No Kimber anymore - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-18-2020, 02:37 PM

I only own 1 Kimber Gold Match. One thing I'll not do is part with $1000 on something without handling and inspecting first. Any faults are dealt with before money changes hands.
Second is just how does the OP know it was new? Word of the seller? Even if un-shot and clean was it purchased first by the seller?
What did the seller offer as a fix? Did the OP contact the seller?
Lots of the story left un-told. KM
Old 02-18-2020, 03:29 PM

I did pick up a Stainless Gold Match from a shooty buddy. He was not even the second owner. He had gotten the box and papers but how much of the rest of it is original is a good question. It is a pre Series II so no mechanical firing pin safety. The front sight has been changed and it has a righty only thumb safety. I did put on some new stocks I ordered from Kimber. My friend said when he got it there was a crack in the grips so he bought some new checkered ones. Of course he threw out the ones that were on the pistol.

I got to field strip it and put about 200 rounds through it before we agreed on $800 for it. I have since put on a different MSH/magwell and I got rid of the FLGR for a traditional guide rod and plug. Like I say a nice pistol but how many of the fire control parts have been switched out is a good question. The frame and slide are original I believe. It has a lovely trigger.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:26 PM

The Pre-Series-II Gold Combat and Gold Match were probably the best two pistols Kimber ever built.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:40 PM

Kimber must have changed their warranty policy.
When I had an issue with my Kimber Solo, they sent me a pre-paid shipping label.
The second time I had issues with it, I called them and asked for a new striker spring, which they sent, at no charge.
They never asked me for any receipt.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:07 PM

s/s main spring housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
When I buy a 1911 with a plastic MSH, I just automatically replace it with one made of steel. Problem solved before it happens.
Exactly what I would have done as soon as I figured out that it was plastic. I am a fan of the Wilson flat, checkered MSH and put it on all my 1911's. Free or otherwise, Kimber can keep their replacement MSH. Not all that familiar with Kimber. So going into it I would not have known the MSH is plastic.
Not a fan of the glued in ejectors either but when they loosen they don't fall off until the slide is removed. I would imagine.
A man's rights rest in three boxes; the ballot box, jury box, and the cartridge box, Frederick Douglass
Old 02-19-2020, 06:55 PM

Wow, hard to believe Kimber would not honor the warranty. I have a Springfield milspec that I traded a S&W revolver for some 30 years ago during a poker game on a deer lease. The plunger tube popped loose about two months ago and I could not find a parkerized replacement from the usual aftermarket sources. I emailed Springfield, had a replacement free of charge in a few days. Excellent customer service from Springfield. No Kimbers for me.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Polymer mainspring housing are fairly common and have been around for at least a couple of decades. Generally, they work pretty well.

There are a lot of replacement options available.

I haven't bought a gun on-line, yet. I'm sorry to hear about your issues with Kimber and the warrantee. Your story doesn't make me want to start buying on-line either.
It looks like a response from one of the company's Social Media Representatives, rather that from Customer Service. If so, it might be the result of confusion over what "bought online" means (I haven't dealt with Kimber on social media, but I have found that many large companies somehow choose to hire incompetent morons to run their social media accounts).

If the gun is new and he bought the gun from an FFL online and had it delivered to his local FFL for transfer, he is still the first retail purchaser of the firearm (the first form 4473) - legally that should qualify as the "original purchaser" -- but if that does void his warranty, the same would be equally true for every Kimber purchase that involved shipping the gun from one FFL to another regardless of whether the purchase was online, by phone, or by walking in to a gun shop outside your home state to buy a handgun.

In fact, if you think about it, since you can't buy the gun direct from the Kimber factory, then you would never be the "original purchaser" because Kimber only sells to FFL's (and mostly only to large distributors who in turn sell to other FFL's) so only the wholesale distributor or first FFL would ever be the "original purchaser"
Old 02-19-2020, 09:23 PM

Not to be a smart @$$, but there are ebay deals on Kimber type Tru Glo night sightes.
I like the Kimber type Tru Glo night sights and have them on two of my 1911s.
Good to know that Kimber is a CS type company. Maybe that is why the Kimber type Tru Glo sights are such a deal.

Twenty five years ago my Helwin cracked a small part that I think was the sear. I contacted Baretta to get the part and they sent it for free.

Last edited by warp2diesel; 02-19-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
When I buy a 1911 with a plastic MSH, I just automatically replace it with one made of steel. Problem solved before it happens.
I do that one better. It makes no difference if plastic or not. If it is going to be used daily, it gets the MSH replaced with one that is an S&A stainless magwell guide one. The grips are replaced too with a Hogue grip.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:26 AM

I got royally boned by S&W relative to one of their M&P Pro9 pistols. But it doesn't mean I won't deal with them anymore relative to other products. I like S&W but not the M&P semi auto pistol line.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If its not a Kimber, its a copy.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:09 PM

I think I would talk to Kimber a little more. I have had nothing but great service from them, even with non-warranty issues. Their CS is one of the best in the biz IMHO.