Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I imagine that it's very expensive replace a new car's Airbags.

So perhaps it would be wise to install some cheap airbags, from a wrecking yard, and keep your nice bags at home in a safe.

Because we all know, that when that Mack Truck jackknife's across the median, airbag replacement costs are out first concern.
The corollary to that is that you should replace your airbags with ones sewn together using solid gold thread... because naturally they must be better.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPS1911A1 View Post
We don't give any thought what would happen to our prized handgun if it has to be taken into evidence should we have to defend ourselves.
Those of us that have our priorities straight don't give this a thought.

You choose the most reliable gun that you shoot the best. Maybe that's a $500 Glock. Or maybe it's a $3000 Wilson. I've got a Wilson sitting on my nightstand. And if the police take it after it gets done saving my life and the lives of my family, they can keep the damn thing for all I care.

And it will still be the best money I've ever spent.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPS1911A1 View Post

That got me to thinking about how much we spend for an EDC. We want the best we can afford. We don't give any thought what would happen to our prized handgun if it has to be taken into evidence should we have to defend ourselves.
I would not carry a gun I could not afford to replace. But, then again, I would not BUY a gun I could not afford to replace. EDC's are NOT the only guns that can end up in an evidence locker thanks to these insane Red Flag laws.

As far as police dept damage...if a gun saved my life (or someone else's), that case number etched on the frame would be like a badge of honor, that pistol would be even MORE "prized" than it was before!! If it was stolen, my insurance will have replaced it long before it found its way into an evidence locker...if it ever does at all. If I got it back I'd dump it for cheap. Thieves probably did more damage to it than the police.

Either way, I don't give it much thought...much like I don't give much thought to a heart attack while I'm eating a Tomahawk Ribeye. I just enjoy the steak one bite at a time.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:21 AM

This thread got me to thinking about the four guns in my carry rotation. I'm pretty certain that if I total up the retail LGS price I paid for each over the years I 'might' make a grand total of $1500, which to ME is a quite significant sum. Others are quite comfortable (and financially capable) of spending that much and more on a single firearm, and good on them says I. When I win the lotto I'll eagerly join your fraternity.

Buy what fits YOUR realistic needs and budget and the heck with what others say. I often post that these are great times to be a 'gun nut'. A myriad of positive choices at all budget levels exist both online and at brick & mortar stores, and capable reviews on most all of them are just a Hickok45 youtube vid away. lol

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-15-2020, 07:19 AM

I buy and carry what I like and can afford.

I don't give any thought of it being seized as evidence in a self-defense shoot. If I come out alive it was worth the cost. I can buy another.

That's not to say I carry $5K Wilsons. I can't afford those. I do carry some pricey post war Walthers, German made SIG-Sauer, and HK pistols.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:26 AM

Don't know if it's true in all jurisdictions , but I've heard if you are involved in a shooting , ALL your firearms will be confiscated till the DA/court/judge says you can have them back.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
Don't know if it's true in all jurisdictions , but I've heard if you are involved in a shooting , ALL your firearms will be confiscated till the DA/court/judge says you can have them back.
Trying to make a blanket statement about what WILL happen happen after an SD shooting is an exercise in futility. There are dozens of variables thatmust be factored in. Its impossible to state with any authenticity what "will" occur....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-15-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Not true. Only the one used would be impounded (not confiscated) until the Court says, which means when the case is No Billed.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 02-15-2020, 08:25 AM

What cracks me up about this thread is the implied idea that the posters in this thread have only one pistol!
Old 02-15-2020, 08:30 AM

I want an accurate, reliable gun. That will require that the manufacture has good QC and cares about there product. That's good enough for me. It doesn't mean that there firearm is expensive but probably not real cheap either. To name a few { I know this is a mistake} Sig, Kimber, Kahr, Colt, S&W,SA and I'll throw in RIA. Any gun, even a Wilson for instance, needs to be shot enough to prove it's reliability before it gets promoted to a carry pc. I think if a person was in a real self defense situation they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Wilson and a RIA as long as they both went bang. If the bad guy was hit I doubt he would know the difference either..
Old 02-15-2020, 08:31 AM

I'll carry whatever I see fit for the circumstance.
If I had an irreplaceable heirloom or very high value gun that would stay in the safe.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:54 AM

