Got my Colt back - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-31-2020, 11:22 PM

Got my Colt back

Finally had my colt sent back to me, had to wait a while due to other circumstances (it was done October last year) but I know have it and lord Wilson did a way better job than I was expecting and went way more in depth than I feel I paid for. More detail to follow later and I have to actually go out and shoot it but for now just handling it is so pleasing, I am absolutely hooked on this whole bluing of guns thing now. It's so nice looking I just stared at it for a few hours honestly.....

Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 01-31-2020, 11:23 PM

Literally can be used as a mirror

Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 01-31-2020, 11:56 PM

That is sharp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2020, 05:44 AM

A Wilsonized blued Colt with a comp.

Now theres something you dont see everyday...

You had me at blued, congrats..
Old 02-01-2020, 06:40 AM

Very nice!!
Old 02-01-2020, 07:39 AM

Very cool. Looking forward to the details and your range report.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old 02-01-2020, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

NOW you understand us blued gun guys!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 02-01-2020, 04:29 PM

Very nice.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:37 PM

Congrats looks awesome...Blues are mesmerizing. PS, if you intend to get into blued for a while get at least one gun in Turnbull-blue, no blued gun collection is complete without one :-). (I have 3 of them if you want to see pics).

Where did the comped barrel come from?
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 02-01-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:45 PM
1911 Aficionado

A disappearing art, bluing.
I've been trying to find someone locally to blue a gun, not wanting to add $100 shipping to the price of the work, and finally found someone, about two hours away.
Seemed like bluing was a bread-and-butter of every gunsmith, in the past.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:23 PM

I love blue guns too. Agree with CA about Turnbull blue. And we haven't agreed much lately. Great photos, but I'd like to see a shot pulled back a bit with a side profile. Looking forward to the write-up too.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I've been trying to find someone locally to blue a gun, not wanting to add $100 shipping to the price of the work, and finally found someone, about two hours away.
Yup, I used to know several gunsmiths in the Seattle area who did bluing. That was 25 years ago. Now I don't know any. To be honest I don't even know any local gunsmiths who actually do GUNSMITHING anymore as opposed to just assembling AR-15s for customers.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Congrats looks awesome...Blues are mesmerizing. PS, if you intend to get into blued for a while get at least one gun in Turnbull-blue, no blued gun collection is complete without one 🙂. (I have 3 of them if you want to see pics).

Yours truly sourced it for $200 used and poorly installed it, I asked Wilson to fix my work since I know for a fact the link/stop area was wrong. It's a Clark .460 Rowland barrel and comp, works extremely well and with .45 it's less recoil than.....well anything really. Problem is ejection is like 1-2 inches at most
Old 02-01-2020, 08:36 PM

The thing that killed bluing was EPA rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Rules for the disposal of the chemicals used in the process are pretty onerous, as they should be. I knew a guy years ago that blued guns and it was disgraceful, the method by which he disposed of his used chemicals.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
I love blue guns too. Agree with CA about Turnbull blue. And we haven't agreed much lately. Great photos, but I'd like to see a shot pulled back a bit with a side profile. Looking forward to the write-up too.
I have a few for you, I need to retake all my usual shots/angles to review it but here are some full shots of the gun for you to show the profile better. I think it looks classy and pairs well with my supergrade but my tastes are still unrefined lol
Old 02-01-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Congrats looks awesome...Blues are mesmerizing. PS, if you intend to get into blued for a while get at least one gun in Turnbull-blue, no blued gun collection is complete without one :-). (I have 3 of them if you want to see pics).

I am going to have too, it's crazy how fun to handle this gun has become. Kinda weird actually since it's not my "best" gun but lord it just looks SO good I love handling it even though I am scared of messing the new finish up
Old 02-01-2020, 11:47 PM

Here are some full profile shots as requested and the guns companion knife, it's a parked blade so not quite the same but I liked it and thought they would go well together.....

