Lubricants and Cleaning Products and Techniques - Page 43 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 01-09-2020, 01:20 PM

For decades I've only used Breakfree/CLP, but in recent years, I've been using Ballistol and/or XF-7. Seems to work just as well and non-toxic.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian48 View Post
For decades I've only used Breakfree/CLP, but in recent years, I've been using Ballistol and/or XF-7. Seems to work just as well and non-toxic.
Let me re-phrase that

Quote:
I've been using [add a gun oil name here] and/or [add a gun oil name here]. Seems to work just as well
I do choose between grease/oil and viscosity based on where the crud has to go and what type of interface it is (slide vs bearing, and relative movement during the action cycle, etc). But I find no conclusive evidence that one or another brand of oil (or grease) is really better than any other. There will be the fringe cases, like super cold or hot, but in general, seems to not matter.

But, perhaps non-toxic is a good metric for decision making, etc.

PAO synthetics are a good choice as they 1) are less hygroscopic, and 2) last longer than non-synths.

I however have little regard for most metrics, I oil where needed with whatever is available, and availability is plentiful, etc.

You will not like my next statement.

If you are spending more than ~$5 for 1qt of synthetic oil for gun lube, you spent too much. That's right, 1qt of 0w20 SuperTech synth at walmart is just $5 !! Enough lube for 20 guns for 1yr shooting 500rnds daily !!!

Why do I have all sorts of funny mixes? Because I can, for the fun of it.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
GONRA's another "Moly Guy" for non-galling (SS-on-SS, Al on anything) etc. grease applications. MolyKote MoS2 "G" paste verks GREAT!
Is the G paste the "G-n Metal Assembly" stuff? If so that's a MoS2 in lithium mineral base. For that price though I would look for MoS2 in a PAO synth base.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:32 PM

So what do you really need for grease and oil?

For most, my suggestion would be:

Oil - any full synth motor oil. 0w20 or 0w30 is ok. Qty 1qt.
Grease - CRC Sta-Lube SL3301. Qty 2.5oz

Good stuff, will last a long time.

Be sure to ponder over all this just before you fall asleep
Old 01-09-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
If you are spending more than ~$5 for 1qt of synthetic oil for gun lube, you spent too much.
We're on a 1911 forum, where entry level guns cost $1,000, .45 Auto factory ball ammo costs $0.50 per round, and a 4oz bottle of gun lube will last through several thousands of rounds of ammo and were concerned about the cost of that lube? Come on, man!
Old 01-09-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
We're on a 1911 forum, where entry level guns cost $1,000, .45 Auto factory ball ammo costs $0.50 per round, and a 4oz bottle of gun lube will last through several thousands of rounds of ammo and were concerned about the cost of that lube? Come on, man!
That was not the point.

Nobody ever argued over the costs. I made a pseudo reference point. One can choose to go above or below that at their leisure.

That $25 bottle of oil/stuff is likely $20 more for the same protections offered by each product. Notice I did not even mention volume for that $.

But sure, if one wants to go by a motto of "the gun cost $1100, so a 4oz bottle of SuperDuperOil for $40 is ok", then so be it.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:41 PM

Fine gun oil.
That's what Colt says to use in the owners manual that came with mine, so that's what I use.
It's been 40 years since I first read that manual and no problems so I'd have to say they're on to something.
Outer's is what I have but any brand should be just fine.
Colt didn't make a distinction.

Last edited by John Joseph; 01-09-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
Fine gun oil.
That's what Colt says to use in the owners manual that came with mine, so that's what I use.
It's been 40 years since I first read that manual and no problems so I'd have to say they're on to something.
Outer's is what I have but any brand should be just fine.
Colt didn't make a distinction.
It just needs to be "quality" and "light". So, any 1 of the 1,000 bottles that have a label on it shall suffice

Old 01-10-2020, 07:56 PM

Lsa

mil-l-46000b
Old 01-10-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
It's in multiple places
Thread Tools is the 1st fastest way. Or use your User CP.
Thank you. Now I'm so blessed to know.

(Point was more voting = more efficient input and display of info, less accumulation of reading material that few will actually read.)
Old 01-11-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
...Nobody ever argued over the costs. I made a pseudo reference point. One can choose to go above or below that at their leisure. ...
I believe the poster causing you to post that response was responding to your actual statement, “If you are spending more than ~$5 for 1qt of synthetic oil for gun lube, you spent too much.

I understand the poster making a rebuttal to your statement. A group of followers of one of the “big honchos” on a local forum I hang out on basically ridicules anyone not using Mobile One both from a cost and effectiveness positions. Actual experiences of others not using Mobile One are immediately discounted and posters are chastised. I believe that was the nature of the comment on a $5 quart of engine oil. I personally take exceptions to such innuendos, but I just consider the source and don’t lose a moments sleep over it.

From a more technical perspective the 1911 (small arms in general) doesn’t develop the near pressures and loads of an engine. Thus, some of the high pressure compounds included are not utilized and are counter productive. So you are using compounds wasted. Practical experience has borne out engine oil will give credible protection and I have used it a time or two out of necessity, not choice. I’ve spent nearly 50 years in the auto industry, 46 of those years as a professional, in the repair and technical arenas. In light of all the exposure to lubes, applications, operating parameters, I still prefer to use lubes formulated for firearms. I know what has worked for me with positive results and don’t jump on trying every new nontoxic gizzard friendly lube appearing on the market nor popular mixes. My preferences and I don’t criticize others for using their favorite brand or concoction, even if it costs $7 for 5 fluid ounces. It IS gun lube.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 01-11-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
I believe the poster causing you to post that response was responding to your actual statement, “If you are spending more than ~$5 for 1qt of synthetic oil for gun lube, you spent too much.

