230 gr fmj rn ? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-03-2020, 12:56 PM

230 gr fmj rn ?

This is not my first time here and I don't visit very much. I reload but not in mass numbers. I do not have a lot of experience but for now I know enough to get me by. I recently bought some .45 acp bullets that have me riddled. These are a new product that I purchased from eveglades ammo. I have only used rainier but now as most of you know they went out of business, I think. My confusion is that these bullets will not pass a plunk test even with a crimp until around the 1.230 mark in both my sr1911 and springfield ro. Could this be an out of spec bullet? Total length is roughly .653 - .654. Diameter is good right .451. I did measure the ogive with the biggest headspace guage I have a Hornady 420 and compared them to some new xtremes in .45 acp plated and they are roughly .030 longer than the xtremes. The xtremes will pass a plunk test all the way out to max col. What I am worried about is having the short 1.230 col and still be close to the rifling. At 1.230 these bullet still have more room for deeper seating without going the ogive or cyndrical part of the bullet. these bullets weigh just under 231 grains. Some advice or experience with this would be helpful for me because now I have 1000 of these that I do not really know I should try and use.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:22 PM

Welcome, if the diameter, weight, & length, check out. I'd seat them as you did, & use the STARTING load in your manual. I'd load 5 to try, if they work well, I'd load 10 more to try, if all goes well, I'd creep up in powder charge NEVER exceeding maximum.
Good shooting.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:15 PM

I would not worry over the OAL you needed to get a successful "plunk." I doubt if the bullet is out of spec, rather it is just the design of this bullet, so you need to adapt your loads to it. You already found what "fits" the chambers of your pistols (every bullet/chamber combination is unique), now follow the advice above and work up your loads to get the velocity, accuracy, or whatever your objective may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 05:47 PM

Thank you for the thoughts. I knew being this forum is based on the 1911 pistol that I could find some honest opinions or advice. I went with the Lee second edition on this one using 231 and starting at 4.4 gr. then 4.6 and made 7 each for both pistols. Hopefully my new sr1911 feeds reliably now that I had to adjust the tension on the extractor.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:28 PM

Just curious what would this show with your new 230 FMJ. Put seating die in the press, place loader round with your Rainier or Xtreme 230 gr bullet. Turn bullet seating stem down to touch your bullet. Then seat your new 230 gr. bullet in a case without moving the seating die. Measure the oal. Bet it'd be close to 1.230". The nose profiles makes overall lengths vary with blunt tipped versus more pointed tapered tips. The seating stem will touch different bullets at different points on the nose but at the same diameter. I check seating depths of various rifle and pistol bullets this way. For instance seating FMJ versus hollowpoint bullets.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:30 PM

Check back & let us know about your progress. I'm pretty sure you'll get it!
Old 02-03-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg1 View Post
Just curious what would this show with your new 230 FMJ. Put seating die in the press, place loader round with your Rainier or Xtreme 230 gr bullet. Turn bullet seating stem down to touch your bullet. Then seat your new 230 gr. bullet in a case without moving the seating die. Measure the oal. Bet it'd be close to 1.230". The nose profiles makes overall lengths vary with blunt tipped versus more pointed tapered tips. The seating stem will touch different bullets at different points on the nose but at the same diameter. I check seating depths of various rifle and pistol bullets this way. For instance seating FMJ versus hollowpoint bullets.
I never thought of it like that. I learned something. But yes are correct, the difference in seating depth was pretty close the difference in bullet lengths which was about .007. 1.230 versus 1.237 That was with an xtreme .646 in length and the other .653

Last edited by myrc; 02-03-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:27 PM

The other day when I was loading, grabbed the wrong die and ended up seating my Berry's 230gr RN to 1.22. loaded a full 50 batch and decided to try them out. I actually ended up loading 50 each of 1.22, 1.23 & 1.25, didn't have a single FTF or cycling issue. That made me feel pretty good that my Springfield Defender will eat almost anything within some tolerance. My buddy didn't have an issue with any of them as well in his Kimber Custom.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
I would not worry over the OAL you needed to get a successful "plunk." I doubt if the bullet is out of spec, rather it is just the design of this bullet, so you need to adapt your loads to it. You already found what "fits" the chambers of your pistols (every bullet/chamber combination is unique), now follow the advice above and work up your loads to get the velocity, accuracy, or whatever your objective may be.
^^^^ This.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:44 PM

myrc

no mention of a tapered crimp?
That is equally important. You have a taper crimp die?
Old 02-06-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfut808 View Post
myrc

