Stats are In: A record setting 3,957 firearms seized by TSA in 2017 - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-20-2020, 10:14 AM

sparkyfender----- Airline passengers ARE safer now. Hijackings have been almost entirely eradicated.

But whether or not you FEEL safer is up to you.

Meanwhile, from the TSA employment website:

"TSA is currently accepting applications for a variety of positions from Ground Floor to managerial. TSA offers competitive compensation packages and benefits including:

Medical
Dental
Sick & maternity leave
And all the free pocketknives you can confiscate

Last edited by magazineman; 01-20-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
It is often correctly noted that NOBODY ever went broke under-estimating the intelligence of the 'average' American. lol
And as DNC chairman Perez said last week.."We've set a remarkably inclusive, and frankly low bar throughout the campaigns, and Im proud of that".
"And as a result of that, we have the most diverse field in American History".

He certainly wont go broke and is too stupid to realize what he just said.
The average intelligence of the Democratic Leftard should not be compared to anyone else. They don't need any help embarrassing themselves.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:43 AM

Of the 3957 firearms "discovered," how many were actually seized? It sounds like they are stopping terrorists, but maybe the vast majority of the firearms "discovered" were being legally transported, and it is just government spin.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:11 AM

Good point...it says "Discoveries" all over it.
I wonder if they find one, that they all take turns "finding" it. You could have 10 discoveries all at one time! And maybe the security guy with a gun keeps discovering his!! Facts dammit, we need the facts!!
Old 01-21-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
I'm interested in the root cause.
Small pistols with plastic frames, obviously. So light, you forget you are carrying it. Never happens with a 1911 govt model.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:49 AM

People that carry a 1911 are smart enough NOT to have it seized by the TSA.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck17 View Post
Of the 3957 firearms "discovered," how many were actually seized? It sounds like they are stopping terrorists, but maybe the vast majority of the firearms "discovered" were being legally transported, and it is just government spin.
The times I've travelled with a firearm, they had to be in checked baggage, which happens prior to any TSA checkpoints. So we're back to the usual stupidity causation.

If you own a gun AND travel by commercial airplane on occasion? I'm thinking it doesn't take a whole lot of a Sherlock Holmes level of deductive reasoning to cypher out that you need to take a peek inside your luggage before you start packing it?

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-21-2020, 09:49 AM

When traveling I might not remember the exact dollar amount in my wallet. I might forget to pack dental floss or to water the houseplants before leaving.

But I certainly DO NOT forget that I have a gun in my bag! Maintaining control of a gun is a big responsibility.

I can't forget a gun anymore than I can forget that I have an infant in my care.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:45 AM

It's nearly 11:00 a.m...., do you know where ALL your firearms are? I sure as heck do. Obviously nearly 4000 people in 2017 didn't - a lack of responsible gun ownership and care - which is on them.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-21-2020, 01:39 PM

A friend (now passed away) once drove to Canada with his legally stowed (in Florida) .45 under his seat. With Florida tags, I guess they just ask all of us if they can take a peek. The border agent found it and it was a whole lot of trouble for him, and he never got it back. :-)
Old 01-21-2020, 03:56 PM

gnappi ---------- Did your pal not disclose that he had a gun if he was asked?

Did he not see the gun signage before the border?

No offense to your late friend, but one has to be more on the ball with this stuff.

And no, they do not search all cars from Florida or anywhere else.

I suspect there's more to this story.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
A friend (now passed away) once drove to Canada with his legally stowed (in Florida) .45 under his seat. With Florida tags, I guess they just ask all of us if they can take a peek. The border agent found it and it was a whole lot of trouble for him, and he never got it back. :-)
There are lots of horror stories about international travel and the perfectly legally declared gun in the checked luggage... even when you do everything according to the law.

The horror is that someone in the airlines can screw up and you and/or the luggage ends up at the wrong airport.

A lady from the Midwest had a CCW license which was legal in Florida (Reciprocity state). She filled out the appropriate forms with the TSA, dotted all her 'i's and crossed all her 't's like she was supposed to.

She was going to a friends home in Florida from where she and her friend would spend some time before she departed on a Cruise out of a Florida port on Celebrity Cruise line the next day.

Well, the airlines screwed up royally. They lost the luggage. The luggage was supposed to go be on the carousel from which she would pick that up and go to her friends home where she planned to leave the gun at her friends home.

It was legal for her to have her gun in Florida because she had a CCW and she and her friend planned to spend a little time in Florida before she departed on the ship.

She had standing instructions to send the luggage to her friends home. But NO!, the airline decided to send her luggage to the Cayman Island which was the first port of call for the ship.

The airline made the mistake despite written instructions on where to send the luggage when it was found.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ia/3549455002/
Quote:
The strange case of how lost luggage left a 68-year-old Madison woman facing potential prison time in the Cayman Islands has taken a double twist.

Carol Ann McNeill-Skorupan flew to Florida to start a Caribbean cruise in February. One of her three bags containing her .25-caliber handgun and ammunition didn't arrive.

When the Celebrity Silhouette made its first port in George Town on Feb. 3, Cayman authorities said her missing bag was at the airport, where X-rays revealed the gun. She said she had not asked that the bag be forwarded to her and that Delta Airlines must have made that decision.
Well... it ruined her vacation and she faced prison time and tens of thousands in fines and legal costs.

A jury tried her in abstentia, (yes they let her go home but she had to post a huge bond) the jury got hung, and the next day the lady died... probably from the stress the case created.

How do you like them apples for following the law and filling out the TSA forms. You still have to cross your fingers and hope the airlines don't screw up and ruin you good life.

There have also been cases of planes diverting because of mechanical failure or weather conditions and landing in a place like NY City where guns and CCW are explicitly prohibited. The authorities there don't give a hoot that you land there with your TSA approved forms for a firearm by mistake. You go to Rikers Island to be processed for illegal procession of a firearm.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:08 PM

No travel through any other countries POE comes with any rights protecting from full search. Read the fine print.

Anyone thinking any paperwork from any state means anything to any other country just isn’t paying attention.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:27 PM

I'd like to know how many seizures involved those invisible Glocks
Old 01-22-2020, 07:10 AM

None, it would be looked upon as a racist act.....singling them out like that is not allowed!!