Virus outbreak - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-31-2020, 07:38 PM

As long as you have a Colt Python and plenty of ammo.

You should be OK.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
You should be OK.
It better be an old one cause the new ones don't work
Old 01-31-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post

<snip>

Many medical people feel as "Flight Medic" does, that is nothing but a "cold". Since I read the same thing on another form from a poster whose wife is an RN, with a Master's in Nursing. She, and all the medical people she works with want to know what the big deal is? It's just a cold.
</snip>
OK, you make it sound like I was comparing this to the "sniffles". I WAS NOT.

The message I was trying to get across was, if you're generally in good health, the Coronavirus WILL NOT KILL YOU, and there's no need to "hunker down".

However, I never implied there weren't deaths directly related to the strain, or that there wasnt concern for certain regions of the globe or specific demographics of the population. This is a nasty virus that WILL wreak havoc on a compromised or weakened immune system.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:52 PM

The pacificovirus is the one to watch out for
Old 02-01-2020, 08:23 AM

Common sense precautions are good. Panic is bad.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:20 AM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/u...r-harvard.html
Old 02-01-2020, 12:44 PM

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-patients.html

Quote:
Clinical Presentation

There are a limited number of reports that describe the clinical presentation of patients with confirmed 2019-nCoV infection, and most are limited to hospitalized patients with pneumonia. The incubation period is estimated at ~5 days (95% confidence interval, 4 to 7 days). Frequently reported signs and symptoms include fever (8398%), cough (76%82%), and myalgia or fatigue (1144%) at illness onset. Sore throat has also been reported in some patients early in the clinical course. Less commonly reported symptoms include sputum production, headache, hemoptysis, and diarrhea. The fever course among patients with 2019-nCoV infection is not fully understood; it may be prolonged and intermittent. Asymptomatic infection has been described in one child with confirmed 2019-nCoV infection and chest computed tomography (CT) abnormalities.

Risk factors for severe illness are not yet clear, although older patients and those with chronic medical conditions may be at higher risk for severe illness. Nearly all reported cases have occurred in adults (median age 59 years). In one study of 425 patients with pneumonia and confirmed 2019-nCoV infection, 57% were male. Approximately one-third to one-half of reported patients had underlying medical comorbidities, including diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease.

Clinical Course

Clinical presentation among reported cases of 2019-nCoV infection varies in severity from asymptomatic infection or mild illness to severe or fatal illness. Some reports suggest the potential for clinical deterioration during the second week of illness. In one report, among patients with confirmed 2019-nCoV infection and pneumonia, just over half of patients developed dyspnea a median of 8 days after illness onset (range: 513 days).

Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) developed in 1729% of hospitalized patients, and secondary infection developed in 10%. Between 2332% of hospitalized patients with 2019-nCoV infection required intensive care for respiratory support. Some hospitalized patients have required advanced organ support with invasive mechanical ventilation (410%), and a small proportion have also required extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO, 35%). Other reported complications include acute cardiac injury (12%) and acute kidney injury (47%). Among hospitalized patients with pneumonia, the case fatality proportion has been reported as high as 1115%. However, as this estimate includes only-hospitalized patients, and therefore is biased upward.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:04 PM

I don't think we need to "Panic", but America DOES need to exercise "Due Caution" and Honor The Threat.

If we don't, we run the danger of a repeat of the 1918 H1N1 Pandemic.
That killed 50 Million People and sickened 500 Million.
With a third of the worlds population sickened and 6% of the worlds population killed by that pandemic, a similar result would mean that 2.57 BILLION People would be sickened and 462 MILLION will die.

We don't need a repeat of that.

For some decent information, go to:

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-ch...U5qFySKx0pi11w

Quote:
While CDC considers 2019-nCoV a serious situation and is taking preparedness measures, the immediate risk in the U.S. is considered low, based on what we know. Everyone should always take simple daily precautions to help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses.

To learn more about prevention, see https://bit.ly/37Ay6Cm.
Attached Thumbnails
E1ACD736-D631-4A96-AE4C-C7605CA288BE.jpeg  

Last edited by NonHyphenAmerican; 02-01-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Xkre0GOFU
Old 02-01-2020, 10:07 PM

There isn't A coronavirus. It's a class of viruses that were discovered in the 1960s. Most are usually a nasty respiratory infection but not all that dangerous. This is the latest and maybe the worst of the bunch, the Novela Coronavirus or 2019-nCoV. It does have two somewhat well known cousins that appeared over the past decade or so. MERS and SARS.

I find the CDC infographic somewhat ironic now that the FDA said to stop advertising the alcohol based hand sanitizers are killing the flu and a few others since that would mean it's a drug and not properly tested.

