Disappointed in the changes for STI in 2020; RIP STI - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-01-2020, 05:08 AM

STI guns....

I bought an STI 2011 .38 super many years ago for USPSA competition.....I still have the gun, and am on my third barrel with compensator. However, I changed to 9mm for my current barrel, since it is entirely feasible to make 9mm Major reloads that are accurate and function properly in my STI Tru Bore barrel..... The 9mm barrel is less expensive to operate because 9mm brass is cheaper than .38 super, and I find a great deal of 9mm brass at my gun range. I seldom pick up brass after a competition, since most all of my competition handguns are mostly 9mm..... I still use my .38 supers for self defense, and like bullets that leave the muzzle at 1,300fps.....

I have always thought STI 2011 guns were "pricey!" Once the patent ran out on the STI 2011 steel receiver, I started purchasing STI type frames and components to build my own guns for competition and self defense.... I use mainly Kart or Bar Sto W/N ramped barrels, and my guns shoot very well with all bullet profiles.....I like and use JHP bullets since they are more accurate. For self defense, I like Speer Gold Dot bullets that offer excellent expansion, and Hornady XTP bullets are my other option.....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 02-01-2020 at 05:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
I have always thought STI 2011 guns were "pricey!" Once the patent ran out on the STI 2011 steel receiver, I started purchasing STI type frames and components to build my own guns for competition and self defense..
I find it slightly ironic that now that the patent is expired and now that there are more manufacturers of the 2011 frame, the guns being built today are more expensive than ever.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_mays View Post
I find it slightly ironic that now that the patent is expired and now that there are more manufacturers of the 2011 frame, the guns being built today are more expensive than ever.
Before I got my Staccato P DUO I was debating getting a 2011 from TRIARC Systems.

Basically I wanted the gun below but with a threaded barrel so I'd be able to use my suppressor. As built that pistol is $3,400. I used their gun builder option to make that same gun but with a threaded barrel and it came out to over $3,500.

Hard for me to justify spending an extra thousand dollars on a gun just to have a thread barrel.

https://triarcsystems.com/product-ca...-double-stack/

Old 02-02-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art23 View Post
why would removing the grip void the warranty. That is just odd, no??
On the single stacks, the attachment point up front is different and essentially has to be broken. I'd imagine it was a lot easier to simply apply that language across the board than call out specific models from a legal perspective.
Nice people fall to the manipulator. The manipulator crumbles under the assertive. The assertive shrinks before the aggressive. The aggressive have no plan for the assaultive. The assaultive are unprepared for the homicidal.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye fan View Post
Before I got my Staccato P DUO I was debating getting a 2011 from TRIARC Systems.

Basically I wanted the gun below but with a threaded barrel so I'd be able to use my suppressor. As built that pistol is $3,400. I used their gun builder option to make that same gun but with a threaded barrel and it came out to over $3,500.

Hard for me to justify spending an extra thousand dollars on a gun just to have a thread barrel.

https://triarcsystems.com/product-ca...-double-stack/

Brought to you by the same guys who sell a $1600 P365.

Theyíre glock guys who wanted to get into the 2011 market and their guns look like it.

Iím not knocking them as Iíve never handled one of their guns but Iíll remain a bit skeptical until theyíve spent a little more time in the market.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:17 PM

I got my first STI in 2000. Foolishly sold it. Then, in 2007 I got one again. I am glad I kept this one.
I agree, Staccato sounds weird. I prefer the old nomenclatures.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:44 PM

Looks like they are holding a Q&A tomorrow @ 1800 Central to discuss the lineup, changes and questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartian View Post
Brought to you by the same guys who sell a $1600 P365.

Theyíre glock guys who wanted to get into the 2011 market and their guns look like it.

Iím not knocking them as Iíve never handled one of their guns but Iíll remain a bit skeptical until theyíve spent a little more time in the market.
They are local to me, but I'll keep doing business in Georgetown. Marketing sexy photos works, obviously. ZEV is still selling tons of OZ9 pistols with plenty of documented failures.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:00 AM

Iíve actually heard a lot of good things about Triarc, especially their rifles

Old 02-07-2020, 07:53 PM

I really want a threaded barrel for my P. or C2.

*sigh*
Old 02-08-2020, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowser View Post

*sigh*

They said in the livestream that it is something they are looking at

Old 02-09-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowser View Post

*sigh*
You can always send it off to another smith to have one fitted.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:36 PM

As posted in the other topic below, the sti we all knew and appreciated, is simply gone.
From all mim , cheap parts, to lousy warranty, the company has purged its soul and core beliefs, for bottom line $.
Itís America, and money talks the rest walks, but staccato is a very very different firearms company. Glad I sold all my sti pistols last year.good riddance.
And There are several other companies who make great 2011s for the money.
NHC -PRESIDENT
NHC- 2x BOB MARVEL-STD, & RECON.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:38 PM

Just to name a few, bul, ck, atlas, and the Olympus of them all - svi INFINTY.
NHC -PRESIDENT
NHC- 2x BOB MARVEL-STD, & RECON.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:04 PM

Just picked up my 1st STI today. Grabbed a Staccato C. It’s already cut for an optic. Cannot wait to start breaking it in.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
As posted in the other topic below, the sti we all knew and appreciated, is simply gone.
From all mim , cheap parts, to lousy warranty, the company has purged its soul and core beliefs, for bottom line $.
Itís America, and money talks the rest walks, but staccato is a very very different firearms company. Glad I sold all my sti pistols last year.good riddance.
Ozy, I have not heard anything about MIM or Cast parts. Can you tell us more about this?

