Rütli Shooting - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-02-2020, 06:54 AM

Rütli Shooting

Last October I was invited for the first time to shoot the Rütli Shooting. It is a 50 meters pistol shooting competition with Swiss Ordnance pistols only, for shooting associations, 8 team members 15 shots per shooter.

The Rütli meadow is where the Swiss confederacy was first established

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rütli

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rütlischwur

It was a very nice day, blue skies, a little wind, and a nice outing with friends, although I was a little frustrated to travel 300 miles to shoot 15 rounds only.

Despite its historical significance, it’s a very small unimpressive meadow

There are over 900 shooters. 40 targets are set up, so 5 associations or clubs shoot in each series.

However the ground is far from flat, so the shooting line slopes downwards whereas the targets go upwards

Only the first few targets are level with the shooter, for the rest of us, you’re shooting upwards to your right.

I was on target 32 with my Waffenfabrik Bern Parabellum 06/24 (Swiss Luger) caliber 7.65 mm Parabellum (.30 Luger) made in 1922

I’d say over 90% were using SIG P210, with a few Lugers and a couple more modern SIGs. The Luger is marginally more accurate than the 210 in my hands.

The local kids come and pick up the empty cases

The youngsters are also in charge of paddles and scoring

Last edited by CLASSIC12; 02-02-2020 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:00 AM

Wow! Not what I expected by the title but a very cool post with great pics. Thanks for posting all this!
Old 02-02-2020, 07:02 AM

Rütli Shooting

My scores

Not mine but a similar target. The center is 10 cm in diameter (4 inches), the 4 (2nd circle) is 20 cm

When it’s all done it a big party of music, food drinks and comradeship in addition to the whole scores reading (that takes a while), as well as patriotic speeches etc..

Most shooting clubs fly their flags

And the winner gets a brand new P210 remitted by a Swiss army officer. He shot 68 points out of 75 max.

I almost forgot, they also have the rifle competition a few weeks later. 300 m with ordnance rifles (M or K 11 & 31, Stgw 57 & 90, aka Sig 510 & 550)

This is the shooting line, and the targets are set way up there on the mountain, middle of this picture

Last edited by CLASSIC12; 02-02-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 07:17 AM

That’s really cool, 50 meters? Looks like one of my 10 meter targets
Old 02-02-2020, 08:14 AM

Very nice. Thank you for posting. It is always great to see a match like that. I could not help but notice that no one seemed to be using the two hand hold that is taught at shooting schools in the US.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:53 AM

That's pretty cool.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert Cannon View Post
Very nice. Thank you for posting. It is always great to see a match like that. I could not help but notice that no one seemed to be using the two hand hold that is taught at shooting schools in the US.

What is that grip, can you illustrate please ?
Old 02-02-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC12 View Post
What is that grip, can you illustrate please ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMzQIHN-LiI
Old 02-02-2020, 09:50 AM

That's interesting, pretty range.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:37 AM

That is excellent. Beautiful pistols, and a magnificent range too! I wish we had something that down-to-earth around here. Unfortunately, these days, if it's not a 'tactical speed fest' of sorts, in some way, shape, or form, it fizzles out in short order.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Damn, I wish shooting ranges here were that pretty. Normally they're forced to be in the worst part of town or located on land so radioactive nobody can build on it. And then the subdivisions encroach anyway and they want the places shut down because of the noise and danger to their children.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:34 AM

STG-57? Oh my...
Old 02-02-2020, 12:06 PM

Rütli Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Vaccaro View Post
That's interesting, pretty range.
Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
That is excellent. Beautiful pistols, and a magnificent range too! I wish we had something that down-to-earth around here. Unfortunately, these days, if it's not a 'tactical speed fest' of sorts, in some way, shape, or form, it fizzles out in short order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Damn, I wish shooting ranges here were that pretty. Normally they're forced to be in the worst part of town or located on land so radioactive nobody can build on it. And then the subdivisions encroach anyway and they want the places shut down because of the noise and danger to their children.

Well it’s not a permanent range, they just set it up once a year for this event. But we do have mostly nice ranges, on the countryside, with outdoor tables for BBQs and after soothing drinks.

Here’s a local one, 25 & 50 meters pistol

Last edited by CLASSIC12; 02-02-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
STG-57? Oh my...

A very common rifle here, widely available starting at $ 300. Here’s mine at the 300 m range

Old 02-02-2020, 01:27 PM

Swiss gun culture fascinates me. Ya'll seem to all be very professionally dressed, keep your ranges clean and know proper handling. American ranges are ugly, and filled with either old arrogant pot bellied fudds that don't know how to hold a gun, or young people that just mindlessly blast away at dirt mounds, and learn no real shooting skills.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:39 PM

Rütli Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
Swiss gun culture fascinates me. Ya'll seem to all be very professionally dressed, keep your ranges clean and know proper handling. American ranges are ugly, and filled with either old arrogant pot bellied fudds that don't know how to hold a gun, or young people that just mindlessly blast away at dirt mounds, and learn no real shooting skills.

I think a lot of the gun culture derives from the militia army that was very prevalent here, and the discipline that goes with it. Most military ranges can be used by civilian associations, generally run by former military personnel, and therefore the safety and handling rules are very strict. Kids are taught to shoot and handle guns properly from a young age.

That being said, the private ranges are a bit scarier, since they attract a lot of young kids with little experience and not enough trigger discipline. Case in point :

Another one, teaching his daughter to shoot a scoped rifle ... at 5 meters.

Last edited by CLASSIC12; 02-02-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Yup. That's what my local indoor range looked like less than a week after it first opened!
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:38 PM

One again, great post. Looks like a great deal of fun. Glad to see at least some of our European brethren are still interested in firearms and shooting. And Stg 57's at $300.00? That just makes us Americans drool with envy.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Yup. That's what my local indoor range looked like less than a week after it first opened!

This one’s been open for a long time, and will be renovated next week.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:37 PM

Classic12, thanks for a great report!
Old 02-02-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
A very common rifle here, widely available starting at $ 300. Here’s mine at the 300 m range

Even back in the mid-1980s, the PE57/SIG AMT were being sold in the USA for close to $2000. I drooled back then and still drool nowadays.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:49 PM

Great report. Beautiful place to shoot.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 02-02-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
My club. Actually it is even more built up now with ranges that have been added:
https://www.paloaltogunclub.com/
Old 02-02-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
Which are you?