How often do you clean the extractor tunnel? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-17-2020, 02:17 PM

How often do you clean the extractor tunnel?

To tell the truth I've never thought about it much, I detail strip and clean when new but not that often after. Then one of my match guns, a COSTA VIP, starting having extraction problems after about 5K rounds and I thought it needed tuning, but when I pulled it out there was a gob of carbon around the end, I cleaned it and it worked fine after that.
So this got me to thinking and decided to go through all mine and clean them. Then I came to this old mil spec springer I got from a friend years ago when he passed. I never shot it and have no idea the history of it but I had a bear of a time getting the extractor out. When I finally got it out it looked like a solid rod, packed carbon the entire length of the tunnel. I kind of wish I'd shot it to see if it actually worked.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:27 PM

Every 1000 rounds when I clean the rest of the gun.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:56 PM

After just a few hundred rounds I’ll field strip and just do a wipe down and add oil. When I clean a .45 1911 (500-1,00 rounds) I always strip the slide and clean the extractor and extractor tunnel. Not quite as often with a 9mm 1911 as 9mm extractors are a pain to remove so probably every two or three cleanings.

NRA Patron Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2020, 03:49 PM

About 400 or 500 rounds, I don't really keep track of round count, but do pay attention to the extractor claw and detail clean when ever I cannot clean well with just a field strip.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:49 PM

https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-p...-removal-tool/

David,

A Dawson Precision extractor removal tool makes removing a 9 mm extractor a breeze. The photo in the link above is a little misleading. The extractor tool is the small black tombstone shaped object that is inserted thru the bottom of the slide and up against the breech face. It easily pushes the extractor hook to the side.

Once the tool is inserted into position, instead of using a screwdriver to pry out the extractor, I prefer to insert a chopstick in from the muzzle end of the slide and push rearward on the extractor hook. The extractor will slide right out the rear.

This tool, along with the Challis Bushing Removal Tool, are two of my favorite 1911 tools. Both are elegantly simple.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-b View Post

David,

A Dawson Precision extractor removal tool makes removing a 9 mm extractor a breeze. The photo in the link above is a little misleading. The extractor tool is the small black tombstone shaped object that is inserted thru the bottom of the slide and up against the breech face. It easily pushes the extractor hook to the side.

Once the tool is inserted into position, instead of using a screwdriver to pry out the extractor, I prefer to insert a chopstick in from the muzzle end of the slide and push rearward on the extractor hook. The extractor will slide right out the rear.

This tool, along with the Challis Bushing Removal Tool, are two of my favorite 1911 tools. Both are elegantly simple.
I got one of the Dawson tools after removing my first 9mm extractor.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:11 PM
1911 Aficionado

1000 rounds, or annually.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:09 PM

1 to 2k, or every other month-ish. It does seem to solidify if it sits too long.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-b View Post

David,

Have one but still a pain compared to a .45 extractor. Without the tool, it would be done very rarely.

I will certainly try your chop stick method, thanks.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-17-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
How often do you clean the extractor tunnel?
After every shooting session. It is the dirtiest area on the gun.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec View Post
After every shooting session. It is the dirtiest area on the gun.
I've always included it in the field stripping process.
Pedro.
VCDL
Old 02-17-2020, 08:07 PM

Never. I pulled the extractor from a couple of pistol that both had over 5000 rounds through them and there wasn't anything in either one other than some traces of oil.

The extractor tunnel is BEHIND all of the junk and crud created when a round is fired. In my experience.....I've no need to worry about again. The evidence in MY pistols says it ain't anything to be concerned about.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Never. I pulled the extractor from a couple of pistol that both had over 5000 rounds through them and there wasn't anything in either one other than some traces of oil.

The extractor tunnel is BEHIND all of the junk and crud created when a round is fired. In my experience.....I've no need to worry about again. The evidence in MY pistols says it ain't anything to be concerned about.
There is always blow back from the burning powder, or bullet lube if you shoot lead.

When I was shooting a 1911 pretty heavily, I would remove and clean everything out once a season. There was always crud in there.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 02-17-2020, 11:40 PM

Folks worry far too much about when and how to clean guns. When’s the last time you rotated your tires or checked pressures.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:37 AM

I’m not OCD about it, but do clean these areas every couple of cleanings. One advantage of the 1911 is how easy it is to strip the slide.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:37 AM

Cleaning a 1911 slide extractor tunnel.....

I clean the extractor tunnel on my 1911 slides about every 2-3K rounds, and I shoot mostly 9mm loads. Since I only use my own reloads, the power of the load and the type of powder used makes a difference in the powder residue that may get into the extractor tunnel......I use the Dawson extractor removal tool, then run a patch with Hoppe's cleaner, use a .22 bronze bore brush in the extractor tunnel, then run several clean patches through the extractor tunnel.....

I personally believe a person that never cleans the extractor tunnel on a 1911 will eventually have issues......unless their ammo burns so clean there is little to no residue when the shot is fired!
Old 02-18-2020, 07:45 AM

I clean the extractor tunnels if I shoot in the rain or need to retune/replace.
Otherwise it is about twice a year during full teardown.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 02-18-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

I've never owned a semiautomatic handgun that didn't get build up at the front of the extractor tunnel.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:09 AM

I used to the king of cleaning guns... Iíd shoot it and it would get cleaned. Any more I donít clean my main shooting gun that much, maybe a couple of times a year. I do add oil to make sure itís properly lubricated but no point in cleaning it when Iím just gonna get it dirty the next week.

That said, as long as it has oil a properly set up 1911 will go a looooooong time without cleaning and this photo shows my personal gun after about 13K rounds without cleaning. Not saying anyone should follow my lead but I have found that lots of stuff can build up in the extractor channel before it becomes and issue.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Burton View Post
I used to the king of cleaning guns... Iíd shoot it and it would get cleaned. Any more I donít clean my main shooting gun that much, maybe a couple of times a year. I do add oil to make sure itís properly lubricated but no point in cleaning it when Iím just gonna get it dirty the next week.

That said, as long as it has oil a properly set up 1911 will go a looooooong time without cleaning and this photo shows my personal gun after about 13K rounds without cleaning. Not saying anyone should follow my lead but I have found that lots of stuff can build up in the extractor channel before it becomes and issue.

Amen. My Baer TRS is sitting around 8,200 rounds since it was last cleaned. I add oil every range session and despite being filthy, it just flat out runs.

People clean guns because either they enjoy it, or because they believe they need it every (insert xxxx number of rounds here).

The truth is that a well lubricated 1911 in 45 ACP will run thousands upon thousands of rounds before it pukes. The vast vast majority of shooters will never understand that because of the little thing that clicks in their brains what says:
"Gun......Must.....clean.....gun......"
Old 02-18-2020, 01:01 PM

Not very often.

But I keep the extractor hook clean.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:38 PM

i clean the extractor tunnel after every time I shoot. It's surprising how dirty it gets, but in any case it's easily done with a solvent-soaked Q-tip, at the same time as cleaning the extractor claw.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:02 PM

A nylon .22 caliber bore brush fits in there jusssst right.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:16 PM

I go no more than 500 rounds or so between cleanings because I don’t want to lap my gun’s moving parts.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:22 AM

Short answer, never. Even when I was doing obscenely high mileage weeks of training I never pulled the extractor. Clean under the claw? Yup, remove? Nope.