Specifically, Did they use any MIM or Cast parts on the Gen1 Staccato line or DVC line? Which MiM and Cast parts are they using now?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:29 PM

I just picked up my Staccato XL today. I have not shot it yet, hopefully tomorrow if the rain holds off. This is my 4th STI in the last 10 years.

Just from handling the pistol, the slide is as smooth and precise as any I have ever held. The 2.5# trigger is perfect. Fit and finish are perfect. It looks to be everything STI has ever been. The Gen 2 grips are fine. Love the Dawson fiber optic sight. Love the Dawson tool-less FL Guide rod. Field stripping is simple.

I don't think STI is going away.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:39 PM

I'm interested in the Staccato XC which is comped and optic ready. I've never fired a red-dot on a pistol so that would be new.

Question, since these have plastic triggers, when you fire these, does the plastic trigger vibrate and sting your finger like Glocks do to me?
Old 02-12-2020, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpaxton View Post
I'm interested in the Staccato XC which is comped and optic ready. I've never fired a red-dot on a pistol so that would be new.

Question, since these have plastic triggers, when you fire these, does the plastic trigger vibrate and sting your finger like Glocks do to me?
I have a DVC Carry Host 9mm model from last year. It does give a little trigger bite. Everyone that shoots it notices it. My older Range Master does not.

My DVC has never failed to feed, eject, or fire with any kind of ammo. Very accurate. I have a Trijicon RMR on mine with 1 MOA dot. It is plenty big and bright enough for any conditions. Glad I did not go bigger.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
With the intro of the Staccato nameplate, STI announced they're not using mim or cast parts in the C or the P. I have heard of nothing about a swap back to cheap parts in these models or others.

Got a source?
Nice people fall to the manipulator. The manipulator crumbles under the assertive. The assertive shrinks before the aggressive. The aggressive have no plan for the assaultive. The assaultive are unprepared for the homicidal.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Not at all. I don't have an XL but an L and 2 Ps. Very soft on recoil, very solid overall, wouldn't be concerned about the trigger material.

Maybe a classic all steel 1911 fan won't like them but to me the combination of steel and polymer in the frame and grip gives the perfect balance, weight, and feel.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Not at all. The trigger barely moves back and forth at all from firing to reset. You can't compare a 1911 trigger to a Glock trigger with a dingus in it.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
No trigger bite. They use a plastic trigger for its weight to get a lighter trigger pull and faster reset.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
With the intro of the Staccato nameplate, STI announced they're not using mim or cast parts in the C or the P. I have heard of nothing about a swap back to cheap parts in these models or others.

Got a source?
I am also very interested to know where he got the MIM parts information. I sold my 2019 Staccato P to fund a precision rifle build, but I was considering replacing it down the road. Now I'm not so sure STI is still STI.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
I am also very interested to know where he got the MIM parts information. I sold my 2019 Staccato P to fund a precision rifle build, but I was considering replacing it down the road. Now I'm not so sure STI is still STI.
I asked the same question above days ago! No response from OZY and he has posted in other threads since. Pretty sure we can ignore his statement about MIM and Cast parts. STI/Staccato does not use them. The only 1911/2011 pistols I have seen in this price range with any Cast or MIM parts are the Springfield Professional 1911s from their Custom Shop. Other than that, it seems anything in the 1011/2011 world starting at Dan Wesson and above are free of MIM and Cast parts.

There is a good reason not to use Cast or MIM parts in a 1911/2011. The gun was designed to use Forged Steel Parts. This is not a Glock; which is a great example of a gun designed to use MIM and Cast parts. In different gun designs, different parts are stressed during operation. Most of the key parts in a 1911, are subject to more stress than similar parts in a Glock. Same is true when looking at a FN Hi Power...

Before discontinuing the Hi-Power pistol, FN experimented with MIM and Cast parts for the small parts for years in order to try to bring the cost of making a Hi Power down. But they could not get these parts to be consistently reliable. Same is true for the 1911 design.

You may buy an inexpensive 1911 with Cast & MIM parts, and it may be perfectly reliable for years. On the other hand, you may get one that is not. That is the consistency problem with MIM and Cast parts in 1911s. Sometimes these parts hold up, sometimes they don't. Not worth taking a chance.

Last edited by Harrish; 02-13-2020 at 02:24 PM.