Which do you prefer grip safety or thumb safety - Page 5 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 11:09 AM

Being that most of us here are 1911 fans....I always have liked having both.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-17-2020, 09:04 AM

Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper, the "father of modern pistolcraft", who has done more than anyone in modern times to promote combat pistol training, and also to espouse the M1911 pistol's virtues and benefits in particular as a personal defense weapon, had this opinion:

"A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might."

Now let's hear more from all the know-it-all youngsters who will exalt their own paltry opinions about the grip safety above his.
Doubtless you know better, and can instruct us.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:50 AM

Col Cooper was a man of very strong opinion. He also made very disparaging remarks about pistols other than the .45 M1911.
Given the state of pistol and ammo technology in those days, his comments are understandable.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:57 AM

COL Cooper may have been the genius of his time- however, that time is 60 years in the past. Technology has changed, and methodologies have changed...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-17-2020, 11:44 AM

Cooper did much to advance modern pistol craft.

Having said that, he (like several on this site) fell in love with the sound of his own voice, and started making some just silly proclamations.......

He deserves great credit for ‘getting the ball rolling’, but others that follow will almost always find a ‘better’ way to roll the ball.

Somewhat back to the original point, I’ve been shooting 1911’s so long, I just accept and learned to use both. The grip safety has probably undergone more tuning then the TS. Interesting to note, JB himself felt the GS to be unnecessary. But then again, he could never have envisioned the way we’d be using his pistol today.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
COL Cooper may have been the genius of his time- however, that time is 60 years in the past. Technology has changed, and methodologies have changed...
Exactly. It would be interesting to somehow hear his assessment of the current state of affairs. There might have been a surprising flexibility.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post

So what?

You made a partially true statement about technology along with an exaggeration (since his influence is only about 30 years past, not 60), but none of that is at all relevant as regards the necessity for or usefulness of the grip safety on the M1911.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:08 PM

All my 1911's have pinned grip safeties. The thumb safeties still work. Guess I like thumb safeties.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:31 PM

Ambi-thumb!

May the Schwartz NOT be with you!
Old 02-18-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Ambi-thumb!

May the Schwartz NOT be with you!
Good point. I shoot support hand a lot, and it's nice to reach the safety.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:15 AM

Dirty Harry said it best: "A mans gotta know his limitations".

All LE's are trained on the firearms they're issued. No question about that. They even qualify by shooting a target once a year, in controlled conditions. And other than carrying in a holster, never shoot again until the next qual. Trained does not mean fully mastered.

SWAT and MIL SF ascribe to the "Practice till you can't get it wrong" philosophy and have pretty much mastered their skills. I know quite a few of both, and they love their Glocks.
"This is my safety sir" comes to mind.

With my experiences and training, both professionally and in competition, I prefer a handgun with out a manual thumb safety. I do just fine with one if need be. Theres no right or wrong answer to the question. A mans gotta know his limitations.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:57 AM

Mans gotta know what he’s talking about as well........

Very few agencies are still on an annual qual cycle. Does that mean ‘good enough?’, hardly. But your statements out of date.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:06 AM

Upon further reflection, I'm gonna vote against grip safeties on some handguns, just one more thing to get in the way of a round firing when you want it to.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-18-2020, 11:55 AM

A thumb safety on a Glock or M&P would be completely different then having one on a 1911 or other single action semi auto. If you don't like thumb safeties then a 1911 is not for you. No big deal. Shoot what you shoot best.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:40 PM

Since 1911 triggers can be tuned down to sub-two-pound pull weights, I want the external safety systems in place. Many competition guns have the grip safety pinned with the thumb safety operational. I don't have issues with grip safeties; I just tune the grip safety leg of the leaf spring until I have no issues.

Glocks are refreshing because you just draw it and shoot it, no fuss over safety manipulation. Not everybody likes that but I am fine with it.

The brain, which is the only thing that can enforce trigger finger discipline, is the ultimate safety -- if you use it. If the discipline isn't there, it can be trained in.

Last edited by GunBugBit; 02-18-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
A thumb safety on a Glock or M&P would be completely different then having one on a 1911 or other single action semi auto. If you don't like thumb safeties then a 1911 is not for you. No big deal. Shoot what you shoot best.
Not correct. My first plastic gun is an M&P 2.0 with a thumb safety. I use it JUST like I use it in a 1911. No difference whatsoever.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
Not correct. My first plastic gun is an M&P 2.0 with a thumb safety. I use it JUST like I use it in a 1911. No difference whatsoever.

I'm aware that M&P's are offered with thumb safety's and that they can be added to glocks. And yes, it functions the same as on a 1911. So the use is the same. Im addressing the the need for a thumb safety (pretty much required) on a 1911 vs the need for one on a M&P. If you feel more comfortable with a thumb safety on your M&P great. They offer them, but a very small percentage of them are ordered with the thumb safety.

I have tried Glocks set up for competition with very light trigger pulls that I would want the additional safety on.