First day carrying - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-12-2020, 11:20 AM

First day carrying

So I finally got my carry license in the mail on Friday and Iím going to carry for the first time ever this week. Do you guys have any tips for the first day of carrying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2020, 11:27 AM

Don't expect anything at all. It will be a total Non-Event.

It's just like a regular day but with some extra weight added.

Unless you carry openly, then you will get a few looks. That's about it.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:36 AM

What magazineman said. But don't be constantly, nervously checking to see if your firearm and holster are secure, not showing,etc.

I'll bet BozMon would get a few looks carrying openly in Illinois. SWAT team time maybe?
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 11:37 AM

You will think your gun is huge and everyone can tell you are carrying. They can’t. get a GOOD belt and a quality holster, no $15 EBay crap. You will be glad you spent the money.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:38 AM

First day carrying

Yea I donít think open carry would go over too well here.

Iím sure itíll be non eventful but I need to get past the first few times just because Iíve never done this before

Edit: Iíve had my belt since November. I bought that ciguera gun belt or whatever itís called and I have a nice holster. Iíve been planning for this day since the day after I took the ccw class.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozMon View Post
So I finally got my carry license in the mail on Friday and Iím going to carry for the first time ever this week. Do you guys have any tips for the first day of carrying?

Carry everyday, no matter what, provided it is legal to do so. Don't fall to the advise of "no metal dectector, gonna carry even though prohibited". Be lawful at all times.

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 02-12-2020, 11:45 AM

Enjoy the new legal freedom - it is your RIGHT to be able to defend YOURSELF and your immediate loved ones.

You are NOT now a LEO. They get paid to protect the public at large. You are allowed to protect yourself IF in imminent danger. Avoid danger whenever possible IMHO.

Will people see the gun under your jacket/shirt/whatever? NOPE - the average citizen out there buried in their cellphone wouldn't notice if your were riding a giraffe, let alone if there was a slight bulge in your garments.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-12-2020, 12:39 PM

Welcome to the club. Absolutely spend whatever it takes to get a belt and holster that are comfortable and holds your gun securely so you are not constantly checking it. Do not try to save money on a good belt. People can easily spot a new carrier if they are constantly reaching back and checking their rig (cops are very skilled at noticing this). Most people that have carried for years have a box of holsters that just didn't work out for them ( I have one). Keep trying - eventually you will find the setup that is right for your body and your gun. Talk to other people who are carrying a gun the same size and weight as yours. You will get used to all of this stuff in time. Go to the 30dollargunbelt website. I am using one now and it is very high quality leather and hardware for the price.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:55 PM

I would recommend wearing it two weeks beforehand at home to get totally used to it and do some dry handling and draws too.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-12-2020, 01:15 PM

Get good training from a qualified instructor before you start carrying.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 02-12-2020, 02:00 PM

If it is anything there like here in your neighboring state, no one will really notice and if they do, they won't care.

I realize Illinois is a bit different. Just carry safely, and get in the habit of being armed.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:16 PM

Keep in mind that you are perfectly legal carrying and don't worry about it. Go about your business as before because nothing has changed. You are legally carrying so there is no reason to be worrying someone might see you print. As others have said, they won't.

Practice, practice, practice your draw (unloaded of course) and presentation. Do it with the different clothes you will actually be wearing. First, it teaches you to be consistent and to draw and present without having to think about it. Practice each day until it becomes a fluid, natural motion.Don't just stand and practice in one spot and for one continuous draw, holster, repeat, sequence. Do some of that then take a break, walk around the house, then suddenly do a draw and present. See if your hand goes right to the gun or is it off.

Second, do the practice with each type of cover garment and in whatever layers you might have them in. Just changing from one type shirt to another can eff up your draw. Can you clear the garment, get a good grip on the gun, AND actually get it out and presented without hanging up. I have some guns and some shirts that just won't work well together. Yet I can have a similar sized gun and it flows like nothing with the same shirt and carry position.

You may be feeling pretty confident when practicing only with one type of cover garment. Change to a different shirt and you suddenly find you don't get the garment off the gun as well each time and fumble the draw. Figure if you fumble more than a few times now, when you're having that adrenaline dump of a real world event you will be even less likely to do it well then. That could make your first live fire event you last.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-12-2020, 02:38 PM

So-----at some point you will have to "sit down" with your pants down by your ankles!

Yup, nobody practices this little "duty"!

I've heard several versions of this task. What to do with your EDC? It's not at all graceful trying to keep it holstered while doing the above. What I do is grip it as everything is going down. Once down un-holster and place thing inside my right pant leg. Once the task is completed reverse the order.

