Alchemy Custom Prime Elite 9mm - Mini Review - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-11-2020, 07:53 PM

Alchemy Custom Prime Elite 9mm - Mini Review

I received my Alchemy Custom Prime Elite in 9mm from https://www.migunslingers.com yesterday. It had arrived at my LGS on Saturday, barely 48 hours from when I ordered. George from Gunslingers got the pistol in the mail the same day that I called. He was also very pleasant and knowledgeable when we spoke on the phone. Gun arrive well-packaged and in perfect shape with all the paperwork, including the test target.

I've put approximately 400 rounds through it so far. The rounds were a mix of S&B 115 gr. FMJ and 124 gr. FMJ, Federal American Eagle 124 gr. FMJ, and S&B 150 gr. subsonic truncated cone. Everything shot excellent tight groups at 15 yards. The trigger is a true pleasure, crisp and light (but not obscenely light).

As others have reported, fit and finish are superb. It definitely looks like a fine firearm, comparable to even more expensive offerings from other makers. I am very pleased with it overall, compared to my Les Baers and a Nighthawk (which was sold.)

I am somewhat reluctant to discuss cycling reliability on a brand-new 1911, but I will do so, with the caveat that I understand it doesn't mean much yet.

Twice, I had to give the rear of the slide a very gentle nudge to get it back into battery. Perhaps that was me, but it never has happened with many thousands of rounds through my Les Baers. I feel like the recoil spring may be slightly lighter than on my 9mm Les Baer because I perceive the slide to return perhaps more slowly and/or less forcefully. I do realize that strength of recoil spring can be both a preference thing and may need to be altered to match choice of ammo. Thus, this isn't a criticism, just an observation.

Next, once I had to help the slide close on the first round of 147 gr. truncated cone. I should point out that my Les Baer 9mm would never go into battery on first round of 147 gr. truncated cone. However, I tried the Alchemy Custom magazine in the Les Baer and it did go into battery, so that may be all it is.

My preference would have been for a Bomar fully-adjustable rear target sight and a plain black front sight, but this gun was ready to go with fixed sights, including a gold bead, and I didn't want to wait. I figure sights can always be changed later. Still, I was able to get groups about as tight as any I can get with a pistol at 15 yards. The issue is that the groups are both about 4 inches high and 4 inches left. The elevation difference could be the distance, but I am not sure. Also, though I can't say so with complete confidence, I think the front sight is just a smidge right of center. With the rear U-shaped notch being large for tactical purposes, I can center the groups if I put the gold bead slightly below the top and to the right. I am going to shoot the pistol some more before making any decisions on the sights.

Despite the above observation, which should be taken with a grain of salt, as it could all be user error, it's a great gun and well worth the price. I am confident that Rob from Alchemy would quickly take care of these things if they don't take care of themselves with a little more shooting.

I have enclosed a photo below, but it doesn't do the gun justice. In the photo are two thin squares of foam that are connected to each other. They came in the outer pocket of the range bag, along with a packet of desiccant. Anybody know what they are for?

Clarification: That is just an old pistol rug, not the range bag, in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
image0.jpeg  

Last edited by FullySupported; 02-11-2020 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-11-2020, 09:57 PM

That is a great looking pistol, I have a Prime Elite ordered in 45. I went back and forth in my head between a 45 or a 9MM. In the end the 45 won out, but a 9MM with a extra 38 Super barrel would be nice.
Being a <1" gun I would think it needs a couple hundred rounds through it to even things out.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodII View Post
That is a great looking pistol, I have a Prime Elite ordered in 45. I went back and forth in my head between a 45 or a 9MM. In the end the 45 won out, but a 9MM with a extra 38 Super barrel would be nice.
Being a <1" gun I would think it needs a couple hundred rounds through it to even things out.
I am sure you'll love your 45 ACP. I am fond of 45 ACP and have plenty of pistols chambered for it, including a Les Baer Premier II with 1.5" at 50 yards guarantee. I believe 45 ACP is a great self-defense/tactical/combat round. I enjoy shooting it at the range too. It is just that I really love to shoot. Perfectly adequate 9mm can be had for $8-$9 per 50-round box and 45 ACP is more like $12-$14 per box. When you calculate that I shoot between 1,200 and 1,800 rounds per week nearly every week, the price difference starts to matter.

I know I could reload to save some money, but it would be a lot of time to do and wouldn't save me so much over factory 9mm, so there I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 11:41 PM

Very nice. I'm currently considering getting an Alchemy Prime Elite in 9mm for my next 1911. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:46 AM

You must have jumped on one of the pistols that became available on the website. Congrats!
You did exactly what I intend to do when I get mine... put a lot of rounds downrange in a very short time.

Last edited by 1911_Bandit; 02-12-2020 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:41 PM

Thank you, guys, for reading my mini-review. I love shooting, so I shoot a lot. Thus, an update should be coming before too long...
Old 02-14-2020, 01:12 PM

If you want, I can replace your .175" tall front sight with a .185" tall front. I have a bunch of them incoming. It's as simple as Priority Mailing your slide to me. I will have to refinish your slide but that's no big deal to make sure the gun is shooting POA for you.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:10 PM

Rob, thank you for suggesting that. I want to shoot it some more before I do anything. Also, and of course for a fee, I might talk to you about changing the style of sights.

As I mentioned in another thread, I put >125 rounds through it today and everything ran flawlessly through it. Round-nose FMJ: S&B 115gr, S&B 124gr, Remington UMC 124gr, Federal American Eagle 124gr. Truncated Cone FMJ: S&B 150gr.

It a pleasure to shoot and good-looking. Between the beaver tail and the notch under the trigger guard, I can notice that I am able to hold it a little higher, which may partly account for smoothly and softly it shoots.

For everyone else out there, please remember that point-of-impact vs. point-of-aim is a subjective thing that can vary between shooters and is probably more about me than the gun.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:58 PM

Congrats! I saw that gun on George’s site right after I placed an order with George for a new ACW in their Charcoal Blue. I was still tempted to buy yours because Alchemy’s blued Prime looks so good but you beat me to it. Sounds like you are enjoying it and and I am impressed how Rob stepped up to help you dial it in.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTom View Post
Congrats! I saw that gun on George’s site right after I placed an order with George for a new ACW in their Charcoal Blue. I was still tempted to buy yours because Alchemy’s blued Prime looks so good but you beat me to it. Sounds like you are enjoying it and and I am impressed how Rob stepped up to help you dial it in.
Thank you! The reports of the excellent customer service were nearly as important in my choice as the reports on the guns themselves.

When I called George about the gun, it occurred to me that the gun might sell fast, so I decided to buy it before hanging up. It seems like that was a smart move, if I don't say so, myself.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:54 AM

Great choice of pistol .
Old 02-19-2020, 08:27 PM

I am excited to pickup my 9mm prime tomorrow. It may go back for a fiber optic front sight and magwell, maybe not!
Old 02-19-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJM7288 View Post
I am excited to pickup my 9mm prime tomorrow. It may go back for a fiber optic front sight and magwell, maybe not!
I am sure you'll love it. I've really been enjoying mine. I will likely change the sights on mine, but I thought that when I bought it, so that is just me.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:35 PM

Fully Supported,

What is the slide to frame fit like on your Prime Elite? Does it rattle if you shake it? I had the same experience needing to nudge the slide into battery a couple times in the first 250 rounds. By the time I finished shooting today my Prime was a rattler when I shook it.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by JJM7288; 02-22-2020 at 07:44 PM.