I still prefer to use lubes formulated for firearms

I know what he was replying to, and my statement still holds true. You not getting anything much better than a $5 qt of oil from Walmart. Some may not believe that, but that's on "you" to go ponder over. My background in material science tells me all I need to know.

What are the special requirements of small arms that foster "special lubes for firearms"? If there was something special then the Colt user manual would not just say "a quality light oil".
You know, automotive has all sorts of standards like GL4, EP, SAE, API, etc etc etc, spec'd for specific applications like engine oil, diff oil, chassis grease, wheel bearings, etc etc.. What's the functional lubrication standard requirement for a 1911, or a Glock 9? Do any small arms manuals specify a lubrication spec/standard to use? Let me know if you find any.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 01-11-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
i use wilson's ultra lube:
Ultima-lube ii oil - thin viscosity penetrates hard to get to areas. Ideal for cold weather use, 10į to 350į f temperature range. Recommended uses: Tightly fitted handguns of all types.

Ultima-lube ii universal - all purpose lube for all types of firearms. Stays put under extreme conditions, 40į to 350į f temperature range. Recommended uses: Service pistols/revolvers and broken-in custom handguns, long guns of all action types, ar style rifles in the 20į to 50į f temperature range.

Ultima-lube ii grease - ideal for heavy wear areas. Stays put under extreme conditions, 40į to 350į f temperature range. Recommended uses: Full and semi-auto rifles and carbines, optimal in ar style rifles at temperatures above 50į f.
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/maintena.../products/226/
bill
Old 01-16-2020, 05:38 PM

I use Super Lube grease mixed with breakfree to the consistency I like for lubrication on the slide, barrel and frame '

Hoppes traditional to clean . Kroil to lube inside of barrel and trigger bow and breakfree to lube trigger parts
Old 01-16-2020, 06:48 PM

I've been looking at tungsten disulfide (WS2) which is super slick.
Don't need an ounce and for just a bit more money I bought a bottle of Archoil AR4400LP.
My head says don't get your hopes up but you know how it is when you want to just play with something new.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:35 PM

I been using moly since it was offered to me in the 70’s. I tried it in every metal to metal contact high pressure situation there is. Never had a problem yet. I burnish it into the metal to metal contact moving parts. Like the slide grooves and frame rails. Don’t use too much. Just a little will do. Moly, eliminates all wear, reduces friction, prevents galling, fights corrosion, oil is for the bores.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 01-16-2020, 10:04 PM

The Archoil instructions say apply to a clean firearm. Run a patch with the oil on it down the bore 15-20 times, let sit 15 minutes then wipe dry. Nothing specific about the rest of the gun.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I know what he was replying to, and my statement still holds true. You not getting anything much better than a $5 qt of oil from Walmart. Some may not believe that, but that's on "you" to go ponder over. My background in material science tells me all I need to know.

What are the special requirements of small arms that foster "special lubes for firearms"? If there was something special then the Colt user manual would not just say "a quality light oil".
You know, automotive has all sorts of standards like GL4, EP, SAE, API, etc etc etc, spec'd for specific applications like engine oil, diff oil, chassis grease, wheel bearings, etc etc.. What's the functional lubrication standard requirement for a 1911, or a Glock 9? Do any small arms manuals specify a lubrication spec/standard to use? Let me know if you find any.
1. Exactly what is your background in material science?

2. ďWhat are the special requirements of small arms that foster "special lubes for firearms"? If there was something special then the Colt user manual would not just say "a quality light oil"..

Someone with your background and expertise in material science and mechanisms should be able to determine that. Then you can inform us the technical reasons and rationale, en masse, the marketed gun lubes with positive track records shouldnít be used. At the end of said dissertation, you wouldnít criticize someoneís choice to buy a 6 ounce bottle of lube to care for their $500 to $3000 firearms.

Like I said, whatever someone uses to lube their guns is fine by me, it is a personal and passionate subject. I read and learn. Others donít care to be demeaned by someone with a different perspective. You should join the followers on our local forum, you would fit right in.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
1. Exactly what is your background in material science? Nuclear engineering is my education and background. Needless to say, materials and material sciences is a core discipline to the field.

2. “What are the special requirements of small arms that foster "special lubes for firearms"? If there was something special then the Colt user manual would not just say "a quality light oil"..

Someone with your background and expertise in material science and mechanisms should be able to determine that.

I did, just told you that the $5 full-synth 0w20 will suffice. You seem to challenge that, so was asking you what the special requirements are beyond what a synth 0w20 will provide, etc. The film strength of a synth 0w20 is rather high.

Then you can inform us the technical reasons and rationale, en masse, the marketed gun lubes with positive track records shouldn’t be used. At the end of said dissertation, you wouldn’t criticize someone’s choice to buy a 6 ounce bottle of lube to care for their $500 to $3000 firearms.

Like I said, whatever someone uses to lube their guns is fine by me, it is a personal and passionate subject. I read and learn. Others don’t care to be demeaned by someone with a different perspective. You should join the followers on our local forum, you would fit right in.

Ok, agree. I never called anyone a fool for buying or using or making what they want. It's your $$, use it any way you like. We agree.
My replies inline in red.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 01-17-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:10 PM

Well, sounds good but there are still contradictions between selection of substance and application. Iíll agree to disagree.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Well, sounds good but there are still contradictions between selection of substance and application. Iíll agree to disagree.
Please explain, I not quite following what you mean.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Can you elaborate further? Why is a 0w oil not the right selection?
Old 02-28-2020, 09:51 AM

Ballistol
Old 02-29-2020, 08:56 AM

Slip 2000 gun oil and Slip 2000 EWG for rails.

NRA Life-Benefactor