Your process may be different. The main thing is dominion and control. Resist placing your gun on a shelf or anything else. It's just too easy to leave without it.

My son is a restaurant manager and has collected numerous handguns left in stalls. One a LEO's. All were returned to their respective owners but had to be turned over to the local authorities in the process!

All the best,
Old 02-12-2020, 03:10 PM

Yes, time to start competing and/or training because if you're carrying, you have a responsibility -- to yourself and others -- to be as proficient as you can be.

Training with an instructor is well and good but has to be followed up with consistent practice, applying what you learned. Shooting skill has to be kept sharp with regular, frequent reps.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
This x10^
Old 02-12-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter59 View Post
This x10^
It's great advice, but it's only the beginning.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Sage advice, though its much more difficult to define or quantify "good" training and "qualified" instructors.... but that's another subject.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-12-2020, 03:26 PM

There are tons of people out there who think they're qualified to teach shooting, and far fewer who actually are.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunBugBit View Post
There are tons of people out there who think they're qualified to teach shooting, and far fewer who actually are.
Winner! And there's plenty of skilled, knowledgeable shooters who don't know how to teach , which is a skill into itself. I don't care if one spends 15 years as a CAG shooter or world class gun gamer- it doesn't mean one has been taught to teach- though the former most likely spent at least a few years as an instructor of some sort.
Neither are "teaching" and "training " necessarily synonymous. The latter implies a quantifiable assessment of the students mastery of the known or skills.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-12-2020, 04:16 PM

Iíve been trying to go to the range once a week to get some sort of muscle memory going. Iíd love to find a good instructor and have a day class. I was also thinking about doing one of those 3 gun competitions but I donít think thereís anything near me

Old 02-12-2020, 04:37 PM

My first day I felt sure everyone was watching and knew I had a firearm. I felt very self-conscious. The fact is, no one noticed. After a week you will feel like you are missing a piece of clothing when you are not carrying.

Got my first carry permit way back in the 80's when the local sheriff issued them. It was only good for the Parish (county) but it was very comforting to have.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:46 PM

More than ever avoid trouble or confrontation. Don't imagine yourself a hero.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunBugBit View Post
Winner! And there's plenty of skilled, knowledgeable shooters who don't know how to teach , which is a skill into itself. I don't care if one spends 15 years as a CAG shooter or world class gun gamer- it doesn't mean one has been taught to teach- though the former most likely spent at least a few years as an instructor of some sort.
Neither are "teaching" and "training " necessarily synonymous. The latter implies a quantifiable assessment of the students mastery of the known or skills.
That's my issue, I have a hard time getting people to shoot acceptably since it's hard to describe the process to them for me. Certain people "get" how I teach but others just don't
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 02-12-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
That's my issue, I have a hard time getting people to shoot acceptably since it's hard to describe the process to them for me. Certain people "get" how I teach but others just don't
There's a science to teaching, particularly with adult learners. I've been primarily teaching at the JFK Special Warfare Center and School for 7+ years. Over that time, I've spent hundreds of hours as a student, learning to teach both physical skills and graduate level academics, refining those skills, learning how to develop training and instruction, evaluating other instructors, and leading instructors...
Different people learn in different ways; developing a POI that engages all of the learners styles is an art form. Mastering how to keep student comprehension and retention at acceptable levels takes time... I could go on for pages, but nobody wants to hear me pontificate endlessly.
Sadly, it doesn't take anything to hang out a shingle as a "firearms instructor", and embroider the polo and ball cap.... It takes only very slightly more to becomes an NRA "instructor"- my dog could get that cert, but for the want of an opposable thumb.

Hence, finding a "qualified" instructor and "good" training isn't so similar....
Old 02-12-2020, 08:02 PM
Administrator

You haven't told us what you plan on carrying or how you intend to carry. Remember safety first. If it's a striker-fired pistol without a safety it might be a good idea to carry chamber-empty for the first few months until you know you've got your muscle memory down pat. You definitely don't want to perforate yourself taking the gun on or off of your person. Make sure you're using a quality holster that covers the trigger guard. STAY AWAY from those cheap fabric $14.99 holsters that collapse when you remove the gun. As pro-2A as I am I think those things need to be banned as they're an accident waiting to happen.

Make sure you understand the laws of your state regarding the carrying of firearms, and follow them. Also be sure to get knowledgeable on the rules of engagement as a civilian. You are not a cop, which means your use of deadly force is to be applied only as a last resort and even then you should break contact with your assailant whenever possible. Don't be one of those numbnuts who shoots somebody just because they were pushing you around or because of an argument that you started.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.