Last edited by Unicorn; 02-01-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:51 AM

Looks like there's some hope on the horizon with a promising treatment:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cocktail-...124753996.html
Old 02-02-2020, 03:21 PM

Yeah, this ain't 'the big one' but with the overcrowding in the 'live in filth' areas of the world, the big one is coming. Those who hope to survive the 'big one' should prepare for it pretty much as they would prepare for any other planet-wide event. One of the best things you can do is learn how to be self-sufficient and relocate to a sparsely-populated area, like the Yukon or something. Old bastards like me will sit it out, hoping to pop a few looters before meeting our end.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:37 PM

Never really drank a lot of foreign beers. I am glad to be a Pabst Blue Ribbon Guy. I have no worries here in Alabama.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:24 AM
Banned

china is a communist country.. they hid the fact that the peoples revolution after ww2 slaughtered 10s of millions in the name of political correctness.

If china says 1,000 died,,,, id multiply by 3.

remember the chinise olimpics.... they destroyed an entire ecosystem, diverted entire rivers for the summer water events, and displaced 2 million people, and it only got perhaps 3 paragraphs online.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistema1927 View Post
Common sense precautions are good. Panic is bad.
yes common sense is a decided factor to follow here.

If it wears a sports uniform and kneels,,,, it gets shot.

It if shuffles, wears a face mask and coughs.... it gets shot.

if it wants to raise taxes,,, it gets shot. Hell, if just talks about being from government it should be shot on site. gotta stop the infection somehow.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:58 PM

Valid, Accurate, Recent information.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...C2e2MDaECEonCw
Old 02-06-2020, 10:43 AM

Local Update

The 2 students tested negative. Only took a week when cdc say 48 hours LOL. Things around town are back to normal
Old 02-06-2020, 05:36 PM

Apparently, it's now in India. With their population and living conditions, it may now be unstoppable.

https://www.aninews.in/news/national...0200206223440/
Old 02-06-2020, 06:20 PM

We are already starting to see the black drones flying around.

They can take the body temperature of you from 726 meters away.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:30 PM

From the Wall Street Journal:
By Stu Woo
Updated Feb. 9, 2020 1:36 pm ET
SAVE
PRINT
TEXT
BEIJING—The death toll from the new coronavirus outbreak has now surpassed that of the severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, epidemic nearly two decades ago, as the number of fatalities topped 800.

China’s health commission said it recorded a single-day high of 89 deaths from the coronavirus on Saturday, bringing the total number of those killed to 811 people in mainland China.

The outbreak of SARS killed 774 people after its emergence in southern China in 2002 and 2003, mostly in mainland China and Hong Kong.

The coronavirus now surpasses SARS in both the number of confirmed cases and fatalities. China’s cabinet-level National Health Commission on Saturday confirmed 2,656 new cases of infection, down from 3,399 on Friday, to bring the total to 37,198. SARS infected 8,098 people during its outbreak.

TRACKING THE CORONAVIRUS

Eighty-nine people died in China on Saturday, pushing the death toll to 811.
The death toll from the outbreak has now surpassed that of the SARS epidemic nearly two decades ago.
China confirmed another 2,656 infections, bringing the total to 37,198.
VIEW IN DEPTH
Authorities also said hospitals released 600 patients who have recovered from the virus on Friday, raising the overall count of discharged people to 2,649.

Most of the infections and deaths from the coronavirus, which like SARS causes respiratory illnesses, occurred in Wuhan and surrounding Hubei province, a region of almost 60 million people that Chinese authorities have locked down in an attempt to halt contagion. Sick patients there have overwhelmed hospitals, which have reported shortages of supplies such as oxygen and protective equipment.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:57 PM

Well. I guess this is going to seriously damage the Chinese mail order bride business for a while. Probably the whole Asian MOB business as well.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-09-2020, 10:16 PM

I have a business associate in Hangzhou, China. He says out of 8 million in his city, 165 have caught the virus, no deaths. Says 20K or more have caught the virus in Wuhan which is a population of 9 million. Says hundreds have died and the hospitals can't handle it. Says doctors form other cities are risking their lives to go there and help. I heard they built an entire new hospital in Wuhan in something like one week and they're cremating 300 people a day.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketshaver View Post
yes common sense is a decided factor to follow here.

If it wears a sports uniform and kneels,,,, it gets shot.

It if shuffles, wears a face mask and coughs.... it gets shot.

if it wants to raise taxes,,, it gets shot. Hell, if just talks about being from government it should be shot on site. gotta stop the infection somehow.
You start...I'll watch.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:35 AM

So what is the worse case scenario?

Are you prepared for being quarantined for 17 days, if necessary?

Do you have a Plan B for travel plans that involve being in high density populations?

If you should come down with symptoms, how will you seek treatment without exposing everyone else in the urgent-care?
Old 02-11-2020, 03:58 PM

Plan A is not to go to dinner with Chinese people.

The coronavirus was traced to a strain found in bats. It is believed that the strain jumped from wild animals to humans in the Wuhan exotic meat market.

Enjoy the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW5e...ature=youtu.be