I should probably also mention some more about the gun and the work Wilson did, some of you may already know about both counts since a good bit of people here have actually fired this gun before.

The gun is my first Colt 1911, and my first blue 1911, first real government model (no rail or weird stuff) and my first S80 gun. Originally .45 acp, grips are from my dad colt gold cup that he no longer owns. I thought they would be fitting for the style of build and overall look but let me know if thy are stupid. I have 4 other options I could use in their place lol

The gun was reviewed when stock in one of my range reviews, it was okay. I'll leave it at that but you can go read more if you would want to.

I dropped the gun off at Wilson last bash sporting the .460 Rowland barrel that I hacked into the gun to fit (SO much had to be removed from the hood of the barrel to fit the breech face) with my low skill level with 1911s and all. I asked the gun be special high grit polished and in house blued as per Rogers suggestion after handling a few of his guns and quite liking the looks. I also requested a gold bead front, low mount adjustable rear, true GI safety, flat pre-A1 mainspring housing, and to correct anything I messed up when jamming the barrel in there. Bill was $1075 and I was not charged for correcting the barrel according to the invoice.

I ended up getting a hell of finished product and I'm 99% certain I got extras done I didn't ask for or that Wilson is just so ungodly over the top when you ask for a full refinish that it just seems that way. Also the gun is far far more accurate than when I sent it off both in my hands and according to the test target (yet another thing I didn't ask for nor was charged for)

The finish is outstanding, like really I tried to find something wrong but failed. It's so nice I am actually hesitant to take the gun apart, I've never had that feeling with any of my others. Even on my SG I was not this nervous taking it apart, probably since the frame is hard chrome......but anyway point is this thing is beyond what I was expecting.

The freaking bushing that you will never see unless the slide is locked back is perfectly polished and chamfered and looks awesome even though it is covered by the comp 99.8% of the time. I love that type of attention, speaking of the comp itself is blended into the slide now and also has chamfers on its end and is again polished and perfect and I feel bad firing the gun since the muzzle is so so perfect and deep looking. That's the one thing that really really stood out to me since it's not even one of their parts yet it was done with the same attention and they properly reassembled it and also made sure the guide rod was also done and polished perfectly. No extra charge! Most guns don't even have that part at all and they just did it and matched it so perfectly you would never know the gun didn't come that way stock. Even the grip screws were polished and blued to match.....just outstanding. The rest of the gun has been so perfectly de-burred and chamfered it looks and feels just like a factory Wilson 1911, totally beyond expectations.

The thing that is really "bothering" me is that it seems to me that my gun had extra stuff done for free that I didn't ask for, I swear the slide to frame fit is tighter and smoother now. Not Wilson grade but it nowhere near as loose and doesn't rattle at all anymore and has that "glide" feeling. The tigger is also 1.5lb lighter and there is no creep anymore and I can't feel the S80 system anymore somehow? It may just all be in my head........the beaver tail is for certain blended, adjusted, and centered now though, same story with the entire rear of the slide. It's blended now! The extractor is also set perfectly and works unlike how I received it from colt, my barrel is now correctly I believe and feels way better than when I attempted it. Again I may be crazy but these things all seem to have been done free of charge and without me asking, I'm blown away yet again. Wilson is just killing it for me on my last everything really lol! They don't just nail it they go beyond every time, huge thanks to everyone there!

Last edited by Striker2237; 02-02-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:53 AM

^^^Yeah Striker, But do you like it???...
Nothing better than getting over delivered on a product or service.
Cudos to WC.

Again, welcome to the “blued club”
Old 02-02-2020, 06:19 AM

Brad was 100% correct Striker, the close ups didn't give your gun its full due. The full shots of the gun have now changed my opinion from "awesome" to "super-awesome" .That is going to be some shooter!.

