1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-28-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Iron Wolf View Post
Yep. I do recall that overall Dragnet wasn't gun owner friendly. I also recall ol Jack doing that flip the cylinder closed a few times or more. Total cringe worthy moment.

Regarding that military law enforcement instincts. Seems nobody can do real journalism anymore. They have to toss in some oh wow kind of hook that makes no sense to an informed person, but I guess they think it dramatizes the situation more. The same nonsense with scripted reality shows.

I didn't go to Basic Training until I was 24 and active duty at 26. I had a firearm at home before that and knew how to use it. I generally insisted on sitting in a back corner or at least somewhere with my back to the wall and an eye on the door and view of the room. I got out of the Army in 94. I would be talking about some concept or way of doing things with my Dad or we would be out shooting and he would ask me, "Did they teach you that in the Army?" I'd reply, "Nope. I learned it on my own or from people I was around. They didn't learn it from the Army either."

Some of the dumbest people around firearms and knives I've come across were either active, or former military. Same for some LE.
This is part of the dilemma. We kids were taught to shoot by our dads or uncles. It was almost a right of passage being trusted with a loaded firearm. My male HS instructors all were hunters and many were seasonal rangers during summer vacation and just about every house in my town had war trophy and/or a military surplus handgun somewhere, and out on the farms there was the ubiquitous shotgun behind the back door. Without that kind of shared reality and respect passed down from generation to generation, firearms have become something evil and frightening to most people.
So take your kid shooting and spread the enthusiasm
Old 12-28-2019, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
The word that I got was that Jack Webb was actually a pretty pro gun guy. This may not necessarily be reflected in some of the episodes. But hey anybody that attaches much attention to television. Well they are generally morons anyway.
Being a pro-gun guy doesn't help when you're given an anti-gun script. I believe Mel Gibson is pro-gun, but he's also the one who made the infamous wisecrack in Lethal Weapon 4 about a psycho killer being a "spokesman for the NRA". The producers of that trilogy were extremely anti-gun and they made sure the actors toed the party line, regardless of what their personal beliefs might have been.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec View Post
From the article: "I dropped my dad's 100-year-old double-barrel [shotgun], I don't even remember doing that, and went for the sidearm that I carry with me underneath my jacket," Gorney told the Minot Daily News. "My instincts as a military law enforcement officer took over. There was no thought process. It was self-defense."

A mountain lion 10' away and the guy drops his shotgun to resort to a 9x19? At that range the shotgun is way more effective than a 9x19 handgun.
He was pheasant hunting so that means he was using birdshot. It wouldn't be my first choice to stop a charging mountain lion.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec View Post
From the article: "I dropped my dad's 100-year-old double-barrel [shotgun], I don't even remember doing that, and went for the sidearm that I carry with me underneath my jacket," Gorney told the Minot Daily News. "My instincts as a military law enforcement officer took over. There was no thought process. It was self-defense."

A mountain lion 10' away and the guy drops his shotgun to resort to a 9x19? At that range the shotgun is way more effective than a 9x19 handgun.
He was pheasant hunting so that means he was using birdshot. It wouldn't be my first choice to stop a charging mountain lion.
I’d have used the shotgun.....there are several cases of bird hunters in Montana killing brown bears with their shotguns, a couple the past two years alone.

No way I’d have dropped a loaded shotgun to dig around for a pistol. My initial read has a high BS factor attached to this story.

Or the guy is dumber than a bag of doorknobs.

Last edited by shooter59; 12-29-2019 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-29-2019, 01:31 PM

A face full of bird shot suitable for pheasant would have certainly got the mountain lion's attention and most likely stopped a charge. Possibly blinded the animal. After two shots from that if it was still a threat dig for the 9mm. A hell of a lot easier to miss a critical shot with a pistol on a charging animal.

R.I.P. Miss Andi. It was a fine, long run old pup and I miss ya. AIW
Old 01-01-2020, 05:26 PM

Weve been watching a lot of Perry Mason episodes dating from the late 50s to the mid-late 60s. Almost always when a handgun is mentioned, Mason will make a remark wondering if the gun is registered. The program mostly takes place in California. I grew up in that same California, guns were not required to be registered. In the mid-sixties I bought my Ruger Super Blackhawk from the under sheriff of my county. Money and the gun were passed. No papers of any kind were recorded.

Back to to the Mason show. Im appalled how the attorneys and law enforcement handle handguns. Even though the guns are props, there is absolutely no concern of safe handling of firearms. They point them everywhere! It makes me cringe every time I see that behavior. Very ignorant firearms handling.

NRA Benefactor Life Member