trying to learn as much as I can about shotguns for pheasant hunting the past few weeks and you folks on here have helped. I decided that I wanted an over/under so that I would have the choice of two chokes and I like the look also.

I should have a Browning Citori purchased. But I have not received it yet. Thanks again to everyone for the help.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:38 AM

oops