Aladdin Mantle Lamps - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-21-2019, 02:38 PM

Aladdin Mantle Lamps

After reading the thread on "white gas" I wondered if anyone else here keeps Aladdin or even flat wick type kerosene lamps for emergency lighting? I have two, a utility aluminum font lamp and a fancy glass font model for either display or illumination, and a flat wick to carry between rooms. The Aladdins burn brighter and with less smell or fumes than flat wick types. Either way they give a decent light and can take the chill off as well. Early last year, I found an Aladdin kerosene heater at a thrift store for $6. It needed quite a cleaning, but even the electric start works like a champ. It burns hot as a army field stove.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:42 PM

Kerosene devices have well known risks in regard to air quality.

But emergencies are emergencies ... and if owned and used (if needed) with due care, I think it makes good sense to have as much emergency equipment as your circumstances, including space, allow.

I prefer non-kerosene equipment, but I'd not discourage anyone with good common sense from keeping kerosene fueled equipment on hand ... just in case.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 03-21-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:50 PM

The potential for carbon monoxide buildup should be considered whenever such devices are used. I got combination CO/smoke detectors with 10 yr. batteries after getting the heater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 PM

My wife and I have several of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19and41 View Post
After reading the thread on "white gas" I wondered if anyone else here keeps Aladdin or even flat wick type kerosene lamps for emergency lighting? I have two, a utility aluminum font lamp and a fancy glass font model for either display or illumination, and a flat wick to carry between rooms. The Aladdins burn brighter and with less smell or fumes than flat wick types. Either way they give a decent light and can take the chill off as well. Early last year, I found an Aladdin kerosene heater at a thrift store for $6. It needed quite a cleaning, but even the electric start works like a champ. It burns hot as a army field stove.
They work well, and are very efficient. There is a large Menonite community in my area that eschew electricity. So support for these lamps is readily available. Additionally high quality Paraffin based fuel for these lamps is also available.

Keep your wicks trimmed and use high quality fuel and these lamps are very efficient. Adequate ventilation is always required for anything like this, but they work well. The only issue is that the high quality fuel that I keep for them out in the barn will actually freeze when the weather gets cold enough. I do not mind this though as this is a quality check on the fuel that I have stored. If it freezes then it is very high grade fuel.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:16 PM

I have a couple of jugs of Klean Heat brand kerosene to use with the lamps and stove, and keep a couple of gallons of fuel for my Coleman lantern also.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:14 PM

I have a couple kerosene lamps. One is a glass indoor flat wick lamp and the other is a hurricane lamp. The hurricane I have doesn't produce the light of the other one but offers the advantage of being used outdoors in the wind if necessary.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:29 AM

I live in a rather rural location it's five miles in either Direction to the closest streetlight kerosene lanterns and heaters are a necessity for me I have four kerosene heaters and three kerosene lamps one is a flat Wick the other two are the hurricane type I rely on them frequently as the power goes out often I try to keep on hand six five gallon containers of white kerosene at all times I do agree wholeheartedly that it is essential to know how to clean and maintain kerosene equipment
Old 03-24-2019, 08:19 AM

Sure do!

Apparently it's been a family tradition---I've two Aladdins from my maternal grandfather's farm house, from before electrification made it's way out to his vineyard in the twenties.

In addition to the Coleman white gas lanterns I have three Deitz lanterns---two Hong Kong and one USA(I don't remember if it's NYC or Syracuse)

I looked at the new made in the PRC kerosene lanterns at Walmart recently and I can't say they impress me---very thin, breakable globes and the burners don't inspire my confidence---the Hong Kong ones were much better built IMHO.

I recollect that my local ACE hardware still stocks Aladdins.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:07 PM

best lamp of its type read the instructions
Old 03-26-2019, 12:54 PM

I see there are collector's forums at least for the Dietz lanterns. I usually have decent luck finding good durable lamps used at thrift stores, flea markets and other similar places.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:27 PM

Is the question about using such lamps for DP, or if the lamps are collector items?

Is kero a popular fuel for DP? I suspect not.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:39 PM

Aladdins are collectible, I have one that would fall into that category, the other is plainer but I use both as emergency lighting. I use refined kerosene and keep it in the container until I'ts needed. I can fill the lamps by battery light.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:45 PM

I have three cold-blast lanterns (what people call Hurricane Lamps) - one is a Dietz Blizzard (7/8th inch wick), the other's a Blizzard Jr (1/2 inch I think) the other's a no-name clone of a Dietz Comet. Think of the Comet as a night-light.

They get used from time to time. Sometimes for legit power-out scenarios like hurricanes or other grid oopsies, and sometimes just for the ambiance of it. Because I love that light.

I love my lanterns, they're a reminder of childhood camping and of brown-outs and power-outs

I want a couple of Aladdins, they make beautiful light and are gorgeous on the own right. They do cost as much as a nice gun tho

I grew up in Puerto Rico in the 70's and 80's, and our power grid has always been the suck.. throw in political shenanigans, and you end up knowing how to wick, trim, fuel and run lamps by age 8. Coincidentally the same age I shot my first shots from a .38 Police Positive.

