No Kimber anymore - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-14-2020, 02:41 PM

No Kimber anymore

I bought a brand new Kimber gold match II ONLINE. The first surprise was the spring housing cracked! They just allowed it out of factory like that? The second surprise was it’s made of plastic! When I called them, they seemed pretty proud of this innovation! Ok, the third surprise was they said it’s bought online. So no warranty! WOW! Since when online shopping is a problem? I bought it from a store online and it’s brand new! So no warranty?! No Kimber anymore! Unfortunately, I owned 5 Kimber 1911s. Time to move on.
Attached Thumbnails
DAF92BED-83EF-4766-A960-21F62EEC5F38_1581712832845.jpeg   54FE86EC-B64A-4368-AC77-2D811F5556A6_1581712849226.jpeg   53F615B4-C2DA-4226-83E3-9314836D3C87_1581712859585.jpeg  
Old 02-14-2020, 02:46 PM

Polymer mainspring housing are fairly common and have been around for at least a couple of decades. Generally, they work pretty well.

There are a lot of replacement options available.

I haven't bought a gun on-line, yet. I'm sorry to hear about your issues with Kimber and the warrantee. Your story doesn't make me want to start buying on-line either.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:54 PM

If you didn't know that Kimber uses paoy mainspring housings, and you already have 5 of their pistols, you're a rather uninformed consumer. ...
If it arrived from the seller with a cracked MSH, why aren't you talking to him- he's the one that sent out a broken product....
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 03:13 PM

The MSH is a low stress part and like all things in manufacturing can get missed during QC.

It's too bad Kimber didn't take the opportunity to earn your esteem as a customer.

If we start a thread for all the "plastic" found on guns it would go on for weeks!

Full disclosure: I've been looking for a black polymer arched MSH for a Colt for over a year.

All the best,
Old 02-14-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
The MSH is a low stress part and like all things in manufacturing can get missed during QC.

It's too bad Kimber didn't take the opportunity to earn your esteem as a customer.

If we start a thread for all the "plastic" found on guns it would go on for weeks!

Full disclosure: I've been looking for a black polymer arched MSH for a Colt for over a year.

All the best,
You want mine? It's leftover from when I had my gun worked on
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-14-2020, 03:22 PM

Most online dealers tell you to inspect the firearm before you do the transfer and accept it. I bought a Kimber online and after a few hundred rounds the slide stop broke. Called Kimber, gave them serial # and they had a new one in the mail that day. I could have replaced it myself but it was the principle and they took care of it. I think I would place a phone call to Kimber.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:33 PM

Maybe I’m wrong......but if you’ve bought five, there must be something you like about them?

If everything else checks out, I’d have them send me a new one, BUY an all steel one, put the steel housing in your pistol and blast away.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
How about G10 https://www.hogueinc.com/accessories...gs/1911gov/g10
Old 02-14-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penn1911 View Post
I bought a brand new Kimber gold match II ONLINE. The first surprise was the spring housing cracked! They just allowed it out of factory like that? The second surprise was it’s made of plastic! When I called them, they seemed pretty proud of this innovation! Ok, the third surprise was they said it’s bought online. So no warranty! WOW! Since when online shopping is a problem? I bought it from a store online and it’s brand new! So no warranty?! No Kimber anymore! Unfortunately, I owned 5 Kimber 1911s. Time to move on.
Did you buy it online from an FFL that is a dealer... like Bud's or Top Gun?

Or did you buy on-line from a private party that decided to resell his gun?

The reason is that if it is the first case, Kimber might be liable for a warranty repair under Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (1975) 15 U.S.C. 2301. Plus your state may also have legislation regarding factory warranties. Resales are not covered by Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

It is something to think about when buying items on the resale market.

Basically, the Federal code states that manufacturers of consumer products (a gun sold to the civilian market is a consumer product) must state the terms of warranty repair. It can be anything, including "no warranty" or "limited warranty" etc. But if they publish what warranty they have, they must comply with their own terms. Secondly, some states have laws that set a minimum time like 90 days or 1 years from purchase date. Also if a manufacturer claims they provide no warranty, some States have laws that impose a minimum warranty.

The theory is that manufacturers that produce goods for the consumer market must perform as they were intended. The government doesn't want companies making and manufacturing products that are fake... i.e. toasters that simply don't work, TV's that don't work, etc.

But this is only if you bought from a dealer NIB. Kimber may have the right to limit warranty repairs to the first retail buyer.