I am in the process of “proofing” a Dan Wesson ECO which I bought used recently, then plan to carry. I have several other guns that I have carried and do carry regularly. The ECO is not exactly a “high-end custom” but even used, the ECO almost costed more than any three of the others.
BUT, at least on the range, I can put .45’s on target more quickly and accurately with the ECO than 9mm’s, .38’s or .380’s from the others. That matters to me. Whenever I go to the range I can pretty much count on being able to shoot any of my 1911’s better than almost anything else in the range bag that day, so I was looking for a 1911 to carry.
I am happy with size/weight, accuracy and speed. Once I am just as satisfied with reliability it will displace the others for the most part, at least as far as carry time.
So, apparently what’s important to me, in no particular order:
Size/weight (“carryabilty”)
Accuracy
Speed
Caliber
Reliability
Apparently cost, at least for me, is somewhere below this list of other considerations.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
Not true. Only the one used would be impounded (not confiscated) until the Court says, which means when the case is No Billed.
I'm sure that will change under proposed 'Red Flag Laws'.

Also , I have seen guns that have been returned to owners that had case , docket or evidence numbers electro-penciled into them.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:53 AM

$300-$1000.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
I've got a Wilson sitting on my nightstand. And if the police take it after it gets done saving my life and the lives of my family, they can keep the damn thing for all I care.

And it will still be the best money I've ever spent.
As long as that's your true feelings it's not an issue. The problem I see is that some guys will carry their vintage 1930's National Match out of nostalgia (or because it's so damn cool), then when the police show up at the 7-11 parking lot and yell for them to drop their gun (on the concrete) they hesitate for a moment. That can and will get a person shot. Just make sure there truly is NO emotional attachment to your defensive firearm. Don't carry your expensive collectible, don't carry your cherished family heirloom, and don't carry a gun that cost you so much that you cringe at the thought of dropping it onto the ground and kicking it over to the police.

Quote:
Usually that will only happen if you've been arrested and face charges. Police normally cannot confiscate anything that isn't considered possible evidence that may be tied to the incident. Having said that, if you live in New Jersey or some other anti-gun Hell-hole it wouldn't surprise me if the authorities didn't give a damn about your property or your rights.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:33 AM

I agree with some that EDC guns are expendable.....however...if my 1k to 2k "nicer" 1911's have to be used for SD and get confiscated...I guess it was worth my life. Cant put a value on that.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-15-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
As far as police dept damage...if a gun saved my life (or someone else's), that case number etched on the frame would be like a badge of honor, that pistol would be even MORE "prized" than it was before!!
I feel the same way. If it saved my or my family's life it would become a family heirloom if I could get it back.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-15-2020, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Of course sometimes getting it back can be more trouble than its worth. Don't forget George Zimmerman, who was about to get his Kel-Tec PF-9 returned when Trayvon Martins family flipped their lid again and went on TV protesting the idea that the "murder weapon" was going to be given back to Zimmerman. In the end he did get it back, but then he promptly sold it at auction, making it the most expensive PF-9 ever sold.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT77 View Post
$300-$1000.
Interesting. What happens above $1000?
Old 02-15-2020, 07:35 PM

You need to spend whatever the gun you feel will be best for your needs costs
Old 02-15-2020, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post
You need to spend whatever the gun you feel will be best for your needs costs
Correct. Find a pistol with a known good track record, in a decent caliber, that fits you well, that you can shoot well, and that you can easily carry. Only then should you look at the price tag hanging on it.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_TX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT77 View Post
$300-$1000.
Interesting. What happens above $1000?
In some cases, you can contract SAD. Spousal Advanced Derangement. Symptoms can range from prolonged loneliness to death.

Last edited by shooter59; 02-15-2020 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-15-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
In some cases, you can contract SAD. Spousal Advanced Derangement. Symptoms can range from prolonged loneliness to death.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:09 PM

I spend as much money as I deemed needed to get me a gun that I think would meet my needs for EDC. That gun(s) is a snubbie of some sort. Usually a SW J-frame. Sometimes I get a wild hair and wound break out the old Colt Agent for higher capacity. If I felt like I needed a ditch gun then I’d take the Ruger LCR.

I’m saving my ultra badass pistols like the FNX45Tactical with red dot and laser pointer for the apocalypse. Or Islamic terrorist attack. Or Hells Angels/MS13 raiding my village.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

My perspective - spend what you can afford that you are willing to stake your life on, whether it is striker fired, hammer fired, revolver, or semi-auto. If it's comfortable but you can't shoot well with it - for self defense it is a complete waste of money whatever the cost; if you can't afford it, or it is not comfortable to carry, don't buy it for carry. Get a good gun belt, a good holster, and carry what works BEST for YOU. Cost, as long as it is in you affordability, is not a significant deciding factor. For some of us that is $5k, for some it is $400 - it is about what you shoot well and can afford. The most important thing is get the training to find out what works and what doesn't for YOU.

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)