I run my lamps on walmart petroleum lamp fuel (not the parrafin stuff used for liquid candles. Don't ever use that.) I used to run straight kero but that's nasty indoors. The Walmart stuff burns almost odorless. This gets confusing because Brits call Kerosene "Parrafin" but what we call parrafin will burn yellow and dimmer than kero.

I also have a couple of 1/4 inch round wick lamps I use a lot as accent lights. These are lovely little lights.

I come from a time and place where kero light was sometimes your only light (up in the hills in PR, for example) so I have a special place in my heart for any kero light.. but not for coleman hisssssssssssssss pressure lamps.

You know what's a real good memory? Me, my uncle, a few friends, a table lit by kero lamps, the aroma of whisky, rum, cigar, pipe, kero, hoppe's bore cleaner all mixed together, everyone cleaning their guns from the day's plinking (that's what we called putting holes in road signs, trash cans and blowing up every beer bottle we saw).

Last edited by Old Grey Hare; 03-27-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:25 PM

I bought my "fancy" Aladdin piecemeal, a amber Lincoln drape font, a #23 burner, a Loxon chimney, spider for the shade and a milk glass shade. I keep a Ebay search for Aladdin lamps, pieces parts and portions bookmarked. My folks had a lake cottage in Michigan and had a brass Aladdin wall mounted in the living room for power outages. Good memories there as well.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:30 PM

I have a kerosene lamp with a silver mirror, a nice keepsake from my mom's family, that also serves double duty during power outages.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:58 PM

We have several, they come out during power outages every so often, they can usually be bought pretty cheap if a person shops around. (reproductions that is).If Lehmans is still in business, they used to sell several types.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:14 AM

Oh man, surprised NO ONE has mentioned lamp oil yet. Kerosene indoors should be a non-starter, lamp oil is the way to go.

I have about five oil lamps (and a Dietz Wizard with a red lens, which IS a kerosene lamp), and I use non-scented lamp oil in them, which is basically paraffin. They still do smell a bit, but nothing a normal scented candle can't cover.

I'm really happy with the ones I got, I got them from a company called Vermont Lanterns. They sell some quality (and wife aesthetic-approved, very important) lamps and lanterns. I have both round and flat wick styles, and I've found the flat wick doesn't get consumed as quickly, to a degree.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumWill View Post
Oh man, surprised NO ONE has mentioned lamp oil yet. Kerosene indoors should be a non-starter, lamp oil is the way to go.

I have about five oil lamps (and a Dietz Wizard with a red lens, which IS a kerosene lamp), and I use non-scented lamp oil in them, which is basically paraffin. They still do smell a bit, but nothing a normal scented candle can't cover.

I'm really happy with the ones I got, I got them from a company called Vermont Lanterns. They sell some quality (and wife aesthetic-approved, very important) lamps and lanterns. I have both round and flat wick styles, and I've found the flat wick doesn't get consumed as quickly, to a degree.
Thanks for the link and source. I have a couple of oil lamps but it's nice to have a new source.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:00 AM

Olive oil and hemp twine. Safer and multifunctional.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:08 PM

i love the old style lamps but don't have any . only candles
Old 02-16-2020, 11:29 PM

W.T. Kirkman has the parts for Aladdin and Dietz, also a good write up on which fuels are safe to use.
https://www.lanternnet.com/

About lamp oil/kerosene etc...
https://www.lanternnet.com/faqs.htm

Last edited by John Joseph; 02-17-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:07 AM

I also have and run a few Perfection heaters in the garage and for backup emergencies at the house. Just a big lantern for heat's sake.

Pocket = LCP w/Crimson Trace
IWB Appendix = Walther PPS
IWB = S&W 1911PD
Old 02-17-2020, 06:57 PM

I hope y'all have a wrench to shut off your natural gas supply---a gas leak and an open flame ain't a healthy combination.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
i love the old style lamps but don't have any . only candles
Get some! They aren't expensive.
My local ACE carries Aladdin lamps.
WT Kirkman has Dietz Blizzard lanterns, arguably the best of it's type IMHO.
Colemans are available at yard sales/swap meets pretty cheaply
All give more useful light than candles and will never need batteries
Old 02-18-2020, 03:07 PM

I cant imagine not having at least a couple of Dietz lanterns for power outages. I used to collect them and once had close to 60..just the tip of the iceberg (diff. models, font sizes, lamp colors, very few duplicates). If you shop ebay or antique shops, you will pay outrageious prices. Garage sales, etc. Five bucks...high end 10 should get you a good us eable one, if you don't worry about old paint, etc.
Aladdins put out a great deal more light. You can actually read by them, about 60 watts worth, but they require much more care and time lighting properly. They go for much more than a good Dietz, but are more intended to be a permanent fixture either hung or in the middle of a cabinet/ table, and are much more fragile. As our camp is off grid, we are very redundant on light. Mounted and plumbed Pauline propane wall lamps, then Coleman propane bottled lamps, followed by the aladdins then Dietz...then we get to the flashlights!