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...#Magnuson-Moss

Last edited by PolymerMan; 02-14-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:49 PM

For me it is no more Kimber IIs that have the Swartz type mechanical firing pin safety in them. The only one of those I have is a 2005 Grand Raptor I bought new in 2005. It stays in my shooty collection as my only example of Kimbers mechanical firing pin safety. It also has the Kimber external extractor. It is also a very pretty pistol.

The plastic MSH cracked on it several years ago. For about the same price Kimber wanted for another plastic one I bought a SS Wilson that did take some fitting but looks close to original. It is odd that I have Colts that have their Nylon composite MSH that go back to 1988 and have never had any problems with a Colt composite MSH cracking.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:05 PM

I bought it from a dealer online. I thought it’s brand new so I trusted Kimber and I didn’t pay very close attention to the details. Yesterday I wanted to count my guns... somehow I noticed the cracked part. I did called Kimber. They asked me the pictures and ORIGINAL RECEIPT which is weird. After I sent they said online purchase is not under warranty! LOL
Old 02-14-2020, 06:10 PM

Nothing but blatant extortion to get you to buy from a brick and morter master dealer only.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I bought it from a dealer online. I thought it’s brand new so I trusted Kimber and I didn’t pay very close attention to the details. Yesterday I wanted to count my guns... somehow I noticed the cracked part. I did called Kimber. They asked me the pictures and ORIGINAL RECEIPT which is weird. After I sent they said online purchase is not under warranty! LOL
There is nothing in Kimber's written warranty that excludes online purchases of new guns from warranty coverage.

I'm guessing the English-challenged idiot CS rep you dealt with may have assumed that you purchased the gun from a private party rather than an FFL. Or he may just be too stupid to understand that there's no substantive difference between purchasing a new gun in person at a brick-and-mortar store or online from an FFL when it comes to the warranty.

Call Kimber and ask to speak to someone further up the chain.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:41 PM

The Colt Delrin mainspring housing is a substantial part, better than other brands' "composite."
I'll see if I have an extra, jfitch.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Colt and Kimber both use nylon/Delrin mainspring housings in their basic models. They've been doing so for the past 20 years at least. Cracked housings are rare, but they do happen. Fortunately they're a $10 part so replacing them is no big deal.

I also agree that the CS rep who said your pistol isn't warrantied is either an idiot or misunderstood you. There is no legal difference between buying from an online FFL and one in your own hometown. The pistol is still new and unused until it passes to the first owner who fills out the 4473 form.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:07 PM

Called Springfield for M1A screws, no questions, no prob. Called Marlin to replace an 1895 trigger, sent right away.

Take care of your customers and they’ll likely laud your great service on forums and stuff. Give them the runaround and that’ll happen too.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:32 PM

I would call back and talk to some one else
Old 02-15-2020, 09:04 AM

Jim Watson is correct the Colt brand Derlin MSH is a lot better than the Kimber brand and they will fit the Kimber just fine.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:25 AM

OP, take it up with the online seller. Maybe they can send you a new MSH or deep discount on aftermarket. Magwell?

Kimber is spitting into the wind on the brick & mortar thing, but if I'm a dealer with an actual shop the support is refreshing.
Betting the high volume online sellers get warranty support though.

NRA Life Member
RSO
Old 02-15-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I bought a brand new Kimber gold match II ONLINE. The first surprise was the spring housing cracked! They just allowed it out of factory like that? The second surprise was its made of plastic! When I called them, they seemed pretty proud of this innovation!

The plastic?

Or the crack?
Old 02-15-2020, 04:48 PM

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1305219161
Here's a polymer Kimber mainspring housing for ~$21.

Some people have mistaken the "swirls" in the polymer for being a crack, when it's just the slight difference in coloring within the polymer MSH.

The thread's original post is a whole lot of whining for Kimber's alleged bad customer service.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:53 PM

Kimber does one thing well. The high gloss ads on the back of most gun mags.

That's about it.....
Old 02-15-2020, 06:41 PM

You bought a used gun however you did not buy it on the internet technically. You ordered it on the net and paid for it when you ordered it but you got it from the FFL that did the transfer. The question is whether or not it was a used gun, the internet has nothing to do with it. That part can't cost much, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill, I suspect you were rude to Kimber. They would normally just send the part out.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:03 PM

When I buy a 1911 with a plastic MSH, I just automatically replace it with one made of steel. Problem solved before it happens.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
When I buy a 1911 with a plastic MSH, I just automatically replace it with one made of steel. Problem solved before it happens.
When I buy pretty much ANY 1911, the MSH gets replaced. Arched MSHs are rare as hens teeth on factory guns now.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams