General question on selling out of state? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-17-2020, 12:09 AM
Banned

General question on selling out of state?

I know a gun being sold out of state has to be shipped to an FFL.

What if someone buys and pays for a gun. It ships to the FFL and they are denied on the background check? Does the gun get shipped back to an FFL in the seller’s state and the buyer gets a refund? I suppose a refund minus shipping and FFL fees?

Just curious. Haven’t tried to sell anything but thinking about it.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:52 AM

I will only sell a gun on a face to face transfer as there is just too much that can go wrong selling out of state IMO...such as you pointed out, your buyer being denied and then you've got your gun stuck in another state. Or the buyer gets the gun and he doesn't like something on it and then claims you misrepresented it...so now he wants his money back plus his DROS and you've got to eat shipping costs, the return DROS, etc. Then there is the whole issue of how you handle payment and making sure you get your money. It just isn't worth the potential hassle IMO but I know others feel differently.

My advice if you are going to sell out of state is to state your terms VERY specifically and clearly up front. Say in your ad that if the buyer fails his background check then HE eats his dros and that HE will need to pay for return shipping. But that doesn't mean he'll hold up his end. Because at the end of the day, it's still YOUR gun and it's in another state. Also, are you entitled to some type of deposit? You likely passed up sales to other people and that should account for something?

I'm curious to hear what others say and how they insulate themselves from the possible problems. Change my mind!
Old 02-17-2020, 06:18 AM

Just use Gunbroker.....it’s all locked up in their fine print. Make sure you take very good pictures. Dood on the other end can’t say you misrepresented anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2020, 06:42 AM

The previous 2 posts pretty much cover it. Doing a consignment sale with a LGS can get complicated also I’m told, but know people do it. I traded a shotgun to buy another shotgun at a LGS.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:14 AM

When you sell your firearm you have the buyers $$. It is up to the buyer to sort out the details of the sale on their end. The receiving FFL must "vet" the buyer before accepting the sale!

I have bought and sold handguns in state FTF, as well as FFL to FFL and private to FFL. The key is communications. I've even sold 2 custom PPC revolvers to Honolulu, HI!

(The only "failure" was with UPS! The S/A 1911 was stolen while in shipment from GA to WA. I went into "COP mode"! Apparently it's easy for their employees to change the "ship to" label to a shill address! What I found out during my "investigation" will make your head explode!)
Old 02-17-2020, 10:17 AM

Shipping, mailing, sending, etc etc is rife with risks, problems, & additional costs.

If you live in or near a large city I'd just post it on Armslist for free. It's a FACE TO FACE sales site.

Put NO SHIPPING and FFL TRANSFER ONLY in your ad to weed out the majority of bozos. The place I meet the buyers is in my truck in front of the shop.

I've already told the guys inside that I'm meeting a buyer then we will come in to do the transfer. Choose a shop where they can see you out there.

I vet the buyers on the phone first by having a relatively long conversation on the PHONE (not text/email) about guns & shooting. Clowns & flakes show themselves pretty quickly.

Never had a problem & there's no fees involved. Buyer pays transfer costs.

People who complain about this FACE TO FACE site are usually breaking the rules by shipping guns. No, I don't feel sorry for them. The warnings are right on the site.

I'm also still in contact with a few different Good 'Ol Boys I've met selling guns this way. One recently bought a '59 F100 from me.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:37 PM
Banned

I did pick up a few good ideas reading these replies. I’m not ungrateful. I thank everyone that responded, but what happens if the buyer is denied? Does he get a refund minus the shipping fees? Does the out of state FFL return the gun to the seller?

I’m curious. Thanks all
Old 02-22-2020, 02:49 PM

Back the bus up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strayshot View Post
I did pick up a few good ideas reading these replies. I’m not ungrateful. I thank everyone that responded, but what happens if the buyer is denied? Does he get a refund minus the shipping fees? Does the out of state FFL return the gun to the seller?

I’m curious. Thanks all
These issues must be resolved prior to agreeing to the sale. The FFL doesn't have a horse in the race.

You have received payment! It's just weird that a buyer would send payment if there was a chance that they would be denied!

If the buyer isn't vetted and denied, the FFL will charge you to return the firearm.

Regards,

Last edited by jjfitch; 02-22-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:57 PM
Banned

Thanks, jjfitch.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
These issues must be resolved prior to agreeing to the sale. The FFL doesn't have a horse in the race.

You have received payment! It's just weird that a buyer would send payment if there was a chance that they would be denied!

If the buyer isn't vetted and denied, the FFL will charge you to return the firearm.

Regards,
And the original seller should deduct all fees from any refund offered to said buyer.

And i'd round it up to the nearest hundred just for the hassle.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:33 AM

There should be a clause in there that says, “If you are stupid enough to make a payment and cannot pass the paperwork, you forfeit your money, and the weapon becomes the property of the FFL”. That’ll help out the LGS a bit and keep a gun out of the hands of a dumb ass!
Old 02-24-2020, 10:02 AM

Dude, there's SIX MILLION people in Missouri. There's no way you cant find a local buyer for your gun unless:

1. It's over-priced / undesirable junk

2. It's an incredibly rare piece with only the tiniest niche market (Prussian Pinfire / $6,000 Custom)

3. You are only getting scammer interest (see number one)

But if the gun is a decent & at least somewhat popular one , at a fair price, advertise & sell it to a local buyer. No need to fish in distant waters on this unless there's something weird going on.

For example: My buddy is asking me to sell his 2005 BMW 5 Series for him. They made tons of these cars.

So I will advertise it at the going rate, and sell it, locally.

That said I will get offers from Nevada, Florida, and all kinds of other states & perhaps, countries.

But WHY???????????? They don't have any BMW's in Florida???? It makes no sense. I don't drive to Miami to buy toilet paper. Why go far for this?

Brother, Just sell it locally and forget this shipping crap. It's just not worth it.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:46 AM

Just go to North St. Louis....then again, they’ll just take it, and your shoes.