no mention of a tapered crimp?
That is equally important. You have a taper crimp die?
Exactly. If you're not using enough crimp you can get a failed plunk test or feeding problems if you're not removing the bell or flair on your cases.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc View Post
This is not my first time here and I don't visit very much. I reload but not in mass numbers. I do not have a lot of experience but for now I know enough to get me by. I recently bought some .45 acp bullets that have me riddled. These are a new product that I purchased from eveglades ammo. I have only used rainier but now as most of you know they went out of business, I think. My confusion is that these bullets will not pass a plunk test even with a crimp until around the 1.230 mark in both my sr1911 and springfield ro. Could this be an out of spec bullet? Total length is roughly .653 - .654. Diameter is good right .451. I did measure the ogive with the biggest headspace guage I have a Hornady 420 and compared them to some new xtremes in .45 acp plated and they are roughly .030 longer than the xtremes. The xtremes will pass a plunk test all the way out to max col. What I am worried about is having the short 1.230 col and still be close to the rifling. At 1.230 these bullet still have more room for deeper seating without going the ogive or cyndrical part of the bullet. these bullets weigh just under 231 grains. Some advice or experience with this would be helpful for me because now I have 1000 of these that I do not really know I should try and use.
It appears the OP is crimping the round, although he doesn't say to what degree. I agree that insufficient crimp can cause plunk test failure and feeding problems.

NRA Life Member
Old 02-12-2020, 01:08 AM

Not to hijack the thread but I have an SA Operator and purchased 100 of the 230gr Everglades FMJ's to try. I also have to seat the bullet deep to pass the "plunk" and gauge test. I found they pass for me at 1.230" OAL with a 0.469" crimp. I'm starting on the low end of powder charge probably around 4.6gr of w231. OP, I'd be interested in where you end up!

Last edited by bbuhlman; 02-12-2020 at 10:10 AM. Reason: correction to crimp measurement
Old 02-12-2020, 04:24 AM

I use extreme 230gr plated bullets, and when loaded, the cartridge's oal is around 1.255. However, I have seated the same bullets with an oal of 1.26 and had no problems whatsoever, though, I do like to keep the oal at 1.25-1.255. I just make sure that I crimp enough to remove the flare and they always pass the "plunk test".
Old 02-12-2020, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuhlman View Post
Not to hijack the thread but I have an SA Operator and purchased 100 of the 230gr Everglades FMJ's to try. I also have to seat the bullet deep to pass the "plunk" and gauge test. I found they pass for me at 1.230 OAL with a 1.469 crimp. I'm starting on the low end of powder charge probably around 4.6gr of w231. OP, I'd be interested in where you end up!
Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure your stated crimp is a typo, and I'll guess you meant 0.469". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

NRA Life Member
Old 02-12-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod View Post
Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure your stated crimp is a typo, and I'll guess you meant 0.469". Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Doh, you are correct, I did mean 0.469. Thanks for the correction!
Old 02-19-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuhlman View Post
Not to hijack the thread but I have an SA Operator and purchased 100 of the 230gr Everglades FMJ's to try. I also have to seat the bullet deep to pass the "plunk" and gauge test. I found they pass for me at 1.230" OAL with a 0.469" crimp. I'm starting on the low end of powder charge probably around 4.6gr of w231. OP, I'd be interested in where you end up!
The everglades fmj were of a different design than I am used to. I have worked my way up to 5.1 gr w231 so far. They cycled fine . I tried. 6.2 of cfe today and it worked well. A little%tel more pop than I am used to, but accurate at 10 yes. I use w231 most of the time

Last edited by myrc; 02-19-2020 at 11:21 PM. Reason: The
Old 02-19-2020, 11:31 PM

My feeding issue has disappeared since proper setting of tension to the extractor. The pistol sr1911 went back to Ruger once but they did not touch the extractor all they did was a little polishing. Works flawless now.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:41 AM

I reload for 4 semi-auto calibers and just use the book OAL for the first few test rounds. I will lengthen the OAL until they no longer plunk then reduce until I get a good consistent plunk. I then measure and record this length and it's my "standard" for that cartridge. If my OAL meets the book OAL, cool, if not, oh well, they work in my guns quite well...
Old 02-20-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
I reload for 4 semi-auto calibers and just use the book OAL for the first few test rounds. I will lengthen the OAL until they no longer plunk then reduce until I get a good consistent plunk. I then measure and record this length and it's my "standard" for that cartridge. If my OAL meets the book OAL, cool, if not, oh well, they work in my guns quite well...
========
I use a similar process. I like to get the bearing surface as close to the rifling as possible, yet still fit and feed in the magazine/gun.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:17 PM

The fmj in question is the most accurate bullet in round nose I have loaded. But I have not hand loaded thousands and thousands either. 😎