Brad now we have 2 things we agree to in a row, there is hope to get our friendship back on track, I do feel uncomfortable that it got derailed over some of the political issues discussion (no one's fault, just an internet thing), so looking forward to better interactions.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 02-02-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post

I dropped the gun off at Wilson last bash sporting the .460 Rowland barrel that I hacked into the gun to fit (SO much had to be removed from the hood of the barrel to fit the breech face) with my low skill level with 1911s and all. I asked the gun be special high grit polished and in house blued as per Rogers suggestion after handling a few of his guns and quite liking the looks. I also requested a gold bead front, low mount adjustable rear, true GI safety, flat pre-A1 mainspring housing, and to correct anything I messed up when jamming the barrel in there. Bill was $1075 and I was not charged for correcting the barrel according to the invoice.

I'm glad to have been a part of helping you understand the addiction of blued guns!

As for all the work they did on it, as you are realizing - they take a lot of pride in their work and their craftsmanship, and attention to detail is one part of that. The new test target is not surprising since the did barrel fitting work; I'm pretty sure anytime they do that kind of work (barrel fitting) it will get a through test-fire protocol along with new test target. Welcome to the Wilson club!

Oh, and I agree with others above - no collection is complete without a 1911 in Turnbull Charcoal Blue, it is mesmerizing in its own way!

And I will say that, in my personal experience, a well done blue is not as fragile as some seem to think. Shoot the snot out of it, and if the bluing ever gets worn to a place where you think it needs refreshing, it can be refreshed pretty nice. You may find that a blued 1911 with holster wear is nicer looking than a pristine one, but that sometimes takes a few decades to develop that perspective of seeing the story the gun is telling through that wear! Enjoy that refurbished Colt, and shoot the crud out of it!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 02-02-2020, 07:14 AM

+1 above...

Striker, a dirty blued gun is even more attractive than a clean one...On sunny day's after shooting a few 100 rounds, (if) you are lucky ;-), the muzzle exhaust depositing on the end of the slide forms beautiful colors reminiscent of a rainbow. Isn't it beautiful!...See pic (WW1 1911 replica in Turnbull). It was overcast that day, the colors show up much more in bright sun...And the crud comes right off so no-worries.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0370.JPG  
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 02-02-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:32 AM

Your pistol finish is spectacular. But then again, I’m bias towards bluing, heck, if I had the extra money, I’d have the deck on my push mower blued.

With all of Colt’s faults, there’s simply no denying that they make one heck of a base gun. Looking forward to your range review.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:40 AM

First off, Striker, thanks for the additional photos. Your gun is super cool! And I would bet that WC did make sure that your gun was fantastic right from the get-go. And that's no slam on us normal folks. I sent a G19 there for a sexy do-over and my customer service rep sent it back to the gunsmith 3 times to absolutely make sure that all of my magazines dropped free. I thought that was pretty awesome.

Finally, CA, I'm with you. I promise that I will focus on what we both like, and not on what we disagree about. Life is too short for that negativity and I too look forward to positive interactions.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
Your pistol finish is spectacular. But then again, I’m bias towards bluing, heck, if I had the extra money, I’d have the deck on my push mower blued. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

With all of Colt’s faults, there’s simply no denying that they make one heck of a base gun. Looking forward to your range review.
Thank you!

They do indeed make a very good base, it's actually a great value if you think about the fact I paid $580 for the colt plus $1250ish for the barrel and Wilson's work. I think $2000 is a really good deal for what I ended up with.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:16 PM

Also here is the test target that came back with my gun, I'm really perplexed by this since again the invoice doesn't mention any barrel work but my gun seems to have received it. It's also curious as to who did the work since my sheets are unmarked but I personally talked to Steve Kelly, about the gun and correcting my hack job barrel fit. I said to call me when he figured out how badly I messed up and what it would cost to fix but I just got the gun back seemingly perfect?

Here is the test target, there is no way the stock gun could do this nor the aftermarket barrel I rammed in since it was not locking up correctly.

https://imgur.com/